Tarnum, the Barbarian King - a narrative adaptation

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tarnum, the Barbarian King - a narrative adaptation

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 16 Mar 2015, 13:23

Hello Heroes community,

Hope this topic fits in well in the Heroes I-IV section. If not, I kindly ask the moderators to move to a more appropriate section.

Last summer, while playing Heroes Chronicles for the n time (I don't recall how many times I've finished Tarnum's campaigns esp Warlords of the Wasteland) a thought came to my mind: why not trying to make a 'real story' out of it you know with exposition, rising action, climax and resolution.

Since I was fascinated by the Tarnum character and since I love writing and creating, I gave it a go. Long story short, some eight months later, I've finally finished what I like to call a pilot, a first 'chapter'. It's not that it took me eigth months to do it, it's just I didn't have the time to focus on the story - most of it I wrote last month.

The pilot is a 13,000-word story based on the first scenario of the Warlords of the Wasteland. Whoever played the campaign will be fairly familiar with the setting. You can read more about the structure in the preface.

I like to call it an experiment - it's the first time I've written such an 'extensive' work that can be included in the epic/fantasy/fanmade genre. It was also a useful exercise for me at least vocabulary-wise, topic- and also creative-wise.

Anyway, I also want to hear some opinions and of course criticism. I know the story isn't perfect - it can't possibly be since it's actually my first try even though I might be biased to think otherwise :D That's why I've decided to post this topic on these forums where a lot of Heroes and fantasy genre fans are spending some of their precious time :hoo:

The link to the story is here, it's a pdf btw you can also save it and read it whenever/however you like.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to reading your replies. I will also make sure to answer in a timely manner.

Florian

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Tarnum, the Barbarian King - a narrative adaptation

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Mar 2015, 13:40

Vlad The Devil wrote:Hello Heroes community,
:| :scared: :slap:

There's a difference between "The Round Table" and "Heroes Community", you know. In short, we're great and they're not. ;)

Good to see another fanfic popping up - are you planning to make it into a map?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 16 Mar 2015, 14:07

Awesome idea man, I can't wait to get some time to read it! :D

I was actually planning to do that for The Reckoning, once I finish creating the story / campaigns :D

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 16 Mar 2015, 17:51

Kalah wrote:
Vlad The Devil wrote:Hello Heroes community,
:| :scared: :slap:

There's a difference between "The Round Table" and "Heroes Community", you know. In short, we're great and they're not. ;)

Good to see another fanfic popping up - are you planning to make it into a map?
You're absolutely right, sorry about that.

So let me rephrase and say "Hello Heroes Round Table"

For the time being, I don't have any plans to turn it into a map since the Heroes Chronicles campaigns are still there - which are still awesome btw, esp story-wise B-)
iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: Awesome idea man, I can't wait to get some time to read it! :D

I was actually planning to do that for The Reckoning, once I finish creating the story / campaigns :D

Ty and looking forward for your campaign btw. I keep a close eye on your topic since I loved Heroes IV and the post-Reckoning stuff. In fact, Heroes IV was my first HOMM game as weird as it sounds :D

Sb needs to shed some light on this particular important event.

P.S. Before reading the Heroes History, I always thought Tarnum had sth to do with the Reckoning as in Tarnum handling the Sword of Frost not Kilgor :baby:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Mar 2015, 19:26

This is massive work, impressive.

I remember telling myself that this plot would make a good book, as I played the games a long time ago. This is definitely the best story ever told in a HoMM game, I think.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 17 Mar 2015, 04:27

Vlad The Devil wrote:Ty and looking forward for your campaign btw. I keep a close eye on your topic since I loved Heroes IV and the post-Reckoning stuff. In fact, Heroes IV was my first HOMM game as weird as it sounds :D
Glad you're looking forward to it! Not to thread jack, but I think I have one more display event for the second map before I move on to all balancing, and then release for the first two maps :D

Heroes 2 was my first, but I didn't really start getting into the story until I bought and played Heroes Chronicles last year. Tarnum's exploits really started putting the story together for me. I haven't played the MM series, so I don't really have any of that lore beyond summaries that I've read online in order to do research for what I'm writing in The Reckoning :D
Vlad The Devil wrote:P.S. Before reading the Heroes History, I always thought Tarnum had sth to do with the Reckoning as in Tarnum handling the Sword of Frost not Kilgor :baby:
Just wait. Tarnum may have something to do with the events of The Reckoning that I have envisioned ;)

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 17 Mar 2015, 08:36

Angelspit wrote: This is massive work, impressive.

