Lore question - Who are the titans and why serve wizards?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 27 Feb 2015, 17:48

MM9 was the game I made the "not speak of it" comment about. It's a pretty standard reaction to it, since it was released in an unfinished state.

A few people seem to appreciate it for its Nicolai references, but I never played it long enough to see those. It was just too no-fun as a game for me to even play past the starting area.

My apologies to anyone who played MM9 and liked it.

I haven't played Ubi's MM10. Since I was never a fan of MM 1-5, with the old style hex-based movement, it didn't appeal to me. I prefer the 3D environment of MM6-8. So, I don't know anything about any lore references to Enroth in it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Feb 2015, 20:25

Anyway, we're getting off-topic. There is no Titan lore in MM9 in any case.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 01 Mar 2015, 11:52

I haven't played Ubi's MM10. Since I was never a fan of MM 1-5, with the old style hex-based movement, it didn't appeal to me. I prefer the 3D environment of MM6-8. So, I don't know anything about any lore references to Enroth in it.
It's certainly worth trying. It has some technical issues , like poor optimization but other than that it's fun game. Yes, like Xeen exploration is hampered by hex based world, but unlike xeen where combat generally is just either hit or cast spell, mmx have very tactical requirements for fights due to position limitations and other game mechanics sometimes game gives very challenging fight that requires to spend extra time thinking on how to get past them.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 03 Mar 2015, 01:25

Even in Heroes II (where they serve Wizards) Titans and Giants seem to be constructs, they crumble into fragments upon death. The same happens in M&MVI too, I think. That and their grey skin probably implies that yeah, they are constructs. Only in HOMMIV did they actually become living giants.

M&M9 had Titans? I only recall one Frost Giant you have to trick into falling down from his own castle, he is too huge to fight. Funny, I did finish that game but remember very little of it, except how terrible it was, with the the ugly graphics, empty towns and total lack of a story, as well as very few enemy types.
Tress wrote:Dont think there is detailed backstory. It's just mob which is assigned to wizard castle. Same thing coud be asked what are nagas.
Basically only since homm5 creatures are given real back stories. So you can pretty much use rationalization of homm5 where they are spirit infused constructs.
Why do people call them "mobs" instead of units? This is not an MMO... ;)

Lots of creatures did get characterisation - through campaign story texts, background information leaked by the developers before its release (remember Xanthor the scholar?), or even through the bios of heroes. Let's not forget before Ubisoft unfortunately made all towns one-race-only, many towns had multiple races to choose from for their heroes.

And yeah, for me in part it was Ubi's pig-headed adherence to "racial towns" that killed the game and made it boring - just compare the "50 shade of purple" drow-elf-ripoff Dungeon town to the colorful menagerie of HOMMII or III. Warlocks were moustache-twirling evil sorcerers commanding mythical beasts with minotaur, troglodyte and human overlord taskmasters, it was a fun concept. Instead of the rather unique gnoll and lizardmen-led Fortress, we now have a town 99% populated by dwarves... including bear rider dwarves, giant dwarves as tall as titans (shouldn't dwarves be, as per the name... short?),etc... It takes variety out of the game. We have other games with racial towns, even those like Age of Wonders included summonable or monster units to recruit.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”