How do skill-related character specialties work?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How do skill-related character specialties work?

Unread postby pikeman93 » 06 Aug 2011, 23:56

Let's say a character has a specialty in logistics (5% per level). And the character has basic logistics as secondary skill (which grants 10% boost). At level 1, would he/she have 10% + 5% = 15% boost in movement, or 5% x 10% = 10.5% boost in movement? Thanks.

I hope to god it's the former.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 07 Aug 2011, 01:17

The latter (5% x 10% = 10.5% boost in movement) is the way it works.

Obviously with Expert Logistics it stacks up and gets pretty huge at higher levels. Think a level 20 hero with expert logistics gets 30% + (5%*20*.30)% = 60% Movement Bonus, i.e. double effect of expert logistics. If you add artifacts onto this (i'm not certain where in the equation they add their movement) it becomes absolutely huge. There's a custom campaign called Rebellion (my 2nd favourite campaign actually), which has Kyrre as the main hero for the campaign. By the last scenario she's travelling amazing distances, being about level 22 or so.

Don't be disappointed by this formula, in fact it's actually very useful in most heroes maps, especially XL maps. Just combine this movement with something like Town Portal and you can pretty much conquer a Large random map with 1 hero (and a few good defensive armies)

pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pikeman93 » 07 Aug 2011, 03:02

Ok. Well I guess it's not as broken as I thought.

But this is a huge issue with Kyrre though. From here: http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ladv.shtml, a secondary growth of 5 for logistics for Rangers is not good at all, and you might advance 20 levels without getting a single option of upgrading your logistics to the advanced level. So he could get stuck with only 20% more movement. This is bad, because I always use him.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 07 Aug 2011, 06:36

its not an issue at all unless you visit 6 witches huts and get every skill before you advance a level. With all specialty heroes, you should be aiming to max out their specialty skill as a 2nd priority (first priority is accepting new skills which you want). I've never played a game with Kyrre where I wasn't able to get expert logistics before level 10.

Aenain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aenain » 08 Aug 2011, 07:53

pikeman93 wrote:This is bad, because I always use her.
Actually, Kyrre is a lady, if you look at her biography :) I often use her, too. And I think that her specialty is almost overpowered. But yes, sometimes, it may happen that don't have the choice to upgrade to Advanced and Expert logistics for many levels.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 08 Aug 2011, 08:07

pikeman93 wrote: and you might advance 20 levels without getting a single option of upgrading your logistics to the advanced level.
Are we playing the same game?

Kyrre starts with basic Archery/Logistic so you will get expert Logistic at 5th level the latest. Of course if you clown around by constantly picking a new skill, it will delay.

Up to you to know what you want.

Star King
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Star King » 09 Aug 2011, 02:22

Do artifacts that give a boost to skills work the same way? If you have the Vampire's Cowl and Expert Necromancy, is it .1 * 30 + 30 = 33, or 30 + 10 = 40%?

Also, if you have both boosting artifacts and a boosting specialty, which bonus is applied first, specialty or artifacts?

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 09 Aug 2011, 13:42

It depends on the artifact. Some are additive (30% + 10% = 40%) and others are multiplicative (30% "+" 10% = 33%). I believe the necromancy artifacts are all additive, with a 100% cap (you can't raise more HP/creatures then there originally are)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”