HoMM 3 - Long live the queen campaign

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM 3 - Long live the queen campaign

Unread postby Crassus » 29 Oct 2014, 11:49

Hello dear Clestialheavens users,

Recently I reinstalled my old copy of HoMM 3 on my new Computer. I wanted to start off with the first campaign "Long live the Queen", but as soon as I started the campaign I encountered a strange surprise. I expected the first level, in which you have to capture Terraneus with Christian, but instead of this level I was thrown into a level with Tyris who had to fight against two factions (Stronghold and Fortress). In the scenario you start off with Tyris, a castle in the middle of the map and two other small city complexes (without a citadel). In the north is the Fortress faction and in the south the Stronghold faction.

I mean, it looks like I was just thrown into a different level, but I had the same intro sequence as in the real first mission. Is this a common bug, or has anyone ever experienced something like that?

Thanks for your answers in advance

Crassus

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 29 Oct 2014, 13:50

Interesting. You should check if campaign file has a proper first scenario. Download Resedit 2 from here:

http://www.vault.acidcave.net/file.php?id=63

With this program you can extract many files from the game, campaigns also. If in editor there will be no such map, then it's a bug. If there is map with Tyris... someone made you a joke :devil:

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 29 Oct 2014, 15:21

Hey Taro,

Thanks for the quick answer, I just downloaded the program you recommended me, but I am still kinda lost to be honest. So where can I check if the files are correct? If I try to open ressource files it can't detect any if I go to Programm(x86)/3DO/Heroes3/maps. I can only go to Programm(x86)/3DO/Heroes3/data and have then 2 files to choose from: H3bitmap.lod & h3sprite.lod.

I am sorry that I am so unskilled concerning such programms but if you could give me a detailed instruction on how to look that up, I would be eternally grateful! :)

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 29 Oct 2014, 17:44

All you have to do is to open h3bitmap from data folder and select campaigns files. Like this:

http://s7259.chomikuj.pl/ChomikImage.as ... FXhdM&pv=2

Extract campaigns you want, open them in campaign editor and extract maps you are interested in.

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 29 Oct 2014, 21:25

Okay, I just extracted all campaign maps into a seperate folder. The problem is, that as soon as I try to open them in the map-editor, the programm tells me that it is an invalid-file-version. It says File-Version=1 ; Current-Version=14.

Could it be that my copy of the game has no campaign-altering-function? It seems like I can only edit normal maps and files with the ending .H3M (the campaigns have the ending .H3C)

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 30 Oct 2014, 14:41

You have to extract maps from campaigns WITH CAMPAIGN EDITOR. Like this:

http://s7017.chomikuj.pl/ChomikImage.as ... jfUvM&pv=2

After that ya can open them in map editor.

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 30 Oct 2014, 16:46

Can you please tell me where I can find the "campaign editor"? If I got to my 3DO/Heroes3 folder, this is all I can see:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3791 ... l8_jpg.htm

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 30 Oct 2014, 17:43

Stay away from GoG and other crappy so-called 'HoMM 3:Complete' editions. RoE campaigns are unplayable in such releases. First, You need to install HoMM3: Restoration of Erathia from original CD released in Feb. 1999.

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 30 Oct 2014, 18:04

Uhm Bersaglio, that doesn't really answer my question, but I can assure you that I have the standard 1999 release CD. There aren't even any addons or such, I bought it when the game first came out.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Oct 2014, 20:30

Crassus wrote:Uhm Bersaglio, that doesn't really answer my question, but I can assure you that I have the standard 1999 release CD. There aren't even any addons or such, I bought it when the game first came out.
I see and probably also Bersaglio. The Campaign editor was added later, it wasn't presented in original RoE release. I think that it was added with HoMM:AB and of course it's a standard part of HoMM:Complete :)

The editor is simply named "h3ccmped.exe"

I do have GoG Heroes 3 Complete release but I never played RoE campaigns again so I can't say if you should expect any troubles here.

Anyway you can just use campaign editor from GoG release and install the game in the different folder. In that way you will keep both games along.

By the way what version of game do you have? See patches.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Amehmet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amehmet » 30 Oct 2014, 22:12

Huh, there's a peculiar situation. I really have no idea what could be the cause of your problem, but the map description you've given matches Greed, the final scenario of the campaign Spoils of War. Normally, you choose to side either with the Fortress or the Stronghold faction, while Tyris is unplayable.

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 31 Oct 2014, 05:45

If you have only RoE then you don't have campaign editor :) You need to get AB expension.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 31 Oct 2014, 10:10

I also have the GoG complete edition and I remember I could complete ROE some time ago. What are the problems with?

Also advice for win7/8 users: never install Heroes in default path (program files). use C: path, as program files are restricted in those OS.

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 31 Oct 2014, 15:04

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your help. I guess I won't be playing RoE soon, I might try to install the game on a different PC on a different path. I will post again if it worked, if it doesn't work, I'll accept my tragic fate :-D

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 01 Nov 2014, 01:27

Bersaglio wrote:Stay away from GoG and other crappy so-called 'HoMM 3:Complete' editions. RoE campaigns are unplayable in such releases. First, You need to install HoMM3: Restoration of Erathia from original CD released in Feb. 1999.
Not to thread highjack, but I just ran my crappy GoG HoMM3 Complete edition and fired up the first RoE campaign with zero problems.

Not sure what is going on, but I've been able to run my GoG version and my cd version (only RoE) and the first mission is fine. Sorry I can't help :(

Crassus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crassus » 01 Nov 2014, 10:43

FINALLY, I followed Salamandres adivce and reinstalled the whole thing in a different path, and now it works fine!

Thanks to everyone who provided useful tips and solution to this topic!

This was my first post ever on celestial heavens and this site truly rocks! :D

Thanks again

Crassus

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Nov 2014, 12:14

Crassus wrote:Thanks to everyone who provided useful tips and solution to this topic!

This was my first post ever on celestial heavens and this site truly rocks! :D
Damn right, our community is awesome. :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”