HoMM3 Town Tips?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alure155
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM3 Town Tips?

Unread postby Alure155 » 30 Jul 2019, 00:26

Sometimes, I and a friend of mine like to play 1v1 games on 100% difficulty on randomly-generated XL maps (well, we only played against each other once and did some games where we were playing against the AI). As far as rules go, there are none. Anything and everything is allowed. We play the original HoMM3, not HotA. The towns that I like to play as are Inferno and Fortress. Inferno is one of my top choices because of the ability to farm demons and get efreets early, and Fortress is another top choice for several reasons (Such as having mighty gorgons, being able to get wyverns almost immediately, Tazar, etc.). Do you guys have any tips for playing as these two towns (And maybe others) in regards to build order, strategy, choice of hero, and other things?
Last edited by Alure155 on 30 Jul 2019, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: HoMM3 Town Tips?

Unread postby Pitsu » 31 Jul 2019, 16:05

Against neutrals and AI Inferno is a very efficent town. Devils, especially with force field and high mana can take on pretty much everything. If armageddon is available, a second main hero does efretogeddon and map clearing goes really fast and no lower level units are needed. Demon farming is IMO not needed against AI most of the time - too little gain from too much micromanagment (math, proper area spells to kill your own troops in controlled manner, opponents who do not die too early). Against humans I would farm as much as possible, although still would not set it as the highest priority.

While mighty gorgons are cool unit, they are IMO for decisive battles and I get them late and rarely use for map clearing. The base dwelling is built, but most battles fought with wyrvens, flies, basilisks and lizards. Lack of level 4 spells is bad for fortress, thus on larger maps training a scholar and hiring heroes with ressurection/prayer starting spells is theoretically an option. But it depends what other players and towns and how developed there are.

Build order is nearly always to get the dwelling of troops that allow map clearing (i.e. take neutrals with minimal casualties) first. Everything else is built when or if it does not hinder getting the key troops. The faster and with lower losses you clear the neutrals, the faster you grow and stronger you get.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”