Looking for testers for Unity campaign

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Looking for testers for Unity campaign

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Oct 2020, 20:37

I might try the easy one at first, then I'll jump for a hard one (if I get to finish the other one, that is :lol:). I am a bit rusty at this game.

OH, it would be useful if you list known issues in this thread somewhere, so we don't report the same things over again. ;)
Last edited by Panda Tar on 15 Oct 2020, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 15 Oct 2020, 21:47

Maybe I should create a thread specifically for that? Can't update the original post here since it was started by Michael, and if I were to edit one of my posts it would be hard to find, haha.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Oct 2020, 22:34

That is an alternative, yes.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Oct 2020, 22:30

Right, I gave my first try just now, in the Novice (HOHO) difficulty. And got killed in a sudden hidden encounter in a black-hole like place. But my hero was already dead from a previous fight. She would die in this one fight probably, though.

The first report is like this:
  • Story is nice and ok.
  • It feels interesting learning spells during exploration.
  • There were many places which seemed rocks could be displaced, so I started to wonder if something went amiss.
  • Battles are rather easy throghout the map.
  • After learning Create Illusion, they get much easier.
  • The central part of the map seem to have access from a bridge on the southeast corner. I didn't explore that way, though. So I am not sure if going there and having access to the central plaza would help me defeat those who killed Genevieve.
Now, for the queer things:
  • I am not sure if Displacement was supposed to be learned when you read a sign saying that you could displace a rock. It was not really clear. But Genevieve did not learn that spell.
  • This message would be triggered in almost all battles. If you clicked positive, it would keep prompting the question in an endless loop. Clicking negative would prompt the battle faster (sometimes only choosing once).
  • This message triggered here and I got closer to a naga blocking a bridge. It is puzzling. It feels like it's a scripting note, so you can remember something later. For me, it makes not much sense.
  • This sign could not be reached. Unless that rock was displaced from there.
  • I died once there, then the second time, only my hero got killed. That battle, a Ogre Magi defending that dwelling, we have 10 golems, 6 ogre magi and something like 6 centaurs defending it. These units are too sturdy for dwarves and halflings alone (they also have fair movement reach), and even by using illusions, they got my hero in the end.
  • Then, the remaining halflings got killed in a battle in this place, just after finding the right path.
  • The second hero would land on the northern part of the map. Ok. There is no way out from there. No passage. I don't know if it was meant for Genevieve to displace a rock and free him from that place. If not, then you get stuck.
  • There is a scripted battle against a naga. But it triggers again if you walk over the same place. When you go the first place, 10 squires and 10 crossbowmen join your hero. The second time, though, it started to add more over that.
  • If Genevieve is killed and the other hero is stuck, you get stuck too. So, I wonder if she is not supposed to get killed and get Game Over.
I'll try again another time, probably in the same difficulty and explore that central place, or see if there's access to it. If not, I'll try some manner to spare as many troops as possible and see if it's possible defeating those enemies who killed her.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 18 Oct 2020, 09:13

I can update the original post with issues, bugs etc. I think we originally had a testers excel document for that, but I can do that. I will eventually join back in on this project, I just dont have much time atm.

It's been quite a while since I last looked at the map, but surely PatFx and Derrick left Scripting notes also for the testers, but it makes sense to NOTE that with clear indication in the text block. Also I do recall the give Dwarf script was a test script PatFx made, like to easier be able to balance battles as you could simply reload and restart a tweak your army, rather than having to fight you way through the entire map after 1 or 2 stacks have been tweaked, but that should also be clarified.

If it makes sense, I guess we add a script to toggle on/off those scripting notes at the start, but they might be somewhat useful for the testers to know why, at for least some of them, they're there.

I take it Derrick will respond to the rest, as he's currently the one "at work" ;)
But thx for testing and repliying
Last edited by Karmakeld on 18 Oct 2020, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Oct 2020, 16:37

My pleasure.

We had some chitchatting in Discord. There's a new version we are keeping updated in another thread, focused on the feedbacks and known issues and testing. I downloaded it and will be checking probably today or tomorrow.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”