HoMM3:AB won't run

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Psicofreak667
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM3:AB won't run

Unread postby Psicofreak667 » 28 Feb 2016, 07:19

Hi all. After a catastrophic computer failure I had to reinstall my Heroes games, and when I try to play Armageddon's Blade it won't start. If I try to run the .exe file, my mouse cursor flickers with an hourglass for maybe 3-4 seconds the first time I try, and then nothing. No error message, but the game never starts. And if I try a second time, the mouse cursor flickers with an hourglass for about half a second but the game still won't start. The map and campaign editor work fine, and I can play the original Heroes 3 with the Armageddon's Blade CD. The CD has _lots_ of superficial scratches, but no deep ones.

I'm wondering if maybe anyone knows a trick for getting the game to work? I've tried starting the game from the desktop icon, directly from the .exe on the CD, and from the CD startup menu, and got the same result.

I'm running Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

Psicofreak667
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: HoMM3:AB won't run

Unread postby Psicofreak667 » 28 Feb 2016, 07:24

You know what, forget the previous post - I just installed the patches for H3 and H3:AB, and have a different problem.

Now, I can get them both to start - but they say I have insufficient disc space and then kick me back to the desktop. I've actually got I think 1 TB of disc space, which is so much that the games don't recognize it as a real amount and treat it as if it were zero.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 28 Feb 2016, 11:21

See in web how to play old games on modern systems. I think is system problem.

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 28 Feb 2016, 12:16

Try adding some dummy files (about 100-200Mb, sometimes more is needed) to the partition when the game was installed. The problem should go away.

P.S. If You really have 1Tb or more of free space then You should (ideally) decrease free space to 999.9Gb. :)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”