Homm3 strongest faction poll

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Strongest faction

Castle
31%
Rampart
15%
Tower
No votes
Dungeon
15%
Inferno
No votes
Necropolis
31%
Stronghold
No votes
Fortress
8%

Total votes: 13

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Homm3 strongest faction poll

Unread postby zeus-online » 09 Jun 2015, 15:50

Hi, so i was having a discussion about the strongest town in homm3. I think it's fairly obvious that it is conflux (The other party seems to strongly disagree?)
I know this topic has been done before, but i would like to do so without conflux (Which would presumably win by a huge margin again)

If anyone feel that conflux should be added, i will do so.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Jun 2015, 07:08

I'd say either Dungeon or Necropolis, depending on the map.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 10 Jun 2015, 09:45

GreatEmerald wrote:I'd say either Dungeon or Necropolis, depending on the map.
I agree, i voted for necropolis...If i had two votes i would vote for necropolis and dungeon.
Dracageddon and skeleton farming are both really strong.
Castle is probably the third strongest, simply because all their creatures are very strong.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 10 Jun 2015, 09:54

There is no such thing as strongest town, it depends on dozens of parameters: map richness, map size, neutrals size, neutrals type (good luck with necromancy when all monsters around are shooters or high levels), hero used, artifacts found (lol at your dracageddon if recanter or red orb found), map setup (early skirmish or closed areas) etc etc.

You won't find a single experienced player who says "this is the best". He may have preferences, but usually good players go random in town selection. Because they know each faction's goods and bads.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Jun 2015, 10:21

Voted for Fortress :D

That's a nice town, most fun to play with. Mighty Gorgons are serial killers, so they can beat, when done well, every other town with exception of Necropolis.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Jun 2015, 12:34

Pol wrote:Voted for Fortress :D

That's a nice town, most fun to play with. Mighty Gorgons are serial killers, so they can beat, when done well, every other town with exception of Necropolis.
Eh, well, Fortress is my favourite town, but that's because I play defensively. It's by far the best town for defence, but it can't attack towns at all, since it has only one decent flying creature and that's about it.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Jun 2015, 15:41

Well, yes.

But there's no question for strongest offensive or defensive town. Just in common speech "strongest town". And Fortress is well prepared for Defense or long battles in open terrain.

The other most closest towns are for me Dungeon and Tower. Necropolis by itself is not strong, it relies on specials, like Necromancy.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 10 Jun 2015, 16:37

Pol wrote:Voted for Fortress :D

I am curious, what difficulty do you usually play on?
I am only asking because higher difficulties makes you start with lower resources, and i find that it is difficult to afford the supposedly cheap structures of fortress on the impossible setting.

Actually, what difficulty do you guys prefer playing on? Maybe i should make another poll for that.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Jun 2015, 20:01

zeus-online wrote:Actually, what difficulty do you guys prefer playing on? Maybe i should make another poll for that.
Hard, because that's the fair difficulty setting.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Jun 2015, 20:32

zeus-online wrote:I am curious, what difficulty do you usually play on?
I am only asking because higher difficulties makes you start with lower resources, and i find that it is difficult to afford the supposedly cheap structures of fortress on the impossible setting.

Actually, what difficulty do you guys prefer playing on? Maybe i should make another poll for that.
Impossible. Resources are not my problem, these must be balanced by mapmaker. That's why not random maps. Try to see it here. (There's no story, only modified 3DO map Realm Of Chaos - allied version.)
"We made it!"

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Re: Homm3 strongest faction poll

Unread postby cjlee » 09 Aug 2015, 04:04

I don't play castle that much, and don't like it that much. It's too plain and 'vanilla good guys'.

But I will call castle the strongest faction once you exclude Conflux.

I think when you vote, you need to consider all the possible maps and scenarios. Big map, small map. Poor map, rich map. Low mobility/ terrain makes access difficult, easy invasion routes. Early fight, late fight.

Under all these circumstances, Conflux and Castle are by far the best because they are the most internally balanced. They may not do so well on certain maps as would Fortress or Tower or Inferno, but overall they do better.

The reason why some people are so enthusiastic about certain factions is because it suits their play styles and the maps that they choose to play. For instance, those who want to complete a multiplayer game in 3 weeks on a small map would indeed find Fortress excellent. I simply can't imagine beating an enemy in 3 weeks if I was playing Tower.

If you were on an XL map with tons of resources and a big distance between you and your foes, I'd choose Tower or Conflux over Castle.

If you were on an XL map with multiple starting towns separated by difficult terrain from each other and your foes, I would choose Inferno for their awesome Town Gates.

For me the only conceivable reason to take Fortress on an XL map is that there is significant areas of swamp.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Homm3 strongest faction poll

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Aug 2015, 07:21

But on XL maps Tazar can shine, and you get lots of other towns in the process so the limited spell selection isn't a problem either. Also, it's just fun to play with a faction where every single troop (excluding gnolls) has a special effect. Your enemies get dispelled, weakened, turned into stone, a number of them get destroyed by a death gaze, they get poisoned and several of them get hit at once.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”