Heroes II : edit french translation ?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mornagest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes II : edit french translation ?

Unread postby Mornagest » 22 May 2020, 12:48

Hi,

I re-re-re-re-re-discovered Heroes 2 for the 50th time at least, and as always, I feel some frustration as I read the French translation that is, in my opinion, somewhat incorrect.

So I decided to search on the Web to find the way to edit text but it seems to be a bit difficult. If I'm correct, the whole text is included in the HEROES2.EXE file, but how is it possible to edit it without breaking the full executable ?

I must precise that I use the GOG version and I play on Ubuntu Linux with Wine (though I have Windows 7 but no desire to use it unless I have no choice).

Thank you in advance for your answers :)

GodRage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Heroes II : edit french translation ?

Unread postby GodRage » 04 Jul 2020, 10:04

Hi, :hoo:
Your request seems related to modding.
(I did some things like that for the original version, but I guess the same rules applies to the gog version)
You will need an Hexa editor (there is one in Notepad++), and to not break the exe you must fit your text in the current text area. So, in few words you can't write something longer than the actual texts in your exe. And when your text is shorter, you must put blank spaces, in order to make the same length.

However you may have a better chance to get help there: https://heroes2.forumactif.com/f2-gener ... ii-modding
or maybe by installing ironfist over your gog version. (Ironfist mod seems much more editable than the gog version).

Mornagest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mornagest » 04 Jul 2020, 20:57

Hi GodRage,

Thank you for your answer :) I'll give a try with Notepad++ though I think I already tried it but without knowing the trick for the words length !

One question : why should I install a mod to edit the original text ?

Thanks !

(je me permets de doubler en français histoire d'être sûr de ne pas faire de grosse faute en anglais ^^)

Salut GodRage et merci pour ta réponse ! J'avais tenté avec Notepad ++ mais je ne connaissais pas l'astuce obligatoire de la longueur des mots à ne pas modifier. Je vais voir de ce côté.

Ceci dit, je ne comprends pas pourquoi je devrais installer un mod pour corriger le texte original du jeu. J'ai raté quelque chose ?

Merci !

GodRage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GodRage » 19 Oct 2020, 11:56

French :
Désolé, j'ai pas reçu d'email de notification 8|

Pour la longueur des mots, c'est quand on édite le .exe du jeu de base, mais je pense que la version GOG aura le même soucis. :)
Donc l'astuce, c'est que si le mot (ou la phrase) est plus courte que l'originale, tu peux mettre des espaces vides pour "remplir" la zone du texte (sur mon Heroes2w.exe ce sont des points . ;) )

Ironfist permet de modifier pas mal de trucs dans le jeu, et donc ça doit être plus facile de traduire H2 une fois que le mod est installé. (Je crois me rappeler que j'avais vu des noms de créature dans des fichiers XML ^^)

English:
To make it short;
When Hexa-editing, we can fill the remaining space with empty/neutral values.
Ironfist seems to make such task easier, as I think I saw some creature's names into XML files.

Mornagest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mornagest » 21 Oct 2020, 19:58

OK, merci ! Je tenterai la manip... un peu plus tard, car je suis tombé dans Baldur's Gate 3, présentement... !

Thanks, I'll have a try one of these days!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”