Random Map Generator for H4

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Namerutan
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Namerutan » 11 May 2015, 22:06

jeff wrote:H4util attempts this but it doesn't give consistent results when dividing between snow, desert, etc.
Please, could you explain this in detail?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 May 2015, 01:28

You can set percent of different types of terrains; but it frequently gives unwanted results ranging from incorrect amounts of the terrains to clashing terrains. For example I would be looking for an ocean coastline, but would end up with a lake or very little water. Frequently unlikely terrains would border each other without a transition. It could be I just never fully understood the various settings. Overall it still would save me time. I really did not care for landscaping and the loss of a friend's help in that area has caused my last campaign to be stalled for the last two years. 8|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Duzeom_
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Duzeom_ » 12 May 2015, 10:39

Sorry, but using RMG for campaign creation is just ... wrong.

Just imagine a situation when a one mapmaker is making campaign for 3 years and second one in 3 months because he slightly change generated maps. It is nothing more than buying a Chinese fake when you wanted an Iphone. I know that campaigns are a hard work which takes years, but taking a shortcut devaluate campaigns.

Additionally, campaign made entirely by human will always be better than by RMG, because RMG will never be so sophisticated to fake a human job.

I cannot imagine creating your own world generated by a piece of code. It is all fun when making campaign - creating your own vision of countries, land, societies and stories involving them.

Namerutan
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Namerutan » 12 May 2015, 12:07

jeff wrote:You can set (...)
Thanks for answering. I'm very interested on what other people thinks about landscaping.
I know a Random Map Generator is not an easy task, and just landscaping maybe the least required option for most people interested in a RMG, but anyway I thank you (and anybody who cares to opine).
A RMG needs to use some decorations at least to separate zones, blocking the path; also it is needed to set at least one terrain type, but desirable some variety. And after all, a map would me more enjoyable if it is at least decently decorated; the landscapes for a fast 1vs1 map maybe not very important, but it would be the icing on the cake...
Duzeom_ wrote:I cannot imagine creating your own world generated by a piece of code.
I have some ideas, but as already said that would be the least required part for automated map generation.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 May 2015, 17:13

Hmmm.. Good thing I didn't use a RMG then.
But admitted I used existing maps and borrowed a whole bunch of dialogue from Monty Python's The Holy Grail amongst many other existing dialogues, mixed it with my own story as well as parts of the official campaigns.
I don't see an issue with altering something already existing and adjusting it.
Now you might think less of me as a mapmaker, but my visions of the overall landscapes I wanted was never very clear (at least not as clear as I know your ideas were). But that doesn't mean that I don't focus on decorations and creating moods in certain areas, and Duzeom, this you have seen.

Why spend 6 months creating the design and layout of a map if you can do it in 1 month?
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 May 2015, 20:53

Duzeom_ wrote:Sorry, but using RMG for campaign creation is just ... wrong.
I hope you did not misunderstand me. I used it only to landscape. I think it will be a long time before an RMG can make a real campaign, perhaps after the quantum computer is developed. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Random Map Generator for H4

Unread postby Karmakeld » 05 Mar 2016, 20:25

to continue this tread, look at the current progress of recent work at making a RMG for H4. His aim is to include much of what we have discussed in this tread. https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/7/15979
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 13 Mar 2016, 11:15

I think that using RMG for generating campaign is very good idea. You can win a lot of time. You cant put one for one tree stone and other small objects. You can generate 50 maps and choice 5 the best. Then working on it to prepare to your fabula and to eliminate errors. You can create much campaigns. Its very faster. I like random maps. In Heroes III RMG creates wonderful maps.

johnnycage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby johnnycage » 07 Sep 2016, 09:18

I think a Random Map Generator for H4 would be awesome.1 of the reasons I still play H3 WOG 2 this day,is because I'm not stuck playing the same maps over and over again because then it just becomes a race 2 who can get 2 the goodies 1st since you know where they are.On a random map it's all new.On H4 it would be fantastic because you're clueless as 2 where everything is.H4 would have been my favorite heroes if it had a Random Map Generator.I get bored with h4 because of my familiarity with all the maps.1 of the reasons I didn't like making maps myself for H3 is I know where everything is and gives me an unfair advantage over my opponents,with a random map everybody is clueless.I never attempted 2 make a map for H4 because it just seemed 2 complicated and takes entirely 2 long 2 make.

BrennusWhiskey
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby BrennusWhiskey » 09 Sep 2016, 14:56

There is a simple reason why some online players (like me) are playing hundreds times on the same maps. We usually pick random races and we get random artifacts and altars on the same map. This are changing all your tactic in game.

But of course decent RMG for H4 would be great.
Last edited by BrennusWhiskey on 09 Sep 2016, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

johnnycage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby johnnycage » 09 Sep 2016, 16:57

@ BrennusWhiskey not really the castles,minds,treasures,artifacts, and guards are all in the same locations.The layout of the map doesn't change.So it's still a race 2 get 2 the goodies 1st

Return to “Heroes I-IV”