Build the Grail - HoMM IV victory condition?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Build the Grail - HoMM IV victory condition?

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Jun 2019, 16:10

Hi all,

would anyone be so kind as to walk me through enabling the above as the condition for winning a map? I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable this, or any other special victory conditions in the map editor.

Thanks for the help.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Build the Grail - HoMM IV victory condition?

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 11 Jun 2019, 17:32

I don't think there is anything specific like that in the editor. You probably need to do a test if player has structure (grail), then victory. Might be best under continuous scripts if you can add the check there.

Been a little while since I've used the editor, so that's all I can think of right now.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 11 Jun 2019, 17:39

I just looked through a list of most* of the H4 scripts available here, and I don't see anything about checking for a structure, so you may have to come up with something creative if there isn't a way to enable this through the editor (might be a checkbox hiding in one of the menus).

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Jun 2019, 19:51

Ouch! For all the capabilities of the HoMM IV editor, you'd expect a variety of victory conditions to be available from a drop-down menu (like it was in HoMM II, for example), but no such luck. Too bad.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 11 Jun 2019, 20:41

I'll try to open up the Editor tonight and have a look. There should be SOMETHING there that you can do.

Karmakeld might have some ideas.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 Jun 2019, 21:57

Unfortunately there is no script in the town menu or elsewhere that checks for a specific structure; so to the best of my knowledge, setting it as a victory condition can't be done.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 11 Jun 2019, 22:44

You could potentially check if a hero at a certain town has the grail in their possession, and set victory that way, no? Then the victory condition would be to bring the grail to a specific town.

There is a "has artifact" script which will let you select the type of artifact to check for.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Jun 2019, 20:50

Is he asking about the Grail artifact, which yes could be done with the check artifact. But I thought he was asking about building the grail structure such as the Holy Avatar which would require a check if has building script and that doesn't exist.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Jun 2019, 21:02

bear in mind this build the Grail is the main condition of Tawni's Chaos campaign map 3 The Strait of the Lost by the NWC, I have uploaded that map for you so you may see how it was done (basically exactly how iLiVeInAbOx05 suggested) lol

check the town Rumport (middle town) and under Entered check the script, this triggers the variable if you have a Grail which so forth triggers the Continuous Event to win, it is the official way they handled this (no deeper check) cheers lol

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jun 2019, 21:47

jeff wrote:Is he asking about the Grail artifact, which yes could be done with the check artifact. But I thought he was asking about building the grail structure such as the Holy Avatar which would require a check if has building script and that doesn't exist.
Yes, he did say when building the grail, but I was offering a work around to simulate that as a victory condition.
Erwinner wrote:bear in mind this build the Grail is the main condition of Tawni's Chaos campaign map 3 The Strait of the Lost by the NWC, I have uploaded that map for you so you may see how it was done (basically exactly how iLiVeInAbOx05 suggested) lol

check the town Rumport (middle town) and under Entered check the script, this triggers the variable if you have a Grail which so forth triggers the Continuous Event to win, it is the official way they handled this (no deeper check) cheers lol
Perfect, thanks for that!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jun 2019, 01:36

Thanks for that I will look at how this is done as I am not aware of any condition you can set to check for a structure. So I hope to learn something; it would have made some of the scripts easier and the work arounds unnecessary.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”