Just moving on... to H4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Just moving on... to H4

Unread postby tylertoo » 01 May 2006, 15:55

I played the heck out of H3, but never tried H4 because of mixed reviews and too many other games that had my interest.

Just arrived though, courtesy gogamer, is H4 (standard) for about $10 including shipping. Yes, I know H5 is weeks away, but my machine is anything but cutting edge.

So hello! This looks like an amazing forum, and I look forward to sampling the articles and user-made H4 maps that so many have contributed.

Just so I'm clear -- I have to run 4 patches to get up to v3.0?? I take it there's no v1.0 direct to v3? :(

Onward to install :-D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 01 May 2006, 16:03

Hi, and welcome.

A word of advice: If you find the changes made in Heroes IV to be somewhat confusing, don't be disillusioned at once. H4 is an acquired taste, and a great one at that!

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 01 May 2006, 16:16

did you get the complete version? if so i highly recommend you try the equilibris mod it's not like most mods that adds fun but unbalacing features, it actually adds a lot of useful features as well as making it more balanced :D
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tylertoo » 01 May 2006, 17:14

BenchBreaker wrote:did you get the complete version?
No, this seems to be just the standard game, CD only, published by Ubi. I guess if I get hooked on H4 I'll splurge on Complete version later.

This make methink of another question -- does this (H4 standard, published by Ubi, jewel case, 2 discs) have Starforce 8| :( ??

It does have warning "This game contains technology to prevent copying..." in yellow on the case.

Sheesh, this never occurred to me. I won't install it if does, $10 wasted.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 17:23

You dont need one. Just download equilibris. It gives you everything youd get from expansions, and more.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 01 May 2006, 17:25

DaemianLucifer wrote:You dont need one.Just download equilibris.It gives you everything youd get from expansions,and more.
does that always work? i didn't try it cos i had all the expansions

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 17:30

BenchBreaker wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:You dont need one.Just download equilibris.It gives you everything youd get from expansions,and more.
does that always work? i didn't try it cos i had all the expansions
People say it does. I dont know, because I have the expansions as well. But really, the additions those two brought are very small, so why not? You just wont have the campaigns and the maps that are on the cds.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 01 May 2006, 17:33

if it works than it's definatly better than getting the complete version, the expansions are one of the main reason why some ppl hate h4 so much.. and i dont blames them, there weren't enough new things in both of them to grant a single expansion.

tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tylertoo » 01 May 2006, 17:38

BenchBreaker wrote:if it works than it's definatly better than getting the complete version,
I will try equilibris and see if this includes expansion units and changes, and will let you know. What's a quick way to check?

Is there an answer to my question added to the end of my previous posst above -- does this have Starforce? (sorry if that topic if verboten here, if so I'll delete it).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 17:44

No it doesnt. And dont worry, we all hate SF here :devil:

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 01 May 2006, 17:44

if you see any of these creatures in the game/editor then you know you've got the expansons:

mega dragon, frenzied gnasher, catapult, evil sorceress, dark champion, goblin knight, gargantuan.

Heroes IV
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes IV » 01 May 2006, 17:51

if you see any of these creatures in the game/editor then you know you've got the expansons:

mega dragon, frenzied gnasher, catapult, evil sorceress, dark champion, goblin knight, gargantuan.
You right but if you have: "winds of war", and you have 2 new 'Palettes'. :) in editor.

tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tylertoo » 01 May 2006, 18:13

DaemianLucifer wrote:No it doesnt.And dont worry,we all hate SF here :devil:
Thanks Lucifer for clarifying that. Can I assume the copy protection on Ubi-published H4 is non-destructive?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 18:22

I never had a problem with it.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 01 May 2006, 23:51

The copy protection is probably just, like, secure CD to make it slightly more difficult to burn the CD.

And welcome to the game! Fire away with any questions. Personally, I'd recommend playing the base game before you try Equilibris, especially as many of the good fan-made maps aren't properly balanced for Equilbris. The same might be true of the original campaigns.

Check the "picks" link in my sig if you want to try out some good custom maps :).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 May 2006, 01:02

In Reply To The New Guy:

Hiya and welcome to the forums. If you have any questions whatsoever don't hesitate to ask - we are most eager to assist anybody who has trouble or general questions. Speaking of which, many an answer can probably be found in the FAQs we made for the games. I recommend having a look there.

FAQ for Heroes II-IV
FAQ for Heroes V
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tylertoo » 02 May 2006, 03:08

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Yea, I've read the FAQs and I'm still stumped trying to patch the darn thing. Keep getting error messages. I've checked the registry and its language is US and version is 2.2. The registry has it under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/program files/ubisoft entertainment/heroes of might and magic iv/

I've tried all these patches: US Standard 1.0 to 1.3, US Standard 2.2 to 3.0 and Ubisoft patch 1.0 to 1.2. None work. Message is the same each time:

Missing or invalid Registry/INI entry

Ideas, anyone? I have read the info on the patch page. I guess I should uninstall/reinstall, not sure if that will help. I have no cracks and no downloaded maps.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 May 2006, 03:24

Try the equilibris.It contains the patches in itself,I think.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 02 May 2006, 03:45

Don't try equilibris until your base game is working stably, I think. Is it possible that the game is already patched? Do you have the expansions? The easiest way to check is to load the game up and see if you can play TGS or WoW expansion campaigns.

Also, did you try the UK Patches? I know you've got US version, but I've heard that this works sometimes.

tylertoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tylertoo » 02 May 2006, 14:28

I found the answer on the Ubisoft support page for H4:
If you have the most recent release of Heroes of Might & Magic IV (Jewel case) with the Ubisoft logo, then you have the most recent version and do not need to download any of the patches EXCEPT for the Heroes of Might & Magic IV Spell Book Fix.
So apparently, after I fix the spell book, I'm good to go. Thanks folks :D for the help.

I shudda looked at Ubi's page first, would have saved me some time. Maybe this should be added to the FAQ?

Psychobabble, thanks for your best maps list -- I never get into campaigns in most games, including H3, and tend to prefer the amazing creativity found in user-made maps.

So do you think they'll ever do another version of Heroes? Like with 3-D graphics? ;) ;) Har har only kidding.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”