Heroes 3 - How many magic schools ?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

How many magic schools do you ideally want for your hero?

20%
47%
27%
7%

Total votes: 15

Korbac
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes 3 - How many magic schools ?

Unread postby Korbac » 08 Jul 2012, 12:19

When you're building up your hero - how many magic schools would you ideally want ? (like if you find a conflux town with a magic university in the beginning of a scenario)

For example, when you're leveling-up your beastmaster, would you get earth+water or earth+air or maybe all three of them ?

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 08 Jul 2012, 21:28

All depends on your playstyle.

Earth is a must have. Slow, shield, stone skin, and eventually town portal. All the other guilds are optional and the choice should be made based on your mage guild (Did you get berserk or clone?).

Solo I tend to run 3, mutliplayer 2.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Jul 2012, 04:22

Agree. But if you play slow factions as stronghold, fortress or necro you will be heavily penalized if no air or water. Earth is first to get, then depends of race, map design, game settings and your tastes as well.

Personally I prefer water over air, if I was restricted to only two schools. Cure/dispel are enough, and the higher water spells as forgetfulness, prayer, teleport and clone have a better use than air spells.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Jul 2012, 05:36

If the hero is a Magic hero, then I try to get all of them. If it's a Might hero, then it depends on the circumstances, but yea, usually 1-2.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 09 Jul 2012, 08:29

Usually 2 is enough for optimal use. 3 at most, if u have any chance to actually have a longer play like say, > 4 months game turn.

I'd chosen 3 though, since the question ask for an ideal condition instead of an optimal one.

Chose the 4th only if you happen to got a winning spell of that school.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Jul 2012, 22:09

I usually like to have 3 Magic Schools … Earth, Air & Water … if I can get them. I rarely use Fire so I voted for 3. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

LoDebar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LoDebar » 01 Aug 2012, 14:43

Well I always get Earth, Town Portal and Resurrection makes it a game changer.

And I'll want Water for Prayer and Cure, and Summon Boat depending on the map

And Fire depending on the map... maybe I start Dracageddoning, if not Berserk can be really handy

And if I can't get one of Fire/Water due to being some might hero, I'll get Air for the Haste. So typically I'll end up with 3 ideally.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 01 Aug 2012, 15:59

Ideally one wants a single school because you can then get yourself intelligence, sorcery, wisdom and also other combat/logistics skills.

You won't be able to cast that many spells, so you want a few devestating one's that will win you to game quickly.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 02 Aug 2012, 01:57

I can't justify only 1 school except under very special circumstances. Even if you are going purely defensive, you probably want either mass dispel/cure or mass haste to catch your opponent off guard and everyone needs Earth.
Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:Ideally one wants a single school because you can then get yourself sorcery
I think I found the problem.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Aug 2012, 05:25

Depends on the hero and the scenario. I use approximately two.

I can justify one school under some circumstances (Often warriors - only water magic or only air, wisdom is not needed.).

Sorcery is not much useful skill, mysticism and intelligence shouldn't be also overestimated.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”