H4 The Reckoning campaigns

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 1093
Joined: 12 Nov 2011

Postby Karmakeld » Jul 19 2015, 15:39

so far the storyline of this campaign is quite interesting. I still have to finish the second map, for fans of Tarnum this is definitely recommanded :yes:
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Jul 22 2015, 22:24

Thanks Michael!

The third map layout is complete (except for some minor landscaping details and some items). I probably have the dialogue written for about half of the map, and I have scripting work to do, but I think it's progressing pretty quickly :)

User avatar
Taro
Scout
Scout
Posts: 163
Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Location: Poland

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Taro » Aug 16 2015, 8:13

Well, I finished firs scenario. There are two things I didn't like:

1) Word of "Dom" which appears every second line of the text. After battle with dark god, when I saw final text and saw again: "Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus....." I screamed "GOD, NOOO!".

2) First map is extremly easy, why is that?

And about landscape - there is almost NO landscape. It's poor for my standards and comparing to vanilla campaigns.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Aug 16 2015, 23:01

Taro wrote:Well, I finished firs scenario. There are two things I didn't like:

1) Word of "Dom" which appears every second line of the text. After battle with dark god, when I saw final text and saw again: "Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus, Dom Viteus....." I screamed "GOD, NOOO!".


Well, you must not like reading ;) At least not third person point of view. Sorry, can't really do much about that :(

Taro wrote:2) First map is extremly easy, why is that?


It's easy because at the time I sent the map, I had not worked on difficulty settings, so you're basically playing it on easy / normal difficulty. I've since added some support for difficulty settings and it is significantly more difficult on champion :D

Taro wrote:And about landscape - there is almost NO landscape. It's poor for my standards and comparing to vanilla campaigns.


As discussed with Karmakeld, I haven't yet become comfortable with use of objects such as grass (having trouble finding what I'm looking for) / flowers / etc. I place them, but then I feel like they don't fit / look well, and so I remove them.

Having said that, I've been trying to do more with them so I can get used to using them and I am continuing to update the maps :D

Edit: Also, please try to be constructive. Simply saying you don't like something is not useful in any way, shape, or form - nor is it constructive.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Oct 30 2015, 18:53

Update: The third map is nearly complete. I just need to finish adding difficulty settings and then I can start testing it.

I've been working a lot on updating maps 1 and 2 (mostly 2) from Karmakeld's feedback, so I've slowed down a little as far as advancing to the next map. I should, however, be back up to speed soon since I've pretty much finalized scripting for things that don't really change between maps (random battles, loss conditions, difficulty settings, etc.).

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Nov 16 2015, 22:13

Update: I've stalled again slightly on story progress, but not for a bad reason. I began work on creating some custom skills that will be available in this campaign. Several of them are hashed out to the point that I've begun scripting them (almost done and ready to test for Tarnum).

Big thanks to Karmakeld and Maciek for their thoughts and feedback :)

User avatar
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 1093
Joined: 12 Nov 2011

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Karmakeld » Nov 18 2015, 9:13

:applause:
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.

Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 8 2015, 19:10

Custom skills update: I've finished scripting / testing the basic custom skills that will be available for most of the heroes in this campaign. It will be a system based on points, so the player can choose which of the abilities they want to put their points into as they receive skill points. Some of the skills apply for each point, while others have a sort of level hierarchy (at 5 points level 1, at 10 points level 2, etc.).

For the skills with the level hierarchy, I still have a small amount of scripting to inform the player of how far they are from reaching the next level.

The basic skills are as follows:
  1. Increased attack for battle. The amount will vary by hero type, and it's calculated using the skill level of melee (+% per point in the ability). I also have a skill for increased ranged attack for another hero. Non might heroes will have a reduced benefit in this skill or it might be altogether unavailable (probably will be story dependent).
  2. Increased defense for battle. Again, the amount will vary by hero type, and it is calculated using the skill level of combat (+% per point in the ability).
  3. Logistics. Increased movement each turn.
  4. Intelligence. Increased mana for battle. The amount will vary by hero type, and non magic heroes will have a cap on how many points can be put into this skill. It is calculated based on the magic skills which increase the hero's mana.

