Dragon's Fate Thread (Ver 1.5 at CH)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jeff

Dragon's Fate Thread (Ver 1.5 at CH)

Unread postby jeff » 01 May 2006, 11:47

CH has posted what I hope is the last update before the archive file, version 1.5. I have spent almost 12 hours testing all endings with this version and all endings run properly.

Version 1.5: A couple of people have had a problem with the mountains clearing in map 7 - I have rescripted the event in a manner that should fix whatever is causing the problem. Other changes are: if purple (ally) in map 2 should get the Soul Stealer Sword, a script has been added that will allow the player to complete the map anyway. The boat near the quest hut in map 4 is no longer the only source of a ship. Map 7 if the High Commander captures a red city, as long as no hero is present it no longer results in a loss condition.

The versions 1.3 b or 1.3c that you may have do play to conclusion but there is a strange combat that occurs under certain conditions, and some text is omitted. These files where rapid patches that were intended to allow people to continue and complete the campaign while I tested version 1.4.

Version 1.4 corrects all of the problems found in both 1.3b and 1.3c. No strange combats or omitted text, these have all been fixed. So if you have started map 8 the version you have will work, but the storyline will be improved by the text issues that are corrected. No changes were made in any map except to map 8, so there is no need to stop or replay any of those maps just load v 1.4 before starting map 8.

CH has been great with their support to me and their rapid posting of all of these changes, :applause: but if you are in a hurry you can PM or email me with your email address and the version will be sent. :lol:

11:42 PM EST May 13
I have just finished eight hours of testing all of the various endings and subpaths in version 1.4. :tired: All endings are now playing correctly with no 'strange sequences'. This test was done using preset variables, I will test these changes in the morning under campaign conditions (start the map over) before submitting it to CH. As I have said previously versions 1.3b and 1.3c will play to conclusion but some text may be missing (you may not even notice that) and the 'strange sequence is present in both of those versions. Version 1.3c fixes some text errors found in 1.3b. Version 1.4 fixes more text errors and eliminates the 'strange sequence." The ending that 75+% of you will chose plays perfectly in all three versions.

11:00 AM EST
Angelspit has loaded version 1.3c, and it is available now at CH. If you have version 1.3b, rest assured both version are playable to the conclusion (I have done it, with most of the possible endings). The difference is one of the many possible ending plays in a manner that appears funny, but it does play and it does go to the end of the campaign just fine after than 'funny sequence', 1.3c hopefully will fix. I am continuing the test to make sure the other endings work as well, and I do not expect any problems as Neska variables are not a factor in those.

May 12
Version 1.3b (version number seen in map 6) has not been sent to Celestial Heavens, everyone should upgrade to that version before map 6. If you have completed map 6, then press on. Those who have emailed me previously should have received it this evening. If not email or PM me and I'll get it to you. I have played that version through the start-up of map 8. Map 8 started correctly, the carryover variables were all correctly set and all carryover artifacts were present. For the last three months I have replayed map 8 several times and it has always performed as expected. Therefore I am confident everyone should be able to play the campaign. Again my apologies to everyone for the initial problems, all were caused by improvements suggested by my dedicated playtester, but were obviously not sufficently retested. All fault lies with me and I hope in future they will make themselves available when I need them. :S But it does point out I should have had the release version playtested by a third party before wide release. I will do that for all future releases. :yes:

My email is jeffreygriffith@adelphia.net

First be sure you have the latest version 1.2a
you will start with the flaming sword, master logbook and the emerald bow, which allows you to bypass many important storyline quests. Please give them to a creature and do not use them with Talon or his army until you actually find them. Version 1.3 will be released Friday in time for the weekend DO NOT start map 4 without this version and 1.3 should allow you to finish the campaign uninterrupted. I am taking my time one this one to be sure it fixes any remaining issues with any of the scripts. If you are that far along already PM me with your email and I will send you a prerelease copy. 8|

This thread is to give help or answer questions to help you along. Everyone is welcome to jump in with answers so the player will not have to wait for me or one of my map testers.

Grey Wolf asked " I'm almost done with map #2. I have the flaming sword but can't access the tunnel in the north guarded by the ice deamons. Is this another bug or (more likely) amI missing something?"

Grey Wolf you need to go to East Gorge and then it will start the exploration of Talon's past before the ice will melt, it sounds like you have not been to East Gorge. To get into East Gorge you need to visit the Quest Gate in the Southwest first. Also do not be in too big of a hurry, though not needed to melt the ice you must finish the emerald bow quest to complete the map.

