Fired up the old classics again - HOMM1, HOMM2

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Shield
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Fired up the old classics again - HOMM1, HOMM2

Unread postby Shield » 29 May 2012, 15:06

Got them both to run on a Win7 64 bit system by installing to the C:\games folder. I did find I had to hit (F4) a few times on HOMM1 after the game was launched, but the CD music worked great.

On HOMM2 I find the player map movement isn't smooth - I've tried to adjust a few of the compatibility settings to no avail. It seem sluggish for some reason. Any ideas? Seems like there's almost a delay when you travel long distances or pick up resources. I'm sure it has to do with the direct hardware access the original required, but it's still playable.

Anyway, I hadn't played HOMM1 all the way through before; I hadn't seriously played the game in 17 years. While the graphics were crude and the battle scenes slow, it was still very entertaining.
Love the CD music, and I can't believe I still have all my old HOMM1-5 CD's. All of them.

Thanks for listening.

Crayno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crayno » 31 May 2012, 07:18

I had the same problem with HOMM2 and the sound in the "movies" hardly work as well.
When I installed it, it said didn't pass the requirements (I have a high end 1 year old pc) and it even said I didn't have enough memory so that could be the culprit.
I also experienced some stuttering and instability in general so I uninstalled it again, really wasn't playable enough for me.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

good games

Unread postby cjlee » 01 Jun 2012, 18:55

so many years after H1 and H2 came out, people are still playing them.

This compares favorably with the trash that is H6.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 05 Jun 2012, 04:23

H 2 was perhaps the most memorable of the series for me. Art was most fascinating, just like looking into fairy-tale book.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”