Each hero will start with a couple points in place. For example, Tarnum starts with 2 points in Barbarian Fury (increased attack skill).

I still have other skills that I will implement as the campaign progresses. I'm not sure if I want the player's heroes to "learn" these additional skills at some point, or just make them available like the others.

I've also tested / verified carrying over all custom skill points (including unused points) to successive maps.

As far as the map creation process is going, I think I have about 40% of the layout of the 4th map completed (including landscaping). I'll try to get some screen shots posted up later. The scripting for the 4th map, however, has a LONG way to go. I have 327849656423984320994 ideas (weapon shops, magic shops, general nutrition shop?, a tournament (with several events), and a carnival) that I'm going to be implementing for the 4th map, which is a little daunting. I guess I just have to get on it little by little :D

The story for the 4th map also has quite a bit to go, but I already have the basic outline hashed out. I just need to get into the details!

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 11 2015, 7:05

Here is a preview from my second map.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 11 2015, 7:08

Here is a preview of my third map.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 11 2015, 7:13

And here's a preview of my 4th map (currently still in progress, whereas the others are complete).

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Vlad The Devil » Dec 12 2015, 16:53

Hey man,

Sorry for not getting back at you. I know you sent me a PM like six months ago 8| :nervous: but I've had my hands full with some other life things - I've even put my Tarnum project on hold because of those - and didn't access the forums that much (two or three times tops in the last 8 months). Anyway, since the holidays are coming, I have some spare time on my hands and I would very much like to test the first map of the Reckoning campaign although you may be beyond the testing phase but heck just have some old school fun with the game I love most and the character I love most also - Tarnum of course :D. Will give you my e-mail via PM.

Cheers.

P.S. Great pics btw. Everything looks awesome from a visual standpoint.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 12 2015, 18:03

Vlad The Devil wrote:Hey man,

Sorry for not getting back at you. I know you sent me a PM like six months ago 8| :nervous: but I've had my hands full with some other life things - I've even put my Tarnum project on hold because of those - and didn't access the forums that much (two or three times tops in the last 8 months). Anyway, since the holidays are coming, I have some spare time on my hands and I would very much like to test the first map of the Reckoning campaign although you may be beyond the testing phase but heck just have some old school fun with the game I love most and the character I love most also - Tarnum of course :D. Will give you my e-mail via PM.

Cheers.

P.S. Great pics btw. Everything looks awesome from a visual standpoint.


Vlad! Welcome back, even if it's just for the moment :D

Real life definitely gets in the way sometimes, so that's understandable, haha. I figured something like that was keeping you away. Seems like Dalai is also having some real life stuff. I sent him a pm a while back offering to help with Equilibris, but he hasn't opened it yet. Hopefully everything is well.

Anyway, the first map is actually a prologue map, and doesn't have Tarnum in it, so if you would like, I can send you the campaign and a save to load, which starts at the beginning of the second map. The first map is short (extra small), so you could always go through that if you wanted :D

Alright, well I'll send you an email and glad you like the previews!

User avatar
Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Vlad The Devil » Dec 12 2015, 18:34

Files received, thanks man.

I will start from the very beginning with the first map - even if it's a prologue - on Champion difficulty - I know I haven't played HOMMIV in a while but my ego requires to play every HOMMIV map/campaign on the hardest difficulty :D, I spent countless hours playing the game to back down you know :). I surely hope I won't land in the mud with a bang though hahaha. Will see if I can handle it. If not, well level down and back to the old drawing board. Will play WoW version btw.

Cheers.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 12 2015, 20:04

Vlad The Devil wrote:Files received, thanks man.

I will start from the very beginning with the first map - even if it's a prologue - on Champion difficulty - I know I haven't played HOMMIV in a while but my ego requires to play every HOMMIV map/campaign on the hardest difficulty :D, I spent countless hours playing the game to back down you know :). I surely hope I won't land in the mud with a bang though hahaha. Will see if I can handle it. If not, well level down and back to the old drawing board. Will play WoW version btw.

Cheers.


