NEED HELP - Extracting videos from HOMM 3, 4, Chronicles

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
________
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

NEED HELP - Extracting videos from HOMM 3, 4, Chronicles

Unread postby ________ » 08 Apr 2015, 07:59

I need some help men.

I've been trying to extract and convert all cutscenes from Heroes Chronicles, HOMM3 and HOMM4.

I might compile all text and audio from Chronicles campaigns chronologically too.

I'm using MMarchive, H4unpacker, and RAD Game Tools. I've run into some problems.

I've got unplayable BINK files from HOMM3/Chronicles, I've got files without audio, I've got some files that cannot be converted. I've reextracted and reattempted conversion (to .avi) of the intro to HOMM4 many times, nuffin works.

Has anyone else ever tried to do this? What sort of things could be causing these problems? Are there any good alternatives to RAD Game Tools? I'd prefer converting all the .bik and .smk files with no loss of quality, so .avi conversion is not ideal.

Edit: Should mention that I plan on doing the same for HOMM2. What programs are good to use for that?

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 08 Apr 2015, 12:55

RAD Video Tools should work perfectly on the bik files of all four Heroes games and Chronicles dude, I just tested them out with Heroes 4 and had no problems lol
maybe give a step by step of what you're doing and we see if there's an error?

________
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ________ » 10 Apr 2015, 18:49

For Chronicles or HOMM3, I open the .lod files in MMarchive, then extract them. I then batch convert all .bik and .smk files to .avi, highest quality, convert audio to 16 bit stereo.

For HOMM4, I open and extract .bik files with h4unpacker, then batch convert - same procedure. All videos for HOMM4 went fine, except for the intro videos (intro.bik, wowintro.bik, and stormintro.bik iirc), which were unplayable and unconvertable.

HOMM2 seems to use a .hs file format. Any tools that can unpack those?

All games are GOG versions.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 25 Jun 2015, 16:08

Maybe the GOG versions differ in some way? I know there's some differences, not sure if it would affect video extraction.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”