I remember telling myself that this plot would make a good book, as I played the games a long time ago. This is definitely the best story ever told in a HoMM game, I think.
My sentiments exactly. I too believe Tarnum is the most complex Heroes character ever made and I definitely agree that the Chronicles have a huge narrative potential.
iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote:
Vlad The Devil wrote:Ty and looking forward for your campaign btw. I keep a close eye on your topic since I loved Heroes IV and the post-Reckoning stuff. In fact, Heroes IV was my first HOMM game as weird as it sounds :D
Glad you're looking forward to it! Not to thread jack, but I think I have one more display event for the second map before I move on to all balancing, and then release for the first two maps :D

Heroes 2 was my first, but I didn't really start getting into the story until I bought and played Heroes Chronicles last year. Tarnum's exploits really started putting the story together for me. I haven't played the MM series, so I don't really have any of that lore beyond summaries that I've read online in order to do research for what I'm writing in The Reckoning :D
Vlad The Devil wrote:P.S. Before reading the Heroes History, I always thought Tarnum had sth to do with the Reckoning as in Tarnum handling the Sword of Frost not Kilgor :baby:
Just wait. Tarnum may have something to do with the events of The Reckoning that I have envisioned ;)
Nice looking forward to the release and Tarnum's involvement ;)

I must admit I also didn't play the M&M RPG series although I bought every one of them from GOG. I'm planning to play them and enrich my Heroes knowledge but frankly I don't know when.

I played most campaigns from Heroes I to IV including the Chronicles it was really really fun. I've got familiar with Heroes II and I for the last few years when GOG released the DRM-free versions.

V and VI didn't impress me however - maybe because I've gotten older :) and I don't have the patience to play them and follow the story. You know what they say: old habbits die hard and the old HOMM games are definitely old habbits :D

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 17 Mar 2015, 18:44

Vlad The Devil wrote:Nice looking forward to the release and Tarnum's involvement ;)

I must admit I also didn't play the M&M RPG series although I bought every one of them from GOG. I'm planning to play them and enrich my Heroes knowledge but frankly I don't know when.

I played most campaigns from Heroes I to IV including the Chronicles it was really really fun. I've got familiar with Heroes II and I for the last few years when GOG released the DRM-free versions.

V and VI didn't impress me however - maybe because I've gotten older :) and I don't have the patience to play them and follow the story. You know what they say: old habbits die hard and the old HOMM games are definitely old habbits :D
I love GoG :D They revived my HOMM gaming. I had HOMM2 and HOMM3 (without expansions), so it never took me very long to go through them. I also had no idea they had expansions, so when my brother introduced me to GoG, and I saw multiple expansion packs, I was extremely excited! I didn't know anything about Heroes Chronicles either :D

I haven't actually made it to HOMMV yet. I've stalled on IV until I get this story told :D

On the topic subject: I tried to start reading on my phone, but there seemed to be some trouble viewing the pdf, so I'll have to read it at home >.<

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 18 Mar 2015, 07:57

Hmm interesting should have worked since I didn't insert any images or other media objects that could have made the pdf hard to read for some devices. I just converted my doc to a pdf. Maybe I missed sth.

I could try and convert the story into another format more mobile friendly like .epub or sth

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 18 Mar 2015, 11:09

Ok I've converted the pdf to epub. Hope this helps. I tried it on my Note tablet plus my crappy Alcatel smartphone and works as a charm :D

Here's the link: Dropbox

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 28 Mar 2015, 01:54

I've read most of it, and am enjoying it :D Good job!

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 28 Mar 2015, 09:58

Ty man :D

Since I've got some time on my hands, I'm seriously thinking of continuing the `saga` and write the second chapter based of course on the second scenario of the Warlords of the Wasteland campaign. I've also come up with some ideas involving the storyline. Should be fun B-)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”