H3: ban grail on random maps

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jötunn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H3: ban grail on random maps

Unread postby Jötunn » 11 Jan 2019, 16:33

Is there any mod to do that?

That grail is just an annoying and gamebreaking mechanic. I'm generally doing better than the computer, but the computer wins, because he has the grail. I've failed quite much, but I still win, because the grail was right between my castle and the last obelis I needed.

Also, it encourages you to save-dig-reload-tryagain, because otherwise if you lose, it will be RNG to complain about, not you.

Can't I just have a fair play without the grail? Or, at least, a mod that would make grail always appear on neutral territory.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: H3: ban grail on random maps

Unread postby Pol » 12 Jan 2019, 10:06

As for mod I don't know about any.

You are asking about "random maps" and there's no in game solution. Of course, you can save that map, and edit it in the map editor. If you are really, really curious you can use "Map Editor Unleashed"

Of course, that you don't need it. The simplest fix would be to remove all obelisks, or to place grail manually or you can create grail's towns.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Jötunn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jötunn » 13 Jan 2019, 14:39

hmm, I don'T play WoG and I hate it for its bugs and crashes, so no map editor unleashed for me.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Jan 2019, 19:20

The Unleashed Map Editor is SoD and H3C compatible.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

cjleeagain
Biclops
Biclops

Unread postby cjleeagain » 17 Jan 2019, 08:32

I don't understand the poster's concerns. Most veteran players should feel the same - the grail contributes minimally to victory or defeat if you are an experienced player versus the computer. I can't count the number of times when I have trashed a strangely numerous AI only to find that the AI has a grail structure.

On a human player, the grail makes a significant difference, of course.
Writer and Janitor

Main Site: https://www.thezil.org
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OrganizationZil
My patreon page is https://www.patreon.com/zzo

sigmundfreud
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sigmundfreud » 05 Jun 2019, 21:23

I 've tried random map vs AI once. And you know what? Grail was not a problem at all. I was literally imprisoned in my own castle for a couple of weeks if not months, since the only road was guarded by 50 griffins. No sawmill, no ore pit, no rare resources, no gold mine - nothing, so the only way to get out would be to build a market and slowly accumulate forces hoping that these griffins will multiply slower than my army. Instead of wasting my time I cheated and checked how the AI was doing: he had most of his mines completely unguarded (the most important: 2 ore pits and 1 sawmill) and he also had 5 (!) mystical gardens stacked on top of each other.
I was like WTF how could anyone possibly play this crap? Then I googled how the tournaments are played. Well, people just restart over and over again till they get something remotely playable. But there is still too much luck involved, e.g. creature banks and prisons: if one player has stacked 30+ wyverns or 10+ angels and freed a 25 lvl hero from the prison - you will never catch up with him, he won the game. There is nothing you can do about it.

So the solution is simple - do not use this random crap generator, first play all the maps which come with the game, then search for good fan-made maps. Only man-made maps can be balanced and fun to play.
Last edited by sigmundfreud on 05 Jun 2019, 21:25, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”