Need help with Tower

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Need help with Tower

Unread postby pikeman93 » 12 Sep 2011, 21:29

I've been reading Jolly Joker's guides and I'm becoming so used to them. However, no Tower guide means that I had to private message him a couple of times, but I feel that maybe a thread is better to address my concerns.

I've been playing Tower on 130% and 160% difficulties, trying out what's the best way to be good at it. My week 1 strategy is almost always to upgrade every single gremlins I have. In 130% I build every dwelling, and on 160% I build city hall and upgrade gargoyles on day 8. So for 160% I have upgraded gargoyles and gremlins, as well as magic arrow to take care of neutral stacks. I upgrade gargoyles just so that neutral stack of archers wouldn't pwn me. A speed of 9 beats speed of 8, the highest speed on any non-lvl 7 shooter (cyclops king)

The problem is what to do after. Should I try to get naga queens ASAP? However, if I upgrade the pavillion, I'll be spending 3 gems, which may be necessary to upgrade the cloud temple. But how about the other upgrades? Are they worth it more than the naga queen upgrade? To me, iron golems are too slow, arch mage requires 5 of every resource (library), and master genies aren't strong enough because they're almost always the second last dwelling to build.

My aim is to upgrade cloud's temple week 4 day 1 on 130%, and week 5 day 1 on 160%. This begs another question - what should I do with mage guild #2? Should I build it after I upgrade the cloud temple? I know that it depends on the situations, but since the cloud temple upgrade is so important, would it be important to spend as little gems as possible before the upgrade building?

Thanks.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Sep 2011, 18:03

Personally I don't find the Cloud Temple upgrade so necessary. Giants are pretty fast and have quite a bit of hitpoints, and there are enough ranged troops as it is in Tower, and there aren't that many melee troops to guard said ranged troops. And you will be able to upgrade your Giants later on anyway, so you don't really lose that much by focusing on Nagas.

maygwan
Scout
Scout

Unread postby maygwan » 13 Sep 2011, 18:44

There is no real advice as each map differs and certain strategies will help based on the maps you play.

For example golems are slow but have high defense and can protect your ranged units very well. They are also immune to a lot of spells so clearing early stacks with gremlins (master) the golems act as a good defense especially if your hero as tactics.

On another note all the creatures have certain abilities like mages give your hero a reduced spell cost so if the hero only as a few spell points just having 1 mage/arch mage will make your spell pool last a little longer.

master Genies are a must the free spell they can offer your units x3 turns is invaluable and you can split the stacks to cast multiple spells on 1 of your units.

Based on the map you play you need to use certain creatures to your advantage so building the right choices for the map you are playing.

3 master genies and 1 giant can take out huge stacks of creatures just by spamming free magic onto your giant.

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 13 Sep 2011, 21:06

Another issue I forgot to mention is the wood and ore cost.

I tried many variations and it's extremely difficult to have both the castle AND cloud temple on the second week if there's only one ore and mill on my side of the map (the type I usually play)

But giants + 3 master genies - nice I haven't thought of that. I guess by doing I get to save 3 gems from upgrading nagas so I can upgrade giants earlier. So now my build order is:

Mage Guild 1
Upgraded workshop
Golem factory
Mage tower
Altar of wishes
Golden pavillion
Cloud temple

(btw I altered all my maps so that both the 1st and 2nd dwellings are always pre-built)

Day 8 I upgrade the genies, so I end up with 5 master genies and 2 giants. 5 stacks with 1 genie each (and one stack of regular mage) sounds great, and the speed 11 is much better than the speed 9 of gargoyles.

Thanks!

maygwan
Scout
Scout

Unread postby maygwan » 14 Sep 2011, 04:20

pikeman93 wrote:Another issue I forgot to mention is the wood and ore cost.

I tried many variations and it's extremely difficult to have both the castle AND cloud temple on the second week if there's only one ore and mill on my side of the map (the type I usually play)

But giants + 3 master genies - nice I haven't thought of that. I guess by doing I get to save 3 gems from upgrading nagas so I can upgrade giants earlier. So now my build order is:

Mage Guild 1
Upgraded workshop
Golem factory
Mage tower
Altar of wishes
Golden pavillion
Cloud temple

(btw I altered all my maps so that both the 1st and 2nd dwellings are always pre-built)

Day 8 I upgrade the genies, so I end up with 5 master genies and 2 giants. 5 stacks with 1 genie each (and one stack of regular mage) sounds great, and the speed 11 is much better than the speed 9 of gargoyles.

Thanks!
You only need a castle second week if you are on a map that you come under threat very early in the game.
All maps differ which is why you pick the strategy for that map.
ie if the map is low on gold you build
tavern town hall mage guild 1 then market and blacksmith and finally city hall.
You also recruit heroes with the special ability 350+ gold.

Heroes make a huge difference to maps too like rissa(tower hero as special ability +1 mercury, solmyr comes with chain lightning from the start so he is great for clearing away huge stacks early game.
Torosar comes with a free ballista so instead of buying one buy him you get a free hero in the process.
Saurug the battle mage comes with special +1 gem so he is a great hero to recruit for tower players.

adam77
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby adam77 » 14 Sep 2011, 15:35

pikeman93 wrote:So now my build order is:
Mage Guild 1
Upgraded workshop
Golem factory
Mage tower
Altar of wishes
Golden pavillion
Cloud temple
Hello, though i have not much experience on 130 or 160% settings, i would consider switching day 1 and day 2 builds.
Master Gremlins can help on day 1 to conquer mines.
On the other hand there is a good chance that you miss nothing if you do not build mage guild on day 1, many tower heroes have scholar and there are also a couple of heroes who come with magic arrow/slow/haste.

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 14 Sep 2011, 17:51

^^True, but either way, you'll still be recruiting 2 heroes due to the fact that a) you get more gremlins and b) you get more chests. So I'd rather have my second hero channel all the master gremlins to my first hero on day 2

@Maygwan - Yeah, but castle also provide you with 2x more troops as opposed to 1.5. Having 4 more grand elves on week 3 in case you're playing rampart can make a huge difference.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 17 Sep 2011, 05:48

Hey, if u can afford to build Cloud Temple in 1st week, why don't u just make up for Town Hall instead of upgrading Gremlins ? U got more gold to spend then.

No need to upgrade into Titans very early. In Heroes 2, yes, because the cost to upgrade will be doubled. But in Heroes 3 not.

The only creatures u need to upgrade in Naga Queen. Because they be so damn sexy :-D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”