Yet another discussion of the merits of H4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » May 13 2006, 7:53

DaemianLucifer wrote:Ok,bad analogy.But still,you can add those results that are default later.And if not the fans of the series,who are you going to ask then?People that never heard of it?


You know, even if I love the series, I don't believe that everyone that has played it becomes an instant fan ;). And I have no direct need of better figures- all I'm saying that the results of that poll should be taken with large amounts of salt...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 13 2006, 7:57

Gaidal Cain wrote:You know, even if I love the series, I don't believe that everyone that has played it becomes an instant fan ;). And I have no direct need of better figures- all I'm saying that the results of that poll should be taken with large amounts of salt...


If someone played,lets say HII and didnt like it do you think hell buy HIII?Its only the fans that tried at least two sequels that can be asked which one they liked more.

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » May 13 2006, 8:05

DaemianLucifer wrote: If someone played,lets say HII and didnt like it do you think hell buy HIII?Its only the fans that tried at least two sequels that can be asked which one they liked more.


You know, there's a difference between "liking" and "being a fan of". I like the civilization games, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Liking a game doesn't autmatically mean you go to a forum about it to discuss it- something which many fans tends to do.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 13 2006, 8:10

Gaidal Cain wrote:You know, there's a difference between "liking" and "being a fan of". I like the civilization games, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Liking a game doesn't autmatically mean you go to a forum about it to discuss it- something which many fans tends to do.


I was a fan of heroes long before I came to this forum.

And being a fan makes your oppinion not worthy,right?So there isnt a single heroes fan that hates HIV?

User avatar
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4583
Joined: 27 Nov 2005

Postby Ethric » May 13 2006, 9:02

Any poll or survey should be taken with large amounts of NaCl. But it can't be discounted completely as irrelevant either, at least not in this case. It's mereley an indication that there are indeed many that like H4, and for the group participating in this poll they are in majority. If you did a proper survery with 10000 participants you may or may not get a different result. But for now, this is the result we have ;)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » May 13 2006, 10:35

DaemianLucifer wrote:I was a fan of heroes long before I came to this forum.


And? The point I was trying to make was that just because someone likes a series enough to buy several games from it, it doesn't make him a fan. Here's the first sentence of Wikipedia's entrance on fans:
The word fan refers to someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking of a person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend.


And being a fan makes your oppinion not worthy,right?So there isnt a single heroes fan that hates HIV?


Nope, but if you only ask fans about something relating to the object of their liking, you're very likely to get a different result than if you ask both fans and other people with a more tempered interest in the same thing.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » May 18 2006, 6:20

And? The point I was trying to make was that just because someone likes a series enough to buy several games from it, it doesn't make him a fan. Here's the first sentence of Wikipedia's entrance on fans:
The word fan refers to someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking of a person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend.

I don't necessarily agree. The fact that DaemianLucifer feels so strongly about this game and subject that he not only posts but defends his opinion time after time, definitely makes him a fan.

Of course someone who continues to buy the game with every new edition can be considered a fan. What else would you call it? How would you contextually define a fan? I certainly don't have the moolah to buy games just because they're new. There's a driving force there.

Nope, but if you only ask fans about something relating to the object of their liking, you're very likely to get a different result than if you ask both fans and other people with a more tempered interest in the same thing.

Now if I were a game developer, who would I approach if i wanted to make improvements on my product? Someone with a tempered interest?
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » May 18 2006, 8:12

Babri wrote:I don't necessarily agree. The fact that DaemianLucifer feels so strongly about this game and subject that he not only posts but defends his opinion time after time, definitely makes him a fan.

Of course someone who continues to buy the game with every new edition can be considered a fan. What else would you call it? How would you contextually define a fan? I certainly don't have the moolah to buy games just because they're new. There's a driving force there.


I've never doubted whether Daemian is a fan, but what I'm saying that being a follower of a series isn't the same as being a fan. As for a strict definition, that's something that's very tricky, but fans would tend to do more than just play the game - create maps, discuss the games on forums, etc.

Now if I were a game developer, who would I approach if i wanted to make improvements on my product? Someone with a tempered interest?


Yes, because they're probably the majority of your players. You'd want fans as well though, because they often have moreintimate knowledge of how the game works.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » May 18 2006, 9:26

I've never doubted whether Daemian is a fan, but what I'm saying that being a follower of a series isn't the same as being a fan. As for a strict definition, that's something that's very tricky, but fans would tend to do more than just play the game - create maps, discuss the games on forums, etc.

Then I must not be a fan! I am severely disappointed. :drama: I've played all the campaigns twice, I've bought all the expansions (save for the ones sent to me from overseas by friends because I couldn't buy them in my own country and my incessant begging was driving them nuts), I've introduced others to the game because I love it so much, I'm counting the days 'til H5's release (despite all the negative comments I've heard)...YET I've never designed a map and I'm new to this forum. Woe is me. There I was, thinking that the purpose of a game is mainly to be played and enjoyed.

I don't think any one of us is in the position to dictate what a fan is or isn't. If I believe I am a fan, nothing you say can take that away. At the very least, a TRUE fan wouldn't feel the need to discriminate.

Yes, because they're probably the majority of your players. You'd want fans as well though, because they often have moreintimate knowledge of how the game works.

My sense of logic must be severely warped, because only someone who has played the game extensively would be able to give decent feedback regarding improvements and flaws. Someone who only plays occaisionally would probably not even know the difference, especially if they haven't followed the series.

But then, not being a fan and all, how would I know any of these things? You must be right. :devious:

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 18 2006, 9:36

Babri wrote:Then I must not be a fan! I am severely disappointed. :drama: I've played all the campaigns twice, I've bought all the expansions (save for the ones sent to me from overseas by friends because I couldn't buy them in my own country and my incessant begging was driving them nuts), I've introduced others to the game because I love it so much, I'm counting the days 'til H5's release (despite all the negative comments I've heard)...YET I've never designed a map and I'm new to this forum. Woe is me. There I was, thinking that the purpose of a game is mainly to be played and enjoyed.


You missunderstood Gaidal Cain.By his definition you are a fan because you did more then just playing:You brought new players to the series,and you did your best to get your hands on every part of the game.A non fan wouldnt do that.

But his definition makes me look like I wasnt a fan before Ive joined the forumes,since I did miss the heroes chronicles(didnt think its worth the money),and didnt do much save for playing the game.

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » May 18 2006, 9:45

This is the first HOMM forum I have ever joined or participated in. I also have never designed a map.

How long have you been playing HOMM?
The average person thinks he isn’t.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 18 2006, 9:46

Babri wrote:How long have you been playing HOMM?


I have no clue.Something over 10 years for sure.

User avatar
Babri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 May 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Babri » May 18 2006, 9:54

I have no clue.Something over 10 years for sure.


Well, that settles it. You're a fan.
The average person thinks he isn’t.


Return to “Heroes I-IV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests