Heroes 3 Unit effectiveness by Level comparison

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes 3 Unit effectiveness by Level comparison

Unread postby MeCho » 22 Mar 2016, 16:32

So this is my list of creatures ranking for their level i take into account their growth and gold cost i will try to comment why i think so.Feel free to discuss my list(especially Level 2 because i found them quite similar in strength) or to give yours

Level 1

1.Centaur Captain-Fast and strong well worth the high cost
2.Halberdier -A slower but cheaper version of Centaur Captains they also are immune to jousting
3.Master Gremlin-Ranged thus good for early stages of the game
4.Sprite-Dirt cheap and high growth and very fast flying unit with no enemy retaliation makes it good for guerrilla warfare
5.Gnoll Marauder-Still quite decent Health and damage wise
6.Hobgoblin- At least they are pretty fast
7.Infernal Troglodyte-They are cheaper and their growth is higher then Skeletons Warrior
8.Skeleton Warrior-The bottom line especially because its not wise to upgrade Skeletons to them
9.Familiars-Expensive as hell and weak as shit

Level 2

1.Marktmen-Shoots Twice!-auto win
2.Lizard Warrior-High health for a ranged level 2 unit and impressive maximum damage
3.Wolf Raider-Strikes Twice!
4.Harpy Hag-Flying Guerrilla warfare master
5.Magog-Sometimes the fireball attack is really good however sometimes it forces you to attack something else then you normally would.
6.Obsidian Gargoyle-Fast flying Unliving unit
7.Battle Dwarf- Tanky and impressive magic resistance but slow
8.Zombie-A slower weaker version of Battle Dwarf

Level 3

1. Grand Elves: Shoots twice - auto win
2. Cerberus: Terrifying once blessed
3. Evil Eye: Jack of all trades
4. Dragon Fly: Fast,Flying + Dispel&Weakness - Awesome
5. Royal Griffin: Can be real threat once massed
6. Iron Golem: Too slow yet cost effective Unliving creature
7. Orc Chieftain : You get what you pay for....
8. Storm Elemental: I think that listing them among level 3 creatures for comparing will be more appropriate
9. Ice Elemental: Way too expensive
10. Wraith : Only good in battles of few units mostly skipped completely

Level 4

1. Ogre Magi:Highest health and damage of all lvl 4 creatures can even cast bloodlust trice
2. Vampire Lord:These are absolutely insane if you have enough of them and the opponent isnt using Undead or Unliving majority
3. Crusaders:Strikes twice!
4. Medusa Queen:No melee penalty and Stone Gaze for this cost is amazing lacks shots though
5. Greater Basilisk: Petrifying Attack is really good
6. Silver Pegasi:Dirt cheap fast flying unit with good growth
7. Arch Magi:Im surprised i had to put them so low on the list
8. Horned Demon:Atleast its dirt cheap ill give him that
9. Energy Elemental:Very bad cost to effectivness ratio

Level 5

1. Mighty Gorgon: Good stats +Death stare kills level 7 units kills Azure Dragons kills everything!
2. Thunderbird: Fast Flying good health and has lightning strike
3. Pit Lord: Expensive but raises Deamons
4. Power Lich: Death cloud attack
5. Master Genies: Fast Flying spell caster
6. Minotaur King: High damage
7. Dendroid Soldier: Good heath but incredibly slow
8. Zealot: Very bad health
9. Magma Elemental: Simply terible stats especially damage

Level 6

1. Magic Elemental: Attacks all adjected units without retalation ! not to mention its very cheap and has magic immunity
2. Cyclop: You can buy 2 Cylops for the cost of 1 Dread Knight just dont upgrade them!
3. Dread Knight: Great Health and boy you dont want to take a Death Blow after being aged by a Ghost Dragon
4. Naga Queen:Insane damage and no enemy retalation coupled with high health makes it worth the huge cost
5. Efreet Sultan:Fast Flying with Fire Shield and the Fire immunity enables good use of Armageddon
6. War Unicorn:Not expensive with good stats,blinding attack and magic resistance aura
7. Scorpicore:Flying Fast with Paralyzing attack but low health
8. Champions:This unit is by no means weak - others are simply better or cheaper
9. Wyvern Monarch:Pathetic health for a melee unit

Level 7

1. Phoenix: Its dirt cheap cost and insane growth make it number 1 among Level 7 creatures its also the fastest creature in the game is flying and has Rebirth and Fire Immunity
2. Titan:By far the strongest ranged unit it even has no meele penalty and mind spell immunity
3. Ancient Behemoth:Cheap and can 1v1 against any other level 7 unit
4. Archangel:Great stats and +1 Morale and Resurection but expensive
5. Black Dragon:Spell immunity allows good use of Armageddon
6. Gold Dragon:A weaker version of the Black Dragon
7. Ghost Dragon:Only good if he can Age the strongest stack
8. Arch Devil:Its damage and health is too low and cost is too high
9. Chaos Hydra:Only decent if you can make good use of adjected attack which also has no retalation

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Heroes 3 Unit effectiveness by Level comparison

Unread postby Baronus » 22 Mar 2016, 20:34

Interesting. I found bestseller... ORGINAL HEROES SITE UNIT RATING!
http://web.archive.org/web/200108101704 ... rating.htm
Extremly rare but webarchive saved it!

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 22 Mar 2016, 22:59

Good read

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 Apr 2016, 03:19

MeCho wrote:So this is my list of creatures ranking for their level i take into account their growth and gold cost i will try to comment why i think so.Feel free to discuss my list(especially Level 2 because i found them quite similar in strength) or to give yours
Level 1

1.Centaur Captain-Fast and strong well worth the high cost
2.Halberdier -A slower but cheaper version of Centaur Captains they also are immune to jousting
3.Master Gremlin-Ranged thus good for early stages of the game
4.Sprite-Dirt cheap and high growth and very fast flying unit with no enemy retaliation makes it good for guerrilla warfare
5.Gnoll Marauder-Still quite decent Health and damage wise
6.Hobgoblin- At least they are pretty fast
7.Infernal Troglodyte-They are cheaper and their growth is higher then Skeletons Warrior
8.Skeleton Warrior-The bottom line especially because its not wise to upgrade Skeletons to them
9.Familiars-Expensive as hell and weak as ****
I cannot put Halberdiers above Master Gremlins and Sprites; they belong rather near Gnoll Marauders/Hobgoblins. Both Sprites and Master Gremlins are far better in the early game, where L1 units matter.
Level 2

1.Marksmen-Shoots Twice!-auto win
2.Lizard Warrior-High health for a ranged level 2 unit and impressive maximum damage
3.Wolf Raider-Strikes Twice!
4.Harpy Hag-Flying Guerrilla warfare master
5.Magog-Sometimes the fireball attack is really good however sometimes it forces you to attack something else then you normally would.
6.Obsidian Gargoyle-Fast flying Unliving unit
7.Battle Dwarf- Tanky and impressive magic resistance but slow
8.Zombie-A slower weaker version of Battle Dwarf
I would put Harpy Hags ahead of Wolf Raiders because the Raiders are very flimsy. Hags offer comparable range with greater survivability, and the Wolf Raider's two strikes are often largely diminished by an enemy retaliating after the first one. I would also put the Obsidian Gargoyle and the Battle Dwarf ahead of the Magog, which can often be a disadvantage in battle.

Level 4

1. Ogre Magi:Highest health and damage of all lvl 4 creatures can even cast bloodlust trice
2. Vampire Lord:These are absolutely insane if you have enough of them and the opponent isnt using Undead or Unliving majority
3. Crusaders:Strikes twice!
4. Medusa Queen:No melee penalty and Stone Gaze for this cost is amazing lacks shots though
5. Greater Basilisk: Petrifying Attack is really good
6. Silver Pegasi:Dirt cheap fast flying unit with good growth
7. Arch Magi:Im surprised i had to put them so low on the list
8. Horned Demon:Atleast its dirt cheap ill give him that
9. Energy Elemental:Very bad cost to effectivness ratio
Ogre Magi belong near the Queens. Vampire Lords are top; even without their innate resurrection, they're fast flyers with no retaliation. Silver Pegasi belong below Crusaders; they're enough to grant you initiative and also make opposing spells more expensive. Arch Magi belong above the Basilisks (even though I love Basilisks) for the spell point reduction.
Level 5

1. Mighty Gorgon: Good stats +Death stare kills level 7 units kills Azure Dragons kills everything!
2. Thunderbird: Fast Flying good health and has lightning strike
3. Pit Lord: Expensive but raises Deamons
4. Power Lich: Death cloud attack
5. Master Genies: Fast Flying spell caster
6. Minotaur King: High damage
7. Dendroid Soldier: Good heath but incredibly slow
8. Zealot: Very bad health
9. Magma Elemental: Simply terible stats especially damage
Minotaurs should definitely be higher. I've honestly found them consistently more useful for the Dungeon than Scorpicores. L5s, other than the Gorgon and Elemental, are very, very close together for me, though.
Level 6

1. Magic Elemental: Attacks all adjected units without retalation ! not to mention its very cheap and has magic immunity
2. Cyclop: You can buy 2 Cylops for the cost of 1 Dread Knight just dont upgrade them!
3. Dread Knight: Great Health and boy you dont want to take a Death Blow after being aged by a Ghost Dragon
4. Naga Queen:Insane damage and no enemy retalation coupled with high health makes it worth the huge cost
5. Efreet Sultan:Fast Flying with Fire Shield and the Fire immunity enables good use of Armageddon
6. War Unicorn:Not expensive with good stats,blinding attack and magic resistance aura
7. Scorpicore:Flying Fast with Paralyzing attack but low health
8. Champions:This unit is by no means weak - others are simply better or cheaper
9. Wyvern Monarch:Pathetic health for a melee unit
Scorpicores are dead last. The big advantage of Wyverns is that you can have them on day two, though they still come behind most other L6s. Cyclopes need to be moved down simply because their dwelling is so ridiculously expensive (20 Crystal? Really?), probably below Champions.
Level 7

1. Phoenix: Its dirt cheap cost and insane growth make it number 1 among Level 7 creatures its also the fastest creature in the game is flying and has Rebirth and Fire Immunity
2. Titan:By far the strongest ranged unit it even has no meele penalty and mind spell immunity
9. Chaos Hydra:Only decent if you can make good use of adjected attack which also has no retalation
Chaos Hydra is an oddball in the group because it's not meant to be matched against other L7s (that's the job of Might Gorgons). I'm not even sure it can be put on the list because its job is so different -- it's supposed to engage two or three stacks from L4-L6.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 24 May 2016, 11:37

Thx for your opinion most importantly a opinion backed up by arguments

Jaspergentry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jaspergentry » 01 Jun 2016, 16:51

Ghost Dragons are absolute garbage for melee units, a total waste of money. IF it was placed on a 1v1 with any level 7 troop it would lose. the Arch Devils however are very accesible on the battlefield and thus are very useful, i use them as a tank troop, i feel they are most effective in numbers. I think that the Chaos Hydra shouldn't belong there, as i use it as a backup when i attract the enemy with my tanky troops and then send in the Hydra to attack multiple enemy troops at a time. I would place the Ghost Dragon at no. 9 and bump everything up one.

Cheers...
Na, That's not me...

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 27 Jun 2016, 18:28

Getting hit by Dread Knight Death Blow after being aged by Ghost Dragon is no joke

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 27 Jun 2016, 21:09

Jaspergentry wrote: the Arch Devils however are very accesible on the battlefield and thus are very useful, ...
Agree, vs AI (particularly those epic singleplayer maps with multiple huge battles) or "environment" in multiplayer, archdevils are probably the best lvl 7 units. Archangels and titans compete, but the usefullness of all others is situational. The speed and no retal makes archdevils perfect for hit and run on battlefield. For greater effect can be combined with many spells (mass slow, force field or even frenzy). Live and dead dragons are more brute power, but in my opinion, in long run take more casualties and allow less diverse and effective synergies with spells.

drewbinsky
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby drewbinsky » 20 May 2023, 09:39

Baronus wrote: 22 Mar 2016, 20:34 Interesting. I found bestseller... ORGINAL HEROES SITE UNIT RATING!
http://web.archive.org/web/200108101704 ... rating.htm ovo game
Extremly rare but webarchive saved it!
In Heroes 3, each faction has a unique variety of units with potential for varying strengths and weaknesses.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”