Planning the new 'Unity campaign' for H4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Would you play it, if the Unity campaign for re-created for H4?

Absolutely, H4 is where it belongs
85%
Maybe, but I do support the idea
15%
Not likely
No votes
I've just played it in H7 and see no need for a H4 version
No votes

Total votes: 13

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: The new 'Unity campaign' for H4

Unread postby Karmakeld » 03 Apr 2016, 11:03

We've barely just started ;) Btw. Kalah posted the announcement on the front page. But I would like to encourage all non-English community members to share the announcement on non-English forums and fan sites. I did send the announcement to some sites, but for a lot of them I couldn't find contact info, so any help spreading the word on other forums etc. would be appreciated :)
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 03 Apr 2016, 11:13

Taro the two map sizes were our initial suggested size. I should have underlined all sizes noted in the original scrip, but feel free to pick the size you feel is required to fit in all objectives. I will send out more info's this evening, but I'm gonna spend most of the day in the garden, so you gotta have patience from my side :)

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 03 Apr 2016, 11:42

All right, I sent you an e-mail with my mini map conception. What do you say?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Planning the new 'Unity campaign' for H4

Unread postby Karmakeld » 04 Apr 2016, 11:46

I've set up a discussion about the campaign title, as I wish to seperate our version from the H7 one here:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 50#p363450

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 04 Apr 2016, 14:14

We should build next addon to Heroes IV with Unity and Dogowle campaigns.
Name of this addon must be like in orginal.
Gatehering Storm.
Winds o war.
Aprroachig Hurricane?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 04 Apr 2016, 17:50

Baronus/iLiVeInAboX05, Is it realistic that to do that? Add our own campaign to the game, something like this??Image
If you believe it is, I indeed think we should come up with a combined campaign name.
Someone on HC asked if we had plans to also do the other campaign, and if there's support to do it/community interest, I think it would make sense to make such a combined campaign name. Sadly I must admit that Marzhin did come up with a good name in 'The Lost Tales..' but I get the wind/air theme. Seems like we should continue that :)
Baronus, I also want to ask you if you think it is indeed possible to add a new video? I read about replacing music, and that in that case it seems it's has to be precise lenght/size to work. I would very much like to take this idea further, if you believe it is indeed possible/realistic to do :)
If we do continue this idea, I think we should do still pics, like they did in the WoW intro as well as in H7. That way it seems like a more doable taks, rather than CG. Also adding a voice over, shouldn't be a problem.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 04 Apr 2016, 18:05

When I first tried looking into modding here, that was one of the things I wanted to do ;)

It's entirely dependent on how the game itself is coded. If it's coded to read in a list of titles and then populate the "New Game" menu, then it's possible. We'll need to figure out how the linking between actions (button clicks) and selecting the campaign is done. There are probably a lot of places we would need to update (likely in the .h4r file where the campaigns themselves are kept), such as the list of titles for the "New Games" tab, the following window that would show the campaign pictures for selection, and then adding the campaigns themselves to the .h4r files after the other campaigns (or wherever they should go).

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 05 Apr 2016, 05:49

Its very hard.
If not we can:
Using Tutorial.
Using HIVcamp.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 05 Apr 2016, 09:35

If that's the case, I would vote to scrap the Tutorial, and not the standard campaigns.

I got some questions in relation to this.
I assume at least some of you are ready to also work on the other campaign, Every Dog Has It's Day, once it gets released, as we're talking about making an expansion for those two campaigns :)

- Now I feel a new main menu, should include some reference to both campaigns, as seen in TGS and WoW. (Perhaps easiest to do, in split screen?)
Question, is if we should wait planning the main menu screen, till we know more about the story of the other campaign?

- The same goes for a possible new intro video. But as these are two seperate campaigns, with no link between eachother, unlike TGS and WoW, we could make it 2 videos in 1. If we can't find a way to insert it into the game itself, we can always add it to the download file, or upload it.

- In relation to the above, would it make more sense to wait to release the Unity campaign, till we have both and can release them as a combined expansion? I'm not really in favour of this, but I guess we could solve some of the above issues, by planning our way out of it, e.g. if we go for a split main menu, we could leave the Every Dog.. part, black with 'to be released' text or something like that. It would perhaps require a bit of extra work, as the menu would have to be added twice.

About the Expansion name, as mentioned above it might be hard to come up with a 'combined' name for the two campaigns, as they are not linked, but I'm sure we can come up with a a good text to include the expansion name in relation to the campaigns (and curse Marzhin for comming up with The Lost Tales of Axeoth ;))
Other 'Storm/Winds' related words, we could play with could be:
- Twister
- Air
- Sky
- Weather

What about Hurricane of Secrets? Or (the) Releaving ??? relating to these campaigns having been a 'secret' for so many years or that fact that they have been revealed to the puclic? Like '...discover these tales/stories 'Revealed by the Hurricane'..
I think this could actually link 'the Storm', 'the Winds', 'the Hurricane' AND both of the new campaigns :)

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 05 Apr 2016, 10:36

Names in HIV style titles:
Hurricane of...
fight
struggle
Hurricanes of Battles
====
... of Hurricane
core
harbingers
signs
Heart of Hurricane
===
... Hurricane(s)
coming
aproaching
arrivaling
rising
swelling
spreading

The Rising Hurricane.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 05 Apr 2016, 13:11

guys I personally think some of this sounds a bit overboard, talking about doing all new cinematic intros and main menus and stormy expansion names and all that, don't know if that's necessary or in the spirit of the campaigns,

the two campaigns were intended to exist alongside the original 6 from Heroes 4, if it is even possible to edit the hard code I would literally modify the original campaign screen and insert the new two ones, as if to pretend they were always there,

remember it's ultimately restoring missing content not making a whole new expansion pack content IMO lol

or alternatively just throw them in a folder in maps directory, not as elegant but it is the most natural solution lol

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 05 Apr 2016, 13:35

There is no problem. We dont need losing time to discuss simply question. Extracting campaigns using Mh96 there a seconds. We can do it and give all who want. Not elegant version. No name, no graphic, no sounds. Only maps you can play in map folder. But personally I want elegant version. With menu, screens, soundtrack. Movie maybe. The best is new addon. It is beauty game, and it is OUR WORK! That is not missing content, but NON EXISTING! We must do it. Only textes are Terry Ray work. Text is artistic creation. Maps are game creation. So new addon is true description of this situation. Thanks for text:-) We remember it :-)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 05 Apr 2016, 14:33

Erwinner wrote:the two campaigns were intended to exist alongside the original 6 from Heroes 4, if it is even possible to edit the hard code I would literally modify the original campaign screen and insert the new two ones, as if to pretend they were always there
That is actually a really good idea. As I stated (possibly in this thread), it just depends on how the game is coded. If it takes a list of the pictures / campaign files and adds them to the display, then it would work nicely once we find all the points that needed an entry.

If not, then it would take some serious work to do any of this stuff.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 05 Apr 2016, 19:51

Erwinner, thank you for the feedback. I think we could use some community feedback on this subject :) I'll admit I'm ready to aim for the sky being our limit, but one thing is the team (members) visions another thing is of course what the community expects to see :)

Edit: I just copied the last three posts to this tread: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 20#p363520 to follow up on GreatEmeralds post.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”