Copyright on Grapics, Names, etc.

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
schoening
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Copyright on Grapics, Names, etc.

Unread postby schoening » 14 Feb 2012, 17:42

Hey, i posted earlier about a 3d version of homm3.
(and i still plan to make one in the future :D)

But at the moment i am working on a 2D/3D space shooter multiplayer.

With that engine i would be able to create a browser version of Homm3 fairly easy..

The part that would take the most time and effort is actually the creation of all the graphics and animations, and it would be waaay easier if i could just take the homm3 grapics and reuse them !

And it would also enhance the nostalgia i think :)

Anyhow.. in a sense this Topic question is entirely useless because i could just do it within a few hours of research.

But does anyone know who owns the graphics of HoMM3 ? 3DO died.. and the franchise moved, so did the graphics move aswell?

If you don't know. don't sweat it :D This project will first begin once my current game is ready for launch B-)

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 15 Feb 2012, 04:41

Based on my unfounded knowledge Ubisoft owns the rights to Heroes 1-4, and by that right they have copyright on all the resources and graphics from the game. As far as I know they haven't stopped any projects from using the graphics from HoMM3 (which use small portions), but they can stop you at any time. To reuse all the HoMM3 graphics and animations would almost certainly warrant a shutdown of your project though.

I wouldn't go ahead with it personally.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 15 Feb 2012, 12:53

Ubisoft definitely owns all h3 graphics. If you want to use it - I strongly doubt you can reach an agreement with them about it. But you can create something with placeholders and open to modifications. And some other "evil hacker" would then create a graphics pack based on h3 graphics.

It's all pure theory, of course. :proud:
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kranyum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kranyum » 16 Feb 2012, 22:37

I bet that if a couple of developpers get together and build a Heroes-like game which remains faithful to the H3 and H4 legacy, everyone on this forum is gonna buy and love it.

schoening
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby schoening » 17 Feb 2012, 23:34

Dalai wrote:Ubisoft definitely owns all h3 graphics. If you want to use it - I strongly doubt you can reach an agreement with them about it. But you can create something with placeholders and open to modifications. And some other "evil hacker" would then create a graphics pack based on h3 graphics.

It's all pure theory, of course. :proud:
I don't know why everyone thinks Ubisoft is so bad with the copyright stuff :p I called them because of another running project involving TM Nations and they had no problems with licencing there :p

However here.. yeah i can see how they wouldn't allow me :p

schoening
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby schoening » 17 Feb 2012, 23:35

Kranyum wrote:I bet that if a couple of developpers get together and build a Heroes-like game which remains faithful to the H3 and H4 legacy, everyone on this forum is gonna buy and love it.
I hope so :) I definitively post here once i gotten some progress :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Feb 2012, 15:48

Ubisoft don't usually bother with user-made mods/games (neither supporting nor opposing them) as long as they are free.

If, however, you try to make money on projects with their copyrighted material, they will stop you.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

schoening
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby schoening » 19 Feb 2012, 11:16

Kalah wrote:Ubisoft don't usually bother with user-made mods/games (neither supporting nor opposing them) as long as they are free.

If, however, you try to make money on projects with their copyrighted material, they will stop you.
Yeah and i totally get that :p
Thx for the input people :)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 21 Feb 2012, 11:56

schoening wrote:I don't know why everyone thinks Ubisoft is so bad with the copyright stuff :p I called them because of another running project involving TM Nations and they had no problems with licencing there :p

However here.. yeah i can see how they wouldn't allow me :p
It's the combined impression of all Heroes games modders (that I know of) who actually made some efforts with Ubisoft. Me included. ;|
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Return to “Heroes I-IV”