Official Heroes 4 campaigns and the editor....

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
sigma_1932
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Official Heroes 4 campaigns and the editor....

Unread postby sigma_1932 » 16 Dec 2011, 14:40

Is there any way to open up the official campaigns from HOMM 4 in the editor?

I'm curious about some of the details of the maps themselves, and I don't see anything in the maps folder for the game that looks like the campaign maps.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 16 Dec 2011, 14:58

Yes, Resedit 2.

sigma_1932
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sigma_1932 » 17 Dec 2011, 05:41

Excellent! Thank you sir!

Mardigo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mh4.win32.006

Unread postby Mardigo » 27 Dec 2011, 13:58

And what about mh4.win32.006. I read about using this util to edit sounds and images in the resource files.

I tried to slightly modify original The Gathering Storm campaigns but it won’t work.

I used the resedit 2 and utility mh4.win32.006 https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm4/ ... 32.006.zip

I extracted all the files from storm.h4r.

Edited Dogwoggle campaign maps, saved without changing the neame.

Then I repacked the ALL the files through the option “Build a h4l file”, placed it in the Data directory of the game, but at the game launch there’s no option to start a new gathering storm campaign. WoW campaigns, original H4 campaigns and Tutorial are all in place and startable but no GS campaigns.

The curious thing is that the original storm.h4r file is 38,8 mb in size. The repacked storm.h4r is 38.3 mb even without minor changes in the map files I was going to make. Just extracting and then repacking results in loss of 0,5 mb in size an file corruption: the game does not recognize the repacked h4r file. The same thing is true for Vista and Win7. No WinXP available to try. (Sighs)

What am I doing wrong

A smart account from another forum says
"Extracting and repacking results in a loss of "paths"
When you open your new storm.h4r, you can see that your files got no "path" anymore."

Anyone knows how to add the paths?

Thank you.

AKuHAK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AKuHAK » 27 Dec 2011, 18:33

Try this new, updated version. Original version contains bug with wrong campaign unpacking (and packing :) ) and bug with wrong pointer writing.

Mardigo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mardigo » 28 Dec 2011, 04:21

This version seems to be really buggy about the campaigns. The editor does not recognize the extracted h4c files as valid files. So they can't be opened and changed. I tried to use mh4_096 to pack the files extracted by mh4.win32.006 but it's worse. The game now crashes with an error message at the attempt to start a new game.

How did they manage to make Equilibris with this software?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 28 Dec 2011, 10:09

Mardigo wrote:How did they manage to make Equilibris with this software?
A Maranthea's Mug, Leprechaun's Ring and GM Order Magic is all it takes :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

AKuHAK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AKuHAK » 28 Dec 2011, 13:07

Mardigo wrote:This version seems to be really buggy about the campaigns. The editor does not recognize the extracted h4c files as valid files. So they can't be opened and changed. I tried to use mh4_096 to pack the files extracted by mh4.win32.006 but it's worse.
ok one word about it. You cannot take your own campaigns and just pack them into h4r file, you cannot take your own music files and just replace city and land themes and you cannot take bitmap pictures and replace main screen. Each file (it means EACH file) have checksum inside. So you have to edit this files via hex if you wanna to get them working.

mht 0.06 clears this checksum so you can open it via heroes 4 campaign editor but if you want to pack them back you have to insert checksum MANUALLY or game will crash. :) If you really are interesting in it you can translate this guide from russian.
mht 0.96 doesn't clear chesksum information from file - so you can pack campaigns back without any troubles. I unpack and then pack back all .h4r files and doesn't see any troubles. But if you want to change files you have to do it manually with hex editor.

Mardigo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mardigo » 10 Jan 2012, 13:21

Спасибо тебе большое, AKuHAK.
Боюсь, что переводить не придется ;)

DeathSeeker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Solution!

Unread postby DeathSeeker » 22 Jan 2014, 09:03

I managed somehow to get it to work. I edited storm.h4r.

As AKuHAK mentioned, the checksum/header was the problem.
I opened a campaign map unpacked with 0.06 and 0.96 in hex editor to see if there's a difference and only the first 8B (the first row of letters) was different. 0.96 had extra 8B at the beginning of file.

So what I did is unpacked whole storm.h4r with 0.96 in a folder. Elsewhere unpacked with 0.06 the campaign map I wanted to edit. Used the map editor to make whatever changes I wanted. Opened the edited map in hex editor and added the first row (the checksum) from the same map unpacked with 0.96. Copy the altered map to the folder in which you unpacked storm.h4r with 0.96 (it will replace the old map). Repack storm.h4r with 0.96 and replace the original storm.h4r.

That worked for me. Enjoy and don't forget to backup! :D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”