Heroes I-IV Poll

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

Whats your heroes?

Poll ended at Jan 28 2009, 14:26

Heroes I
2
3%
Heroes II
17
21%
Heroes III
19
24%
Heroes IV
21
26%
Heroes IV
21
26%
 
Total votes: 80

User avatar
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4583
Joined: 27 Nov 2005

Postby Ethric » May 25 2006, 16:46

Antosius wrote:But i just created acc here to say that heroes 4 were a total crap... Maybe most of the ppl checking these forums started playing heroes only few years ago or smth like that...


And that would be the reason someone like H4, that we are "newbies"? ;|

Antosius wrote: i dont know, but heroes 4 were worst because of... mixed factions


Mixed as opposed to...? Being different than in H2?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » May 25 2006, 17:27

Ethric wrote:And that would be the reason someone like H4, that we are "newbies"? ;|


No, we're just not True Fans. Or was that Real Fans? :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1128
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Odense, Denmark

Postby Paulus1 » May 25 2006, 18:11

Ethric wrote:And that would be the reason someone like H4, that we are "newbies"? ;|


That you haven't witnessed the glory of "old times" and just doesn't know any better :devious:

I guess his ideal development of heroes would have been eight expansion packs for Heroes II? ;|

User avatar
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6274
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Location: Where Luna is: in the jacket

Postby Milla aka. the Slayer » May 25 2006, 19:16

H4! The best ever :devil:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

User avatar
Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1128
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Odense, Denmark

Postby Paulus1 » May 25 2006, 19:23

Have you tried Heroes 2 or 3??

Admitted, I'm mostly playing Heroes IV these days (trying to win all campaigns on impossible), but I used to prefer Heroes 3.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 25 2006, 19:30

Indeed,you should try HII and HIII.Even though there are some things in those I find outdated and I dont like,those are still legends among the games.

Antosius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 May 2006

Postby Antosius » May 26 2006, 7:45

Ethric wrote:
Antosius wrote:But i just created acc here to say that heroes 4 were a total crap... Maybe most of the ppl checking these forums started playing heroes only few years ago or smth like that...


And that would be the reason someone like H4, that we are "newbies"? ;|

Antosius wrote: i dont know, but heroes 4 were worst because of... mixed factions


Mixed as opposed to...? Being different than in H2?


All i wanted to say was that heroes 4 were unbalanced - there were to many new features and thats what made it "not true heroes". The game has allready found his place and style, if they wanted to make something totaly new then they should create a new game and call it different... There are not many turn based strategy games out there but heroes 4 for me looked like trying to clone them all - the technology tree was stolen from Disciples, the battle system looked like from some other game ( i cant remember the name of it now, smth like "warlords"~ i think) and so on... And the things like when you kill lets say for example 100 peasants in one hit with your 1k peasants and they still retaliate made the game and all tactics in it terrible...
Ah and by the way , letting hero to fight in combat was also stolen from Disciples. (But the different is that in disciples your hero is usefull there.)

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » May 26 2006, 8:06

Antosius wrote: (But the different is that in disciples your hero is usefull there.)


:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

You haven't played much H4, have you? Damn killing machines the heroes were.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1128
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Odense, Denmark

Postby Paulus1 » May 26 2006, 8:18

ThunderTitan wrote:
Antosius wrote: (But the different is that in disciples your hero is usefull there.)


:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

You haven't played much H4, have you? Damn killing machines the heroes were.


:up: I second that.

Its a pain in the ass to keep low level heroes alive, but after smth like lvl 10, they don't really need an army, because they are so friggin strong.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 26 2006, 13:10

Antosius wrote:All i wanted to say was that heroes 4 were unbalanced - there were to many new features and thats what made it "not true heroes".


HII was unbalanced,yet it was "a true heroes" game.What exactly defines a true heroes game?It had the most important thing a heroes game needs:Heroes you could level up,interesting and unique factions and creatures,very nice skills you could level up,nice artifacts.Only the gameplay differed.So you didnt like it.Fine,but that doesnt mean the game was bad,just that it didnt appeal to you.

Antosius wrote: The game has allready found his place and style, if they wanted to make something totaly new then they should create a new game and call it different... There are not many turn based strategy games out there but heroes 4 for me looked like trying to clone them all


O please!It was one of the most innovative game I played!Unlike HV,that ripped off everything from HIII(well,not everything,since they failed to implement some of the more useful things).

