Questions about Elemental Planes

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
FreeSlave
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Questions about Elemental Planes

Unread postby FreeSlave » 16 Feb 2019, 00:58

Are Elemental Planes shared between M&M worlds or each one has its own set of Elemental Planes? In other words if there were gates to Elemental Planes on Axeoth would they lead to the same places as portals near Jadame in M&M8 and Conflux from Masters of elements chronicles?
If they are shared does it mean that creatures living in Elemental Planes are aware of variety of external worlds or once they are summoned there's no way back for them? If Elemental Planes are shared could not people use them as a transition point to travel from Enroth to other M&M worlds?

FreeSlave
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Questions about Elemental Planes

Unread postby FreeSlave » 03 Mar 2019, 17:24

Bumping the thread.
Considering that elemental lords were in m&m 2 which is not on Enroth, I guess Elemental planes exist as unique planes in Ancient universe after all. So the questions above stay.

Maybe the topic should be moved to M&M section, I don't know.
Last edited by FreeSlave on 03 Mar 2019, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Mar 2019, 19:15

Guess this is never really explained that tight but can consider that elemental planes are as large as material one (i.e size of cosmic universe), so opening it would place you in different space of same plane. Its not like whole water plane is 1x1 km map we see in mm8
That of course opens questions why gateway was so important if we could just open portals to same spot and use as transit plane, but to be honest mm world dont really have same lore strength as some other games where everything is explained to much more of a detail

FreeSlave
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FreeSlave » 03 Mar 2019, 19:43

Tress wrote: That of course opens questions why gateway was so important if we could just open portals to same spot and use as transit plane
That would be my follow-up question. Why would ancients need some sort of gate stations if they could capture and control elemental lords easily (Escaton did it alone in M&M8) and travel through the elemental planes without troubles.
Also mages could use controllable elementals to get knowledge about other worlds. And efreets could move between the worlds using their home fire plane.

Looks like a big plot hole in the universe.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Mar 2019, 20:08

My guess, there isnt good answer as plot was probably made up on spot in pause between mm7-8 (so 1 year, during which you cant make solid lore that would explain everything, specially with team that isnt huge), and it just sounded cool as plot device. On other hand we can think up number of reasons and rationalizations, like if that would be done, then Elemental lords would kick their butts eventually if that would keep happening and their domain would be used as doorway for constant travel. Second rationalization is that crystal palace served as beacon so they need to open portal on endpoint anyway, thus they need someone to come and place it (which again maybe can be done limited times), which would be pretty much same as connecting to gateway anyway.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”