Heroes IV won't start

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes IV won't start

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 12 Nov 2015, 18:33

I just reinstalled Heroes IV. I have had it on this machine before and it ran fine. When I try to open it now I get a dialog box asking permission for the program to make changes to the hard drive, I click OK then nothing...

I have tried different compatibility settings and running as Administrator to no avail. I then deleted the folder and copied the folder from my remote hard drive which had worked in the past, no luck.

I then went to User Accounts and set the slider to the lowest setting, still nothing. I changed the security for the parent folder to allow full access.

I am running Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 bit. I have run this before as well as Heroes 3 and 5 also M&M 6-8, I have not had this problem. Not sure if Microsoft fixed another security threat and I got caught unaware.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Heroes IV won't start

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Nov 2015, 18:57

Any antivirus program conflicts?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 12 Nov 2015, 23:12

I have Norton 360 which was installed when I ran this last time. Norton gave an OK for each of the patches as well.

Ed

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Nov 2015, 20:47

You may need to run it as an administrator; also check the compatibility settings as they may not be the ones you used before.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

cmrenberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cmrenberg » 20 Jan 2016, 03:12

I am having the same problem with Win10. I upgraded from win7 and now HOMM4 with the 2 expansions will not start. Any Help!!

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 20 Jan 2016, 09:48

@Cmrenberg

Have a look at this post, it might help you
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/14/15232
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 20 Jan 2016, 09:50

Some HoMM IV releases (GE,UK for example) utilize Safedisc v2 copy protection. Windows 10 can have problem with old copy ptotection (like Safedisc/Securom). Only US release of HoMM IV: Winds of War does not have any copy protection and therefore can work on Windows 10 without problems.
In any way a fresh reinstall of the game is recommended. You should install main HoMM IV (US/UK) game first, HoMM IV: GS in the middle (optional) and finally HoMM IV: WoW US release. Also
1. Do not install the game into 'Program Files' folder. Use C:\HEROES4\ or something like that.
2. If the game won't start, try setting 'Windows 98' compatibility mode for game executable.
3. Try disabling antivirus program because it is known to interfere with the game.
4. You should run the game as administrator (at least first time) otherwise the game couldn't create the necessary registry entries.

cmrenberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cmrenberg » 20 Jan 2016, 19:31

I did as you suggested. After installing the game in C:\heroes\ I started as administrator and the game started OK. I installed the 1st expansion disk = The Gathering Storm" - and tried to start it as administrator but to no avail. I tried all the compatibility option again to no avail. Windows 10 does not like this game. Any other hints!!

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 20 Jan 2016, 19:57

So - The original HoMM IV is working on your system?? It is REALLY STRANGE because any edition of HoMM IV (and GS too, by the way) utilizes Safedisc v2 copy protection. The HoMM IV with GS expansion does not work, and it's expected. :yes: Then try installing second expansion pack (HoMM IV: WoW). If the game (HoMM IV + GS + WoW) would not work thereafter then try replacing game executable with the one from prerequisite of Equilibris mod, here, heroes4_sfx.exe. But do not forget to unpack self-extracting archive first!
Hope this helps. :)

cmrenberg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cmrenberg » 20 Jan 2016, 21:20

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Downloading the heroes4_sfx.exe and running homm4 from there worked perfectly. I installed HOMM6 and hated it. I played some HOMM5 and enjoyed it but HOMM3 with WOG and now ERA2 has been my favorite. I have tried to play all the maps I could find - some are excellent especially those by Valery. But I decided I wanted to get back to Homm4 and try some of the newer maps made after I left playing it. But Win10 became a problem. But with Bersaglio's suggestion it is again playable. Thanks again

Return to “Heroes I-IV”