Antosius wrote: - the technology tree was stolen from Disciples, the battle system looked like from some other game ( i cant remember the name of it now, smth like "warlords"~ i think) and so on...


So what?If you think of anything "new" these days,it will always be simmilar to something that already existed.There is no true innovation.Besides,implementing good things from other games isnt always a bad thing.

Antosius wrote:And the things like when you kill lets say for example 100 peasants in one hit with your 1k peasants and they still retaliate made the game and all tactics in it terrible...


Oh really?It is much more logical and tactical to slaughter a huge army with no losses at all?Sim retal is one of the most tactical things HIV implemented.

Antosius wrote:Ah and by the way , letting hero to fight in combat was also stolen from Disciples. (But the different is that in disciples your hero is usefull there.)


Next time play a game for more then 10 minutes before you bash it.

User avatar
Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 219
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Black Ghost » May 26 2006, 13:25

voted h2

h4 is second but contained too much bugs done to too rush 3DO release.
Thanks Eq. Mod many were delated

All in all h4 has huge potential but my sentiment to h2 is bigger. ;)

User avatar
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4583
Joined: 27 Nov 2005

Postby Ethric » May 26 2006, 14:15

What's this reference to a "technology tree" in H4 by the way? Can't say I've ever seen one, at least not in the sense I understand the term technology tree in a gamereference.

The skillsystem? Which isn't a tree, more like 9 small shrubberies, if you want to be botanical about it.
Who the hell locks these things?

- Duke

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » May 26 2006, 14:21

Ethric wrote:What's this reference to a "technology tree" in H4 by the way? Can't say I've ever seen one, at least not in the sense I understand the term technology tree in a gamereference.

The skillsystem? Which isn't a tree, more like 9 small shrubberies, if you want to be botanical about it.


I think he refered to the building choices in a city.It seems like Antosius is the fan of upgrade them all.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » May 26 2006, 16:16

Finaly decided to vote HII. Best looking creatures ever. It all went downhill from there.

Oh, and I hate upgrades. The only purpose they serve is to waste money for the extra building. Of course HIV's building choice was annoying when you took over another town and it had a different building.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
klaymen
Hunter
Hunter
Posts: 527
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Piestany (Slovakia)

Postby klaymen » May 26 2006, 16:27

DaemianLucifer: you know, Antosius thinks that in fight for life the enemies are so...gallant that they stand still, wait until you finish your attack and after it they retaliate....
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

User avatar
Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 386
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Faroe Islands
Contact:

Postby Justice » May 26 2006, 19:27

H II is the best... I must admit I laughed when someone here said that HIV was the best one :devil:

User avatar
Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1128
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Odense, Denmark

Postby Paulus1 » May 26 2006, 19:31

Justice wrote:H II is the best... I must admit I laughed when someone here said that HIV was the best one :devil:


Well, so far its 11 out of 30 who favors Heroes IV. It seems that it's almost equally distributed between II, III and IV.

I think III and IV are way better than II judged from what I want to play today, but that doesn't mean that I laugh about your opinion.

User avatar
DungeonMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 May 2006

Postby DungeonMaster » May 27 2006, 4:46

heroes III only cause its the only one i got

User avatar
Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 386
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Faroe Islands
Contact:

Postby Justice » May 27 2006, 11:58

Paulus1 wrote:
Justice wrote:H II is the best... I must admit I laughed when someone here said that HIV was the best one :devil:


Well, so far its 11 out of 30 who favors Heroes IV. It seems that it's almost equally distributed between II, III and IV.

I think III and IV are way better than II judged from what I want to play today, but that doesn't mean that I laugh about your opinion.


I didn't laugh at H IV, I laughe at someone who said HIV (letters rather than numbers) :D

Antosius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 May 2006

Postby Antosius » May 29 2006, 14:29

@DaemianLucifer

If you think a bit , that "retaliation thing" which was changed in HIV actually destroyed many good tactics which ones you were able to use in H2 and 3.
And about that balancing, HIV was really unballanced or ballanced to much (actually dont know which one is right), but it was to much of it ;)

And maybe you were right about saying that i didnt playd it enought , but i couldnt take it , the graphics made me almost puke...


Return to “Heroes I-IV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests