noobish question for HOMM3

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
pikeman93
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

noobish question for HOMM3

Unread postby pikeman93 » 15 Jul 2011, 15:37

This is an HOMM3 question: After you pick a main hero, are you only limited to two randomly chosen heroes for each week? Or is there some way to cycle through the rest of the other heroes on the first week until you get one with a desired skill?

Why I'm asking this is because a lot of guides say that it's a good idea to hire a hero with a scout ability on the first week in order to scout the land. However, since I can only hire one of two heroes on the first week, if none of them have the scout ability, then that would mean the plan wouldn't work.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Jul 2011, 16:30

You're limited to two. And what they say is that if you're lucky it's good to have one, if not, you'll have to make do with a scout hero - not with the scouting ability, but just a scout, one that goes around exploring the land.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 17 Jul 2011, 10:06

Well, actually you're not limited to 2 random heroes only. The thing is, only 2 random heroes will appear in your tavern at any given times.

If you hire one or both heroes from the tavern, then another random heroes would appear there. However, the chance that these heroes would have skills according to your need is random (there be no telling if you'd like them or not).

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Jul 2011, 13:14

You could cheat and wait for a week, save on the 7th day before waiting, and then reload until your hero appears. Still, that's tedious and mostly unfair.

Dstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dstr » 18 Jul 2011, 17:09

in addition if you play on impossibile the money is very important.
in exchange of scouting you could have estates or logististics, air magic etc...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 18 Jul 2011, 17:25

Scouting is not that useful. Just having a second hero is usually good enough. It would probably help more to pick one that has a speciality that produces resources or gold...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jul 2011, 18:28

Didn't hiring one give you a new option after?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Jul 2011, 21:03

Yes, it did. Always two they are... after you hire one, another jumps in his or her place but only with 1 unit in army (it was changed to prevent gremlin rush exploit).
Only in HV you can hire two heroes per week.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 27 Jul 2011, 08:52

IIRC in Heroes 3 you can hire as many heroes as you like ? (providing you got the fund, of course).

The limit is something like, 8 for active heroes and 1 for each garrison you got.

IRT pikeman93 :

It seems that the advice you got was actually for a 2nd hero to do the scouting job (going everywhere and clearing the fog of war), not really a hero with Scouting skill.

If this was, then really, just any hero will do.

Exarch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Exarch » 29 Jul 2011, 00:37

The second hero is also ideal for picking up loose resources around the map. I wouldn't want to waste precious movement points with my main hero picking up a pile of ore or wood.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”