Is Combat too good (Heroes IV)??

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which statement below best suits your view on the effectiveness of the combat skill category?

Combat is way too good.
23%
Combat is somewhat too good.
24%
Combat is about as good as it should be.
42%
Combat isn't good enough.
3%
Combat isn't good enough.
3%
I am not sure.
5%

Total votes: 62

MacFearsom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MacFearsom » 20 Apr 2006, 19:38

Combat ISN'T good enough, not by a longshot.

At least that is always how I feel when I'm stuck with Might without handy access to gaining some magic skills.

The mightiest warrior with complete immunity against magic doesn't come close IMO to matching up against a few allied lower level magicians with complementary level 2 spells or higher.

Give me at least one magician or water elemental that can throw down some quicksand and that mighty warrior is toast.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 20:23

MacFearsom wrote:Combat ISN'T good enough, not by a longshot.

At least that is always how I feel when I'm stuck with Might without handy access to gaining some magic skills.

The mightiest warrior with complete immunity against magic doesn't come close IMO to matching up against a few allied lower level magicians with complementary level 2 spells or higher.

Give me at least one magician or water elemental that can throw down some quicksand and that mighty warrior is toast.
Only a demonologist and GM nature hero has a chance against a GM combat hero.And that is only if he has better initiative,robe of the guardian,a strong guarding stack,or combat himself.

MacFearsom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MacFearsom » 20 Apr 2006, 20:41

DaemianLucifer wrote: Only a demonologist and GM nature hero has a chance against a GM combat hero.And that is only if he has better initiative,robe of the guardian,a strong guarding stack,or combat himself.
That hasn't been my experience.

Perhaps it is because I generally have a GM nature (or close) hero in that situation that the GM combat heroes don't awe me.

Up against one all by my lonesome, that would be a chore or more. But we're talking about Heroes IV, and I always travel in groups of heroes, often groups comprised exclusively of heroes.

By the time I (willingly) face GM combat heroes, my squad has plenty up their sleaves to take on him, his buddy, his buddy, and her buddy. And under the worst case scenario, I'll retreat, seeing as I have no creature troops to lose.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 20:46

1 on 1,only summons can beat GM combat hero.Thats,of course,not counting mixed skills(combat+magic)and creatures.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 21 Apr 2006, 06:18

You can't live without Combat. I'm positive a purely Combat army can take out one without Combat at all.
Last edited by Banedon on 21 Apr 2006, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 21 Apr 2006, 07:09

Combat is about as good as it should be, that's certain, it increases hero's chances to survive battle (or his combat effectivness)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 21 Apr 2006, 13:15

Combat is excellent :)
Combined with the ability to heal yourself you are practically impossible to kill. Throw in GM archery and you're good to go. There's no need for any creatures or so I've experienced, I did fine without an army :proud:
And I ain't even that good at Heroes..
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Pallas Athene
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Pallas Athene » 21 Apr 2006, 22:03

combat rules!

Vulcanic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vulcanic » 22 Apr 2006, 07:36

Vote: As good as it should be.

Okay in the beginning, but in the later parts can't see too much significant power in it.

SmokingBarrel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby SmokingBarrel » 22 Apr 2006, 07:43

Banedon wrote:You can't live without Combat. I'm positive a purely Combat army can take out one without Combat at all.
That will depend on your so called combat. I believe a tactician army will take out your combat army anytime.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Apr 2006, 11:15

I mean Combat vs. Magic (without Combat). So one army with just GM Combat heroes and another with just GM Magic casters. It would be very difficult for the Magic side to do much then, since a few arrows would kill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Apr 2006, 11:44

Because in HeroesIV MR is sticked with Combat skills I tend to agreed very much...

voted:
Combat is somewhat too good.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Monte Cristo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Monte Cristo » 25 Apr 2006, 00:29

Voted: Combat is as good as it should be........ What are players of the game expecting it to be ?
The truth is out there

Guard of BH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guard of BH » 25 Apr 2006, 08:59

The combat skill is as normal skill as it can be and with comparison to others it si not outbalancing. Basicaly it didnt change the aproach of building a hero it stayed the same as in heroes 3.... all heroes would have the combat skill
BH - is the name of the place where i work :)

My pic suits the animal of the year i was born :)

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 03 Feb 2009, 08:43

Banedon wrote:I mean Combat vs. Magic (without Combat). So one army with just GM Combat heroes and another with just GM Magic casters. It would be very difficult for the Magic side to do much then, since a few arrows would kill.
The army with GM magic casters wins (do they have a tactician too? without any combat skills of course!), unless for some reason creatures are completely banned or those GM casters are all chaos casters with damaging spells only.

Say two life mages (divine, fervor), two nature mages (summon level 5, fortune, speed) and a mixed guy (master chaos, adv death, expert nature) and a tactician with cancellation + all heroes have PoI on. You can bring as many same-level'd combat guys, as you wish (even 7, if you want). Heroes have basic equipment.

How do you plan to kill any heroes?

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Feb 2009, 10:32

Wow, you really bumped this one good! 8|
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 03 Feb 2009, 10:36

<-- just wondering if I'm in enough of an argumentative mood to:

1. Continue a thread from so long ago;
2. Argue something after what happened with mass Chaos casters vs. mass Nature / Life heroes.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2009, 12:01

Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

bot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bot » 03 Feb 2009, 13:33

It depends on what kind of map you play. When you have to play against huge armies and you have only 7 heroes, combat means nothing(except magic resistence). You cannot kill 1000 titans, 300 evil sorceresses etc. and also 3 level 70 heroes (equiped with a mind shield...)only with your combat skills. You need something else... Well, combat is good, but not enough.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 04 Feb 2009, 08:41

Banedon wrote:<-- just wondering if I'm in enough of an argumentative mood to:

1. Continue a thread from so long ago;
2. Argue something after what happened with mass Chaos casters vs. mass Nature / Life heroes.
You don't have to. I just wanted to clarify a hypothetical question (does full magic beat full might). The answer is obvious.
You may challenge it if you want to, but honestly, I would bet you think I'm right too.

I've read soem of your posts in the last years (after our big clashes) and it seems to me that you have gained some levels on your heroes4 skills :-)

ThunderTitan :-) (whetever, this whole forum is dead anyway - the games are too old)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”