NEW campaigns in HoMM III

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Zamara
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

NEW campaigns in HoMM III

Unread postby Zamara » 01 Aug 2017, 10:35

Hello,
I played Heroes 20 years ago. Now I am teaching my son to play it. It is GREAT! But in the past, there was no Steam, so I do not know where to copy the new campaigns made by users and how to run them. I tried to copy it directly into the map folder, but with no success. Can you help me?

And if you know about a map generator for HD Edition, please, let me know as well. We want to play together against the computer, but there are only a few maps and there is no map generator as it was on CD:-(.

Thanks in advance,
Zamara

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Re: NEW campaigns in HoMM III

Unread postby Bersaglio » 01 Aug 2017, 13:24

1. Stay away from ubisoft and any form of its 'HD Edition'. Ubisoft released a very first edition of HoMM III: RoE from February 1999 (Restoration of Erathia) only without Random Map Generator. You still need HoMM III: Complete (CD Version from 2000/CD version from HoMM Platinum Edition Compilation from 2002/GoG edition as a last resort) with HD Mod.
2. Unless You are using Windows XP on all of Your systems do not try installing the game into 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' folders! Create some folder on drive C: (C:\Heroes3\ for example) and install the game into this folder. Otherwise it will be difficult finding Your saves/other game folders to put custom maps/campaings or You'll have to start the game as administrator every time.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 01 Aug 2017, 17:29

Bersaglio wrote:2. Unless You are using Windows XP on all of Your systems do not try installing the game into 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' folders! Create some folder on drive C: (C:\Heroes3\ for example) and install the game into this folder. Otherwise it will be difficult finding Your saves/other game folders to put custom maps/campaings or You'll have to start the game as administrator every time.
Ah this sounds familiar. I've had similar issues locating save files even from others games, due to new windows setup, don't think this is necessarily related to Steam.
Try looking at this path instead; C\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Virtual Store\Programs(x86)\Heroes3\maps... The path should look something like that - though I might be missing a sub folder or two. You may also need to change your setup to display hidden folders in order to find it.
I've found that my H4 install has a duplicate install folder where my saves etc. are read. Basically it seems like a backup if you have to reboot your windows install.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Aug 2017, 21:43

It's related to Windows. And it apply for all pre-Win8+ programs, place them out of special "Program Files" folder and you will be living happy forever. Reason for that is new windows rights management for programs/special folders.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”