HOMM 3 map editor struggles

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mrjosherman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HOMM 3 map editor struggles

Unread postby Mrjosherman » 03 Feb 2014, 01:01

So lately Ive been getting back into playing this game and I have been trying to alter some maps. However every time I go and try to save my changes, I get this message: Access to C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Heroes 3 complete\Maps\Pandora'sBox.h3m was denied.

Please help because i really would like to be able to change maps again.

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 03 Feb 2014, 05:46

If the game was installed in 'Program Files' then you should uninstall your operating system and install Windows XP or earlier. Otherwise you need to uninstall the game, clean corresponding registry entries (created by the game), create folder in the disk root directory (C:\GAMES\ for example) and reinstall the game in this folder.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 03 Feb 2014, 08:39

Alternatively you could just disable UAC, which by default in Windows 7 denies access to the Program Files folder (and various others).
Just make sure to reboot after disabling it to make it take effect.
But before reboot you should save the map in your documents folder.
(Since you can't save it in the directory you want to save it in, but your documents are in your free reign even with strict UAC settings.)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: HOMM 3 map editor struggles

Unread postby Pol » 03 Feb 2014, 10:38

Mrjosherman wrote:So lately Ive been getting back into playing this game and I have been trying to alter some maps. However every time I go and try to save my changes, I get this message: Access to C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Heroes 3 complete\Maps\Pandora'sBox.h3m was denied.

Please help because i really would like to be able to change maps again.
Can you list the file via Explorer?

If so, it's question of rights, disabling UAC sure helps.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”