fheroes2: Resurrection

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Free Heroes of Might and Magic II Resurrection

Unread postby sirDranik » 25 May 2021, 12:41

Hi, @Pol
Can you point the difference with the original game(where I made the screenshot) :)
According to graphic enhancements.... We definitely will add something. But now is too early. We have considerable amount of bugs and still have some places where can make engine faster.
P.S. Isn't fheroes2 not enough smooth for you now?)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 May 2021, 12:57

difference..
There's none but the shadow is wrong nonethless. All of the shadows must go in the same direction.

Pretty smooth, must agree. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 25 May 2021, 13:37

That's true. :)
With our custom rendering engine we can fix even this issue.
But I think, we'll leave such flaws on the latest stage of development of fheroes2 project... When other more essential bugs will be fixed.
I've made an issue for the bug you've found.

I appreciate your review of our project in news :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 May 2021, 13:43

You are welcome ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 06 Jun 2021, 20:09

Dear Heroes of Might and Magic II fans.

We're pleased to announce a brand new 0.9.4 release!

Past release had a basic support of The Succession Wars campaign which was good but not an ideal. In the past month we polished every aspect of the campaign, adding missing video scenes, fixing multiple discovered issues and even bugs encountered in the original game. But this is not everything, we added a full support of The Price of Loyalty campaigns! So now you could enjoy playing all 6 campaigns originally present in HoMM2.

The list of new features for this release includes an extended display of number of days in cursors, added shadow for magic book and showing double shadow for 2-hex monsters in the battle. You can easily plan your move without guessing where the creature will move at. Also if want to see how many creatures were in your army at the beginning of the battle or how powerful and useful your hero is you could open Hero Screen right from the battle!

Additionally, we improve overall performance and now it's up to 30% faster than previous version. Also the game consumes much less resources which is a way to deploy the game on portable devices in the future.

At last but not at least, we added a fully optional installer on Windows making the game installation easy and intuitive. Unix users receive an updated script for installation as well. Please note that from this version the game will store all save files in a separate place: for Windows it's user profile directory, for Unix it's XGD directory.

As usual our team fixed over 100 bugs, polishing AI, fixing many logical issues and UI defects.

We hope that you would like to play the updated game and stay tuned for more exciting news in the future!
Last edited by sirDranik on 06 Jun 2021, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 07 Jun 2021, 07:29

Jeez.. this is coming along really well! Wowzer!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 07 Jun 2021, 14:16

Blake wrote:Jeez.. this is coming along really well! Wowzer!
We hope, this year will be 1.0 release. ;)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 07 Jun 2021, 14:49

Frankly, me too. :D
"We made it!"

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 07 Jun 2021, 19:08

The more popular our project becomes, the more contributors appear. Things can happen, so we can finish even earlier. ;)
Between, Pol. I've talked to master dev, and he counts that shadow of Lighting Rod is correct.. It's a small stick standing with a certain angle to a ground and it's shadow falls according to the lighting of the game... I'm not sure we can render it in other way comparing to all other shadows... Probably, we should ask artist to draw a completely new shadow for this object... But how should it look then?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jun 2021, 06:09

That's obvious but that certain angle is wrong ;) I'm curious if there could be more objects like that?

Because checking the shadows carefully..
"We made it!"

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 09 Jun 2021, 05:55

How is your new AI going? As recreating the AI to behave similar to the old one without any source must be a nightmare!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 09 Jun 2021, 08:54

Hi, Blake!
Blake wrote:How is your new AI going? As recreating the AI to behave similar to the old one without any source must be a nightmare!
We're working on it constantly, improving multiple aspects of its behaviour each month. I believe, we can make it much better than the original one. That's true, implementing a strong AI is not a trivial task... But we're trying to do our best!

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 09 Jun 2021, 09:22

Cool! Have tested out your latest version. Looking good man! Nice to see Heroes 2 in 1080P HD on my big screen! And I noticed a few AIs running around fighting battles and stealing treasure etc so I can see you've already done some good work with them haha. :)

For anyone interested in my HD test shots here they are below. They're slightly distorted as sadly when I hit PrtScn & pasted into paint it snapped the slightly squished windowed version despite me having the game full screen with no window bar at top when I hit the key. I'm not using windows 10 so maybe the sniping tool on that will take true 1080p full screen shots.

(Click to expand)
Last edited by Blake on 09 Jun 2021, 09:56, edited 2 times in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 09 Jun 2021, 09:38

Oh and I know this question is going to sound crazy and will probably never happen as most people's love with HoMM began with HoMM2 but I started at HoMM1 back in 1995 (when it came on a PC Gamer demo disc) and still have huge love for its graphics & simplicity plus I especially love its colourful animating town screens with all the units in front of their dwellings doing their stuff lol. Despite the endless hours I've put into all it's sequels over the years I still come back to it every few years for a game. So I nearly friggin died when the HoMM3 Succession Wars mod team teased that HoMM1 mod April fools joke facebook post a few years back lol.

But anyway the question is once the FreeHoMM2 project is finished later this year would you guys in the new team maybe maybe maybe consider a modded HoMM1 version of your excellent work in the future? As HoMM2 was basically HoMM1 with a bunch of (great) stuff added on top so if the sub skills, 2 extra races, extra battle hexes, extra spells, units & heroes etc were disabled and the AI taught to not use them then you'd basically have a HoMM1 like engine ready for HoMM1 graphics import. Hell I'd even take a simpler/easier 'dirty' HoMM1 graphics import with all the extra HoMM2 stuff still left turned on lol. We have those lovely HD mods for HoMM3 & 4 now days so if this was done then that would be it, the final missing link and the whole series would be available in HD! :)

The HoMM3 SW April Fools shot from a few years back..
Last edited by Blake on 09 Jun 2021, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 09 Jun 2021, 10:10

I like your passion for this nice old game!
But unfortunately, both these games (H1 & H2) work in essential different manner. So this is not possible to adapt fheroes2 engine for Heroes 1 game. I even no sure, that images are rendered in the same way in this games.... So, to create a remake for H1 we need to write from a scratch an independent engine.
Probably, inspired by our project, someone would like to create similar for the first Heroes... But for now we're working only on fheroes2. Who knows, maybe in future there could appear another project on HoMM series by our team....

P.S. Nice art. )
Last edited by sirDranik on 09 Jun 2021, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 10 Jun 2021, 06:28

darn.. yeah I figured it was a fools dream but a nice one to think about hehe.

It's great that you guys are doing this open source on github as that indeed does increase the chances of others being inspired by your engine for a HoMM1 rebuild.

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 10 Jun 2021, 20:31

We're trying to make highest quality project to prove, that even a fan-made, opensource project could shine and offer fans and players flawless experience.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 11 Jun 2021, 07:42

I think you're well on your way to achieving that goal mate. Things are looking really good.

I do youtube videos website tributes on high quality fan rebuilds (eg Palm Kingdoms, OpenRA, Dune Legacy, FreeCiv, FreeCol, MoM-IME, OpenIG etc) so now that you guys are in that final stretch I'll definitely have to do something about your work in the future. :)

sirDranik
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sirDranik » 11 Jun 2021, 14:35

We really appreciate that! :)

cjleeagain
Biclops
Biclops

Unread postby cjleeagain » 20 Jun 2021, 04:02

just one random comment, but I think the name:

fheroes2

it's just that little bit too, unfortunate? (Read it aloud.)

In any case I was just here to look for H3 Factory. Looks like it's not yet out...
Writer and Janitor

Main Site: https://www.thezil.org
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OrganizationZil
My patreon page is https://www.patreon.com/zzo

Return to “Heroes I-IV”