Champion! Well.. the first map is beatable on Champion.. But I don't think the second map is possible on that difficulty, lol :D I've only made it to the second quest on Champion.. So maybe try expert? Advanced is definitely possible, but I think expert and above is iffy since I haven't balanced yet for them, lol :D

Hmm, well, with the custom skills maybe it's possible? I would suggest trying to level in the first random battle area (you'll know when you get there) and focus almost exclusively on combat skills. In order to completely escape the first area on Champion, you'll need Tarnum to have expert combat and expert melee (if you can get through without that, let me know :D).

User avatar
Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Vlad The Devil » Dec 13 2015, 11:04

Haha will see :D So far so good. I finished the prologue - fairly easy on Champion but when you have an overpower hero/God who can heal himself not to mention other kickass spells, well, there's nothing the AI can do to be honest - and started the second map yesterday evening - just a couple of days ingame nothing major still.

And so far I must congratulate on the story. Great storytelling :tsup: I mean I absolutely love reading about the final battle in the first part and Tarnum's whereabouts in the second. Extensive, rich in details thus very much 'visual-like', the kind of story that unfolds before your eyes without needing cutscenes or any other cutting-edge graphics. The kind of story HOMMIV really needs in order to make the UX immersive so good job on that one :applause: I have a couple of questions to ask but I will e-mail you later today not to give away any spoilers.

Cheers.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 13 2015, 17:31

Vlad The Devil wrote:Haha will see :D So far so good. I finished the prologue - fairly easy on Champion but when you have an overpower hero/God who can heal himself not to mention other kickass spells, well, there's nothing the AI can do to be honest - and started the second map yesterday evening - just a couple of days ingame nothing major still.

And so far I must congratulate on the story. Great storytelling :tsup: I mean I absolutely love reading about the final battle in the first part and Tarnum's whereabouts in the second. Extensive, rich in details thus very much 'visual-like', the kind of story that unfolds before your eyes without needing cutscenes or any other cutting-edge graphics. The kind of story HOMMIV really needs in order to make the UX immersive so good job on that one :applause: I have a couple of questions to ask but I will e-mail you later today not to give away any spoilers.

Cheers.


Thanks man! Glad you're enjoying the story. Also, thanks for keeping spoilers out of here, haha :D I realized that I forgot to mention that to you :D

As I was playing the third map, I found a few bugs and typos and fixed them, so I'll probably be sending you an updated campaign soon.

Michael / Karmakeld, I will also be sending you the updated campaign with a save to the start of the third map. There is a day 1 display event, so you'll need to restart to get it :D Hmm, there's also the map prologue. Maybe I'll just send you a save at the end of the second map :D

Edit: Actually I forgot that I was also working on fixing the crashing issue in the third map (requires some minor map restructuring), so I'll finish that up first :D

User avatar
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 1093
Joined: 12 Nov 2011

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby Karmakeld » Dec 13 2015, 22:39

Remember I can't restart a save if I don't have the map, so remember to include the text :)
I have a save from map 2 myself. Unless you changed carryover properties, I should Be able to proceed from there
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.

Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 14 2015, 2:11

Karmakeld wrote:Remember I can't restart a save if I don't have the map, so remember to include the text :)
I have a save from map 2 myself. Unless you changed carryover properties, I should Be able to proceed from there


Yeah, there are a lot of changes. The custom abilities and carryover for them is new. I was definitely going to also send you the campaign file :D I think it would be easiest to just send you my save from the end of the second map with the updated campaign.

User avatar
iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team
Posts: 577
Joined: 21 Jul 2014

Re: HOMM3 / 4 The Reckoning campaigns?

Postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » Dec 14 2015, 5:40

Alright, I think I'm going to call the crashing issue fixed (until it happens again, of course ;))

What seems to have been the problem was neutrals getting backed into a corner by other neutrals and trying to move, but not having any options since they were blocked. Pretty stupid bug, if (movementOptions == 0) DON'T MOVE!

Oh well. And now I just remembered that I have the third map set to carry in stuff from the previous map, but I haven't set it up to carryover to the next map, so I'll need to get that done before I send the updated campaign so that you can use your own save once I get the fourth map up and running :D

Edit: I added the carryover stuff, but I'd like to verify it first, which I'll try to get done tomorrow.


Return to “Heroes I-IV”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests