Do MM 3 and 4 work on Win 7 64 bit?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
SyZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Do MM 3 and 4 work on Win 7 64 bit?

Unread postby SyZ » 18 Feb 2012, 18:50

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Might-Magi ... -3-catcorr

Will this collection work on win 7 64 bit?

Also, would I enjoy it if I really liked MM 5? I played 5 and both expansions and it took 3 months and was really fun, then I tried out Disciples 3, King's Bounty, and both were just meh for me

Looking at the walkthroughs it seems like this is a ton of content, is it worth it or are the graphics / gameplay so outdated by now it's better to just play 6?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 18 Feb 2012, 19:24

I am running H-IV from that package on both Win 7 64 and 32 bit computers without any problem. Just ignore any system check failures during installation, I forget what it says but things like you do not have the correct directx. I am not using any compatibility modes though some have said they needed to use Win XP ser pack 2. Now as to the early MMs that is for someone else to answer as I haven't played them since windows 3.1
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

SyZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SyZ » 19 Feb 2012, 05:36

It said I failed the OS check because It wanted 95, 95, or ME, and then it also said I failed a memory check (wtf?) because it wanted 32 mb and it said I only have 4 gb (actually have 8). It actually said I had an up to date DX (I have 9 and 11 installed)

Just ignore these?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Feb 2012, 18:30

Yes
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Mn
Scout
Scout

Re: Do MM 3 and 4 work on Win 7 64 bit?

Unread postby Mn » 21 Feb 2012, 06:11

Yes, of course. I play HMM3 in Win 7 sometimes, not sure about HMM4 - I don't like it. I think you only must set compability of exe-file to Win 98 or XP.

Solipso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Solipso » 06 May 2012, 19:33

With Windows 7, 32-bit or 64-bit, you should right click the Heroes3 or Heroes4 startup icon, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, click Change Settings for All Users, and click Run This Program as an Administrator. If you do not do that, your saved games will not be stored in their rightful place in the Heroes3 or Heroes4 directory.

Most players may not worrying about that. But I always save my most recent save to an external hard drive. Windows 7 (and Windows Vista) makes that difficult because it stores saved games in an obscure place in your Users folder. With my last save on an external hard drive, if my hard drive or my PC breaks down, I can always continue the game from where I left off.

Also with Windows 7 64-bits, I ran into freeze-ups caused by stuttering sound, in Heroes 3. But that may have been because I was using a Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard. I don't know. But I solved that problem by re-installing soundcard drivers AND by installing the Creative Labs Alchemy software (it's free). Then I used the software to enable Heroes3 in Alchemy.

A final thing, not literally having to do with Windows 7: If you use a widescreen monitor, be sure to play Heroes3 and Heroes4 by using a 4:3 aspect ratio. And for Heroes4, your monitor should support 1280x1024 resolution. If it supports HD (1920x1080), that will probably be good enough even if the 1280x1024 does not show on your display properties.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 May 2012, 20:08

H3 does work with HD mode under Win7 64bits almost as good as under pure WinXP/2000 or SE. (Albeit with occasional crash, from which you can recover, luckily.)

H4 with or without EQ plays as well, as my short observations goes.
Looking at the walkthroughs it seems like this is a ton of content, is it worth it or are the graphics / gameplay so outdated by now it's better to just play 6?
The graphics is the only think which is outdated. In all other aspects they shine to these days.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Solipso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Do MM 3 and 4 work on Win 7 64 bit?

Unread postby Solipso » 07 May 2012, 02:55

SyZ wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Might-Magi ... -3-catcorr

Will this collection work on win 7 64 bit?

Also, would I enjoy it if I really liked MM 5? I played 5 and both expansions and it took 3 months and was really fun, then I tried out Disciples 3, King's Bounty, and both were just meh for me

I use the same Sold Out release of Heroes of Might & Magic III & IV Complete. No problems, not even occasional crashes after I resolved those freeze-ups I mentioned in my preceding post.

Heroes III graphics are outdated, but I think most HOMM players think that Heroes III has the best gameplay.

I think that the graphics of Heroes IV are not at all outdated. They are not 3D, like Heroes V, but the 2D images are clean and sharp without pixellation, and I prefer them over the graphics of Heroes V. Played at the highest res, 1280x1024, Heroes IV looks perfect, and maps are generally loaded with pleasant images, animations, and sounds. In fact on a big map, there's so much going on that I've had frame-rate slowdowns with Windows 7. I had to crank down the res to 1024x768. Still good, though. Also, the music of Heroes IV is pretty good.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”