To all please wait for version 1.2a, I sent it to Celestial Heavens yesterday it fixes the map 2 problem and a potential in map 4. Map 3 is ok (I replayed myself last night). I have a possible work around for those who just wish to continue that should work. The encounter script that needs to run is scripted on Neska’s army, so after she flags red, do not let her join Talon’s army and do not give her any troops. If she has any let her keep them, ensuring the encounter script stays with her. Now take Neska run around map and encounter an AI hero that should trigger the script as I did not put any conditionals on it. Purple Heroes may work but any enemy hero should work. Yes it would normally go into combat, but the victory script is part of the encounter. I thought of this on the way to work and will test it tonight, but it should work. Sorry for the inconvenience but it will save you replaying map 2 and all variables will be correctly set. If someone tries it let me no if it works, and again map 3 is ok. Repeating the steps have Neska turn Red and do not add or take any troops or heroes from her army, take Neska to an AI hero for the encounter script to run.
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Jul 2006, 14:00, edited 18 times in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 May 2006, 17:49

YnHockey asked "I can't get past the 2nd map - can't seem to get the shield from Neska (does she have it?). Maybe I did something wrong. Please help."

I am assuming you have completed the flaming sword and managed to get to Neska. The text there tells you you need both the flaming sword and the emerald bow to get through to her. There is a quest hut which will give you the emerald bow.

Heroes IV
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Heroes IV » 01 May 2006, 17:53

Do not double post. else if you must do. :|

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 01 May 2006, 18:49

I have already acquired those artifacts and Neska herself, but she doesn't seem to have the shield. She only has an elf armour and a bow. Did I do something wrong?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 May 2006, 20:15

Ynhockey wrote:I have already acquired those artifacts and Neska herself, but she doesn't seem to have the shield. She only has an elf armour and a bow. Did I do something wrong?
I have run some tests at it appears she is triggering red too soon and the encounter script is not running therefore the game cannot end. I strongly recommend you not replay it use the cheat nwcvalhalla. The shield is not a factor until map 5, and I will modify that map so you are given the shield. I must have moved her to far back while tweaking the landscape. I am very sorry I will send version 1.2 to celestial heavens with the fix. I can not believe this 2 maps 2 bugs. If another occurs I will have the map taken down.

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 01 May 2006, 20:27

Please don't take the map taken down. You have worked very long on it, and it's very good. There are a bunch of bugs, but that's to be expected. Here are a couple more issues which I've encountered (from map 2 & start of 3, can't remember map 1 issues):

1) Getting the water elementals on map 2 and sending them to the town alone doesn't give any message, so I had to look in the map editor to find out how to complete the water elemental quest. Maybe have an explanation in the quest itself that the elementals have to be accompanied by a hero.
2) Day 1 text in map 3 says:
Nathaniel also assured Karth that his for Lamentia are genuine.
Did you mean feelings?

There are two main issues I have with the language of the text messages:
1) Some sentences, particularly on map 1, use mixed tenses (i.e. past and present). This is grammatically incorrect, or undesirable at best.
2) There is very little punctuation - periods are not always used, and commas are almost never used.

Also, while this hasn't been an issue for me, I wonder if you've tested a situation where a crucial enemy hero (e.g. Theritos) dies at the hands of a neutral creature stack, so you can't capture or kill him. You might've taken precautions against this (I don't know), but I'm mentioning it because one of the orange heroes on map 2 died at the hands of a creature stack and it made me wonder.

Hope my comments will help you on v1.2/3 :)

Scipion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Scipion » 01 May 2006, 21:50

:S ;| ;|

I played all day today (something like 10 hours) on map 2 .... and couldnt get an end to go map 3 ...
I explored every corner of this map, including underground, killed all ennemies, conquered all towns but the purple ally ones, I 've made all quests I was given ... have emerald bow, magic mantle, researched Talon's past (I found a bit odd to have to wait some days without any particular goal so that he could read the old journal... but he he did it) ... and nothing else ! :-((((

The cave North of the map guarded by Ice demons, where Neska is imprisonned (I think isnt it ?) is unreachable ... no way to melt the ice as I read in the forum ... I didnt find any flaming sword as I read too.

How can that be after such an exploration ...?

Thanks all for your help.

Btw the story is excellent, and I am really "in" ... Help !
:ill:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 May 2006, 23:16

Sipion I just emailed you this "You need to go to the quest hut west of the Stronghold of Garloch. Sorry I did not answer sooner but with all the trouble I have been replaying map 3 to be sure its ok, good news except for some text typos it is alright."

To All I have just played map 3 ok using hermes and ares to do it quickly but it is good to go with a few text typos, on to map 4.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 May 2006, 23:28

Ynhockey wrote:
1) Getting the water elementals on map 2 and sending them to the town alone doesn't give any message, so I had to look in the map editor to find out how to complete the water elemental quest. Maybe have an explanation in the quest itself that the elementals have to be accompanied by a hero.
2) Day 1 text in map 3 says:
Nathaniel also assured Karth that his for Lamentia are genuine.
Did you mean feelings?

There are two main issues I have with the language of the text messages:
1) Some sentences, particularly on map 1, use mixed tenses (i.e. past and present). This is grammatically incorrect, or undesirable at best.
2) There is very little punctuation - periods are not always used, and commas are almost never used.

Also, while this hasn't been an issue for me, I wonder if you've tested a situation where a crucial enemy hero (e.g. Theritos) dies at the hands of a neutral creature stack, so you can't capture or kill him. You might've taken precautions against this (I don't know), but I'm mentioning it because one of the orange heroes on map 2 died at the hands of a creature stack and it made me wonder.

Hope my comments will help you on v1.2/3 :)
Obviously these comments are very helpful, unfortunately the water elemental quest is optional and none of my play testers mentioned doing it. I can add a comment stating they need to be accompanied.

The tense issues are important Wimfrits was very critical on several grammar points and helped clean it up. Unfortunately his suggestions caused quite a bit of text to be added after he tested it.

I did mean feelings.

The critical heroes (Theritos really isn't since it is an optional quest that makes life a little easier in later maps) have scripts that will trigger storyline critical timed messages if anyone but red kills them. Your suggestions will go into a future version, I truly hope 1.2 is the last.

Now to everyone Celestial Heavens has not confirmed they have updated the file so assume it is not the most current version. The scenario information will say version 1.2 for maps 1 and 2.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

How Do I Get Into East Gorge?

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 May 2006, 02:52

How Do I Get Into East Gorge & how do I get the orders from the "Old Guard" to access the final Gold Oracle?

Spoilers please. :embarrased:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Re: How Do I Get Into East Gorge?

Unread postby jeff » 03 May 2006, 13:01

HodgePodge wrote:How Do I Get Into East Gorge & how do I get the orders from the "Old Guard" to access the final Gold Oracle?

Go to the old guard and they will request a release of service from East Gorge and an artifact. Then go to east gorge it changes to Purple (am ally) and receive both from Sir Laine. Many important stroy line events are following this line, but not game completion if are using the artifacts mistakenly given to you. :(

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 May 2006, 16:04

jeff wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:How Do I Get Into East Gorge & how do I get the orders from the "Old Guard" to access the final Gold Oracle?

Go to the old guard and they will request a release of service from East Gorge and an artifact. Then go to east gorge it changes to Purple (am ally) and receive both from Sir Laine. Many important stroy line events are following this line, but not game completion if are using the artifacts mistakenly given to you. :(
I guess my question should've been, where do I go to speak to the old guard? If I remember correctly, I thought I was sent to Gavin the Swordmaker's hut from the East Gorge Quest Gate; and Gavin sent me to find the two potions. I got the potion for the silver oracles but can't get to the final gold oracle because I need to be sent by the old guard to get through the Quest Guard. Where is this "Old Guard"? ;|

Thanks for your replies. :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 May 2006, 16:25

HodgePodge wrote: I guess my question should've been, where do I go to speak to the old guard? If I remember correctly, I thought I was sent to Gavin the Swordmaker's hut from the East Gorge Quest Gate; and Gavin sent me to find the two potions. I got the potion for the silver oracles but can't get to the final gold oracle because I need to be sent by the old guard to get through the Quest Guard. Where is this "Old Guard"? ;|
Thanks for your replies. :)
The old guard quest hut is in the far southwestern corner any hero will do and that will set the variable that lets into East Gorge and there you get what you need to pass through the old guard gate.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 May 2006, 16:33

I completely missed doing Jarvis' quest. :embarrased: I going back to tie up any loose ends. Thanks for your reply & I'm sure I'll be back with more … err … questions. :-D

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 May 2006, 21:19

HodgePodge wrote:I completely missed doing Jarvis' quest. :embarrased: I going back to tie up any loose ends. Thanks for your reply & I'm sure I'll be back with more … err … questions. :-D
Well I completed Jarvis' Quest, made it to East Gorge, delivered the potions, got both the Flaming Sword & the Emerald bow, as well as the Logbook. I really did miss most of the storyline. I'm glad I went back to finish Map 2. Anyhow I just started Map 3; but just wanted to let you know that I didn't find any bugs at all in Map 2. Everything worked great. :-D

Scipion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map 4 .... Impossible fight ?

Unread postby Scipion » 03 May 2006, 23:34

Hello Jeff,

I am map 4, running the 1.3 version you emailed me.
I read you were speaking earlier of a critical fight too hard to win, that you fixed ....
I am wondering ... could it be the fight to get town Florissant and free Fiona??

The garrison in this town is awesome, with more than 60 knights and so on, and I am not sure I can take it .... or it will be very long ... fight, retreat, fight, retreat, etc ....

Thank u .... still totally addict to your campaign.

jeff

Re: Map 4 .... Impossible fight ?

Unread postby jeff » 04 May 2006, 00:12

Scipion wrote:Hello Jeff,

I am map 4, running the 1.3 version you emailed me.
I read you were speaking earlier of a critical fight too hard to win, that you fixed ....
I am wondering ... could it be the fight to get town Florissant and free Fiona??

The garrison in this town is awesome, with more than 60 knights and so on, and I am not sure I can take it .... or it will be very long ... fight, retreat, fight, retreat, etc ....

Thank u .... still totally addict to your campaign.
Yes that's the toned down version. I have toned it down further in the release version 1.3, right now the computer is assigning the number of champions, I have inserted a limiting script based on difficulty level. I have played version 1.3 through map 5 now and except for typos (now fixed), it is bug free. I have played every quest in every one of the first five maps and am playing map 6 now and have found 1 quest hut which is now giving text scripts in the wrong order (it is an optional quest, but I've fixed it in the release version). Let me know immediately if there is anything in your version as you, HodgePodge and DaemianLucifer are sort of playtesting it as well as all of you have the latest version. :D Anyone about to start map 4, PM or email me and I will also send you a copy of this version. I just do not want to send Celestial Heavens any more bugged files. :(

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 05 May 2006, 02:43

Something I noticed on map 3: if you come near the elf garrison but don't have permission to go inside, it will still turn blue, and then it will be an ally town. After this, if you flee a battle nearby, you will end up in the blue town, that is inside the garrison. From that point on, you can enter and exit the garrison at your convenience. Is this intentional?

Also, the language of the new version has been greatly improved :) still lots of punctuation problems though.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 May 2006, 12:43

Ynhockey wrote:Something I noticed on map 3: if you come near the elf garrison but don't have permission to go inside, it will still turn blue, and then it will be an ally town. After this, if you flee a battle nearby, you will end up in the blue town, that is inside the garrison. From that point on, you can enter and exit the garrison at your convenience. Is this intentional?

Also, the language of the new version has been greatly improved :) still lots of punctuation problems though.
The elf garrsion to the north is an ally city and will stay so depending on how you handle things, it is possible to turn have the gates become closed to you. It should turn blue after visiting the friend to the south of your starting position (Lemmar).

I will continue to work text issues as they are found, but will not release an update just for that until several people have successfully completed the game.

Version 1.3 will be sent to Celestial Heavens after I get home from work. Those who have emailed me previously should have received it this morning. I have played that version through the start-up of map 8. Map 8 started correctly, the carryover variables were all correctly set and all carryover artifacts were present. For the last three months I have replayed map 8 several times and it has always performed as expected. Therefore I am confident everyone should be able to play the campaign. to conclusion. :)

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 07 May 2006, 13:25

I reached the part on Map 3 where I need to get the faerie scroll.

I have already contacted Faros, Lemarr, etc., did all the side quests up to that point, and Karth has Expert NM. Also I got rid of each additional hero because the map properties say Least Powerful Hero should have the NM at level 2 (or more). Since the hero portrait shows Lorelei, clearly Karth is the least powerful hero (accoding to the game, actually he is much more powerful).

Is there something else I need to do? The conservatory says that it's temporarily closed because of a fire.

EDIT: I misread the conditions and now realize that if either hero has expert NM, this should work. But it doesn't. Please help :)

EDIT 2: Just tried placing Karth in front of Lorelei in the army order so Karth becomes 'more powerful'. Apparently this has made the script work. This is probably a bug and should be fixed.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”