I have issues with my h4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I have issues with my h4

Unread postby kRED » 19 Aug 2017, 15:57

I welcome every unlucky viewer of this thread (cuz every problem is troublesome), and i want to ask you for help with my Heroes IV game. I have a problem with starting it, because... it doesn't even start. i installed my game, and so far everything was going fantastic, but when i clicked to run it, the only change was in cursor's loading wheel. For 1 second, literally. As to what version of h4 this is, i do not know as well. When i tried to update version with patches from web, every one of them gave me the message "unknown version of patch". Also im running polish version of game. Could anyone try to figure out what is wrong with it? I know it doesn't matter anything, but h4 is my favourite game from all the heroes, and im heartbroken about the fact i can't play it. Thanks in advance for reading it. Have a nice day.

And sorry about my english. I know it's not very fluid.

Edit.: Also, i would be very grateful if solution to my problem wouldn't include formatting my pc.
Last edited by kRED on 19 Aug 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

jeff

Re: I have issues with my h4

Unread postby jeff » 19 Aug 2017, 17:04

I am sure there are those who can give you some help. To aid them they will need to know is it the standard Heroes IV, or is it Gathering Storm or Winds of War. Before applying any patches you need to know that. At https://www.celestialheavens.com/homam-iv you can find a complete list of patches including Polish.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 19 Aug 2017, 17:41

It is gold edition with both GS and WoW. If u will have other questions, then ask, I'll do what i can to help.
Last edited by kRED on 19 Aug 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Aug 2017, 18:25

And Windows version?

Did you tried compatibility settings and/or set the core affinity?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 20 Aug 2017, 04:17

Windows 7, i tried compability settings, as for the core affinity, i cant set something that doesn't even show up in the task manager.
Last edited by kRED on 20 Aug 2017, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Aug 2017, 15:29

If you have multi-core CPU, you can do it from Process window within "Process Manager" but there's other, easier way and that's to create a shortcut, see the end of this guide.

There could be more reasons, why the program is not working now. One of them may be interference with antivirus or firewall, in that case you will need to define and exception.

If you don't rely on on you PL version, you may safely go with Equilibris, all four files are necessary.

Generally:
1 - Define and exception in AV/Firewall
2 - Set program compatibility
3 - Set core affinity
4 - Check if the program is not damaged and it's better if it's placed outside of Windows standard "Program Files" folder.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 20 Aug 2017, 16:43

I've actually read that guide this morning, the problem is that the game doesn't even appear in the manager, so i can't set any core affinity. Also, I changed av settings, it did nothing.
Last edited by kRED on 20 Aug 2017, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 20 Aug 2017, 16:54

have you tried downloading the GoG version? If your's is cd version..
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Aug 2017, 17:16

@kRED
Did you tried to create shortcut? What AV/Firewall do you have? Is your program installed within "Program files" or outside? You have no-cd version from CDProjekt in PL? (CZ is not working so with PL it will be the same. Use Equilibris instead.)
"We made it!"

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 20 Aug 2017, 18:57

@Pol

Shortcut was created during installment, it doesn't respond as well. I have free Avast av but i cant find anyting about the game within it, so i just changed my firewall settings. It is installed within "Program Files". I have it in separate 2-CD game box and one of them - presumably the second - was required to play the game.

@Karmakeld

I know about the gog version, but i have a reason not to buy it. First, im pretty sure that cd's are preserved quite fine so it may be a problem with the pc, so i don't want to spend any money on it. Second problem is that gog version doesn't support pl version, which i'd love to stick with.
Last edited by kRED on 20 Aug 2017, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 20 Aug 2017, 19:08

1. Uninstall the game.
2. Reinstall the game in C:\Heroes4\ or similar folder outside 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)' folders.
3. Start the Command Line Prompt as Administrator and run the following command (as Administrator):
sc config secdrv start= demand
(there should be a space ' ' between 'start=' and 'demand')
4. Run the game as Administrator. It should work. Otherwise You have to use GoG release or find No-CD crack for Your particular version

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 20 Aug 2017, 19:24

@Bersaglio

Man, words cannot describe how grateful I am. It did work. Thank you so much, and thank you everyone else for your hard work. I have one final question, do i have to run that command every time, or that one time is enough?

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 20 Aug 2017, 19:35

One time is enough, the value is remembered in the registry. But You should run the game as Administrator every time. Good luck!

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 25 Aug 2017, 05:35

Guys I have one more favor to ask, the game likes to switch between desktop and itself. Maybe it's not something crucial, but it can be annoying. Do you have any idea, how to prevent it?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Aug 2017, 07:37

Maybe some keyobard combo conflict?

See them here.
"We made it!"

kRED
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kRED » 25 Aug 2017, 14:31

Not a chance, im not using keyboard combos during combat.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”