How to edit HOMM 2 campaign maps?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Tamerlane19
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to edit HOMM 2 campaign maps?

Unread postby Tamerlane19 » 20 Jan 2014, 20:38

Hi guys,

Is it possible to edit the maps from the HOMM 2 campaigns? (I mean both the Succession Wars and the Price of Loyalty campaigns).

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 25 Jan 2014, 14:20

You can't edit them within the campaign itself, but you can make a copy of them and change the file extension to the normal .mp2. I think expansion maps are .mpx. Then you can open them as usual in the map editor. You won't be able to play with the campaign bonuses, but some of them are pretty fun on their own.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Tamerlane19
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tamerlane19 » 25 Jan 2014, 20:51

Kristo,

Thanks for the tip. This method works with the original campaigns, but it doesn't work with the expansion - whenever I try to open an expansion campaign, the map editor crashes (or freezes). Perhaps the correct extension is not ".mpx", but something else? Is there another way to work around this problem?

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 25 Jan 2014, 22:54

The correct extension is MX2. I tested and this appears to work. I also checked the game's map loading code; it seems to treat campaign maps the same as normal maps (though there are, of course, differences during gameplay for the campaign bonuses).

Tamerlane19
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tamerlane19 » 27 Jan 2014, 10:13

Still doesn't work for me. When I try to open an expansion campaign (with .mp2 or .mx2 extension), the map editor crashes. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 27 Jan 2014, 14:40

Tamerlane19 wrote:Still doesn't work for me. When I try to open an expansion campaign (with .mp2 or .mx2 extension), the map editor crashes...
Which version of map editor are You trying to use? 8| Remember that only map editor from Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Price of Loyalty expansion CD (or REAL Heroes of Might and Magic II Gold from this topic, not a GoG one!) will open expansion campaign's maps. ;)

Tamerlane19
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tamerlane19 » 27 Jan 2014, 19:21

Darmani, Bersaglio,

I've managed to install the correct version of the editor and fix the problem. Thank you very much for your help!

Tamerlane19
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tamerlane19 » 28 Jan 2014, 12:25

(problem solved)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”