AI mechanics for neutral stack of archers units

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

AI mechanics for neutral stack of archers units

Unread postby pikeman93 » 18 Aug 2011, 16:56

When fighting neutral stack of archers, how does the AI work? Does the AI only target the unit with the lowest defense, or only archer units with the lowest defense if I brought archer units along with me? If I play castle, fighting a stack of grand elves/evil eyes/storm elementals, and have a group of marksman and no other weaker archer units to use as fodder, nor do I have any units with a speed higher than 6 (unless I upgrade griffins which I don't want to), what would I do to minimize marksman casualties?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 18 Aug 2011, 17:41

Ai priority mechanics are bit complicated and I dont know it all, but generally you cant avoid AI targeting your archer units, you will need to aggressively block them(like with pegases) or use (mass) air shield. You can however split them in 1 unit stacks, so they act as decoys and main damage from enemy shooters go to waste.
Generally shooter mobs are bane of creeping, specially if you rely on your own shooters.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 20 Aug 2011, 08:21

That depends on AI level. Different AI difficulty level has different target priority.

IIRC, at Hard and up, it will target the one which get the most casualties. This moreover will depends on range, HP of each unit in stack and defensive.

Also, AI have 'special' targeting priority on certain creature types, which means, you can be sure they'll be targeted like, 90 % of the time no matter the case. This might be related to the creature rankings of those in your armies.

adam77
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: AI mechanics for neutral stack of archers units

Unread postby adam77 » 22 Aug 2011, 23:29

pikeman93 wrote: ... nor do I have any units with a speed higher than 6 (unless I upgrade griffins which I don't want to), what would I do to minimize marksman casualties?
Don't bring them into battle against shooters.
If you really need them to beat the monsters, it may help if you advance with your fast walkers/flyers (like centaurs if you had a rampart hero or griffins with speed 6 - or 7 on grass which is usually the case while creeping with castle).
In this case the monsters will do more damage to the fodder than would do to your marksmen so it's up to you if it's still a good deal for you (I would always sacrifice centaurs for marksmen).

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 26 Aug 2011, 15:44

But what if, let's say, I'm playing Tower and I need to take a gem pond guarded by a pack of grand elves? I've got mage guild, and upgraded workshop for first and second days, and I'm ready to take the pond. Do I transfer all my gremlins to another hero and fight the grand elves with only my gargoyles?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 26 Aug 2011, 15:55

Gran elves are pain.

I would not attack them so early except if I have one hero with tactics, 7-8 obsidians and gremlins.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 06 Sep 2011, 04:12

If you got mage guild, just use whatever magic you got there.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”