Heroes 3 Death Knight Death Blow Ability

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes 3 Death Knight Death Blow Ability

Unread postby MeCho » 10 Aug 2013, 16:09

We can all agree that the Death Knight is generally the most powerful level 6 Unit in either case my question is how does Death Blow work exactly now we do know that luck +1/+2/+3 gives a 4.2%/8.3%/12.5%(also note that this percentage is the same on what it increases damage on average should be 5/10/15 imo ) chance to do a 2.0x Critical Strike doing respective double damage im sure that Death Blow works simillary on its own what i do not know is what is the actual chance of Death Blow accuring and how does it intereact with luck exactly for i have had DeathBlow + Luck proc for some wh0000000ping amount of damage especially on Ghost Dragon Debuff (good times ...good times) so is it Luck proc 2.0x (30-60) + Deathblow 2.0x(30+60)=60-120=4.0x Critical! or is it Luck 2x (30-60 + Deathblow 15-30[Doubling the base the base damage only]) =45-90=3x critical .... maybe something else ? we can all agree that the Death Knight is generally the most powerful level 6 Unit in either case

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 10 Aug 2013, 16:58

My eyes...fix that wall of text.

Yes, it is usually considered the strongest level 6 unit.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 10 Aug 2013, 23:21

Let's not forget that while they may be the best (and arguably the coolest) level 6 units - bone and ghost dragons are quite sub-par level 7 units to counter it.
Which is tragic. Image

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 10 Aug 2013, 23:32

Well Bone Dragons are cheap and do really good damage for what you pay for ... while Ghost Dragons have unreliable but very devastating ability its okay that they but if i could swap them for Black Dragons or Archangels or Titans if my budget is up for the task i would and never look back that being said i think its okay that they ARENT great level 7 Units as Necropolis Faction is on the strong side imo

Im still waiting for someone to answer my question found in the former post btw

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 11 Aug 2013, 11:33

In general all necro creatures are strong because immunities to mind, so while some would prefer nagas with their special ability, death knights are more painful at every moment of the game. But who cares, skeletons are all you need when playing necro, they will win battles, not dragons or knights.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 11 Aug 2013, 13:57

Yes but thats only if you can "harvest" enought of them ... one tactic i like to apply if i have Inferno Town to get imps to skeleton transformator its especially effective if you have the grail another thing to note about skeletons that imo you should NOT buy the upgraded skeletons even while the skeletons join as upgraded if all slots are full and you have upgraded skeletons thats only 66% of what you would normly get its just better of to upgrade them at the castle before final push or leave them as it is
Last edited by MeCho on 11 Aug 2013, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 11 Aug 2013, 14:23

Harvesting is hard in very early game, and a strong reason one should build asap vampires lords and dragons is for harvesting purpose. Once your hero has mass haste/slow + fast creatures as vampires and dragons, he can indeed start harvesting skeletons with positive outcome . Before vamps you will probably lose more skellies than you can harvest every battle, especially if fighting shooters or other fast creatures.

First week is tedious for necro, but once you have the aforementioned bonuses, no other race can defeat you.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Aug 2013, 17:28

MeCho wrote:another thing to note about skeletons that imo you should NOT buy the unupgraded skeletons; even while the skeletons join as upgraded if all slots are full, and you have upgraded skeletons, thats only 66% of what you would normly get
Punctuation please ;)

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 11 Aug 2013, 18:08

GreatEmerald wrote:
MeCho wrote:another thing to note about skeletons that imo you should NOT buy the UNUPGRADED skeletons; even while the skeletons join as upgraded if all slots are full, and you have upgraded skeletons, thats only 66% of what you would normly get
Punctuation please ;)
Thx... Fixed... do not upgrade the skeletons my last statement is misleading im sorry
Last edited by MeCho on 13 Aug 2013, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 11 Aug 2013, 18:44

Unless its a Large or X-Large Map i see no problem with the Necromancery unless by fate or pure luck you manage to combine The Cloak Of The Undead King which whithout doubt is the most broken thing in the game and its not my opinion its a fact

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 15 Aug 2013, 09:45

Yeh, well, that stupid cloak was never meant for anywhere beyond SoD campaign anyway. IIRC it got banned from most multiplay anyway.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 15 Aug 2013, 23:22

I always wondered. Is the abuse of skeletons a WoG thing, or am I just bad at this faction? I can get several hundred without much effort, but that usually isn't enough to sway a battle, and I have to give up a better hero (logistics/offense/armorer) to play necro, especially using the necro specialty hero.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 16 Aug 2013, 16:58

Why WoG, wog doesn't change necromancy bonus. Necromancy shines on large maps, on medium will not get more than a few hundreds of them. Which should be enough for an opponent who managed only 5-6 level 7 creatures, means week 2-3.

The trick is to not start harvesting too early, but latest, the best. Those 20 goblins will give you a few skeletons week one, but if you leave them and get back week 3, you will get much more.

Being slow with all creatures, necro can be easily defeated by hit and run still. Some decided this tactic is unfair and dishonest, but if one picks necro when fighting against me, I will do it again and again without any remorse.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Aug 2013, 20:46

Yea, while skeletons can get intimidating, they are quite susceptible to hit and run, much more so than creatures that actually have some HP. Although if you get Prayer at Expert, the enemy may not get the chance to do any hit and run :) (I always wondered how Prayer could work on undead, but I suppose they're just praying to the god of death, that or Sandro :devil: )

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 17 Aug 2013, 02:15

I was thinking of the increased neutral creature growth option in WoG.

I guess it makes sense to try and leave the weak stacks until later, but you still have the problem that the heroes need to level up somehow. Most of the time (especially early) cashing the chests in seems a bigger priority than taking experience.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 18 Aug 2013, 23:05

10% per week is not that small i am currently developing a map where castles are hard to get and if you dont beat the monster during mid game you might not be able to beat them at all ofcourse 10 % out of 50 Imps is just 5 imp growth but 2000 Black Dragon will produce 200 and 220 the next one

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 20 Aug 2013, 06:42

Arret wrote:I always wondered. Is the abuse of skeletons a WoG thing, or am I just bad at this faction? I can get several hundred without much effort, but that usually isn't enough to sway a battle, and I have to give up a better hero (logistics/offense/armorer) to play necro, especially using the necro specialty hero.
It has been done since H 2. Necromancy was the most well, abuse-prone thing. Thing is, when u get something for free, u tend to want 'em as much as possible.

Several hundreds o' 'em wasn't enough to sway a battle, just in case the opposing side also has the same number of similar (or better) things in his/her ranks. On the other hand, in case he/she didn't, it matters.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”