Your Kind Of Map

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What type of map do like to play on?

1) Typical Tournament
13%
2) Role Playing Quests
55%
3) Bunker Brawls
3%
4) Survivals Trials
5%
4) Survivals Trials
5%
5) A hybrid of these
11%
6) Another type
3%
7) I don't believe in "map types"
5%

Total votes: 38

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Your Kind Of Map

Unread postby Nucleon » 24 Mar 2006, 23:42

Howdy!

It recently occured to Nucleon that there are no such thing as a "typical map", because He thinks that players stick to one, or a few, general types of map.

So He be interested to constat what people like to play. As a mapmaker, your opinion is dear to Nucleon; here are a few explanations for the types of map on the poll, types that are far from being exhaustive, of course:

1) The tournement map; Balanced, even symetric maps where each player start with basic town, semi-open areas where mines, lose ressources, treasure chests and low-level artefacts abound. Typically set in medium maps, there are made for fast play; Everything's build and discocered in three weeks. This is, by far, the most popular kind of map played here, Nucleon thinks.

2) Role Playing maps; The exact opposite of 1). Many times, there is not even another camp in these maps, where hero development is more extensive; the key to the game is often a race against time, a monster to beat, or a quest of some sort. Duration is largely a variable, but neutrals must be carefully done.

3) "Bunker" types of maps; Single or Multi players are given an easily defendable strongplace, surrounded by a large, neutral, open "battle space" where numerous towns are encountered. often is requires larger maps, more time and offers less starting ressources than the type 1).

4) "Survival" maps; Ressources are scarcingly counted, you have no town, or a more imposing force is about to strike; these masochies are the hard ones, and tend to be both single player and short.

Opiniate!
(Translated from Silent Speak)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Your Kind Of Map

Unread postby Pol » 24 Mar 2006, 23:52

Well I was sticked to three maps: Realm of Chaos(Allies), Seven (Also Allies) and the one which name I constantly forgotting but Banedon pointed it out once. (Very small map, like Elbow Room)

Actually the Seven and Myths and Legends are very similar types of map.

And I believe that all of them are basically just "Survivals Trials". :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Mar 2006, 00:20

Does nucleon always talk about his excellency in the third person? :)

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Mar 2006, 00:23

I chose RPG. I like maps with lots of quests and lots of battles. I usually prefer maps to have chokepoints that are defendable rather than the map being comepletely "wide open."

GOW

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 25 Mar 2006, 01:18

I'd say a hybrid of those choices...Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's a fun map to play...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Mar 2006, 02:18

I prefer the "classical" type of map by far. I also dislike maps that are wide open. My favourite maps all have many choke points with armies of differing strength, a normal amount of mines, and an abundance of artifacts of various class guarded by proper guardians.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 25 Mar 2006, 03:23

Pol - Manifest Destiny, yes?

I think it depends. If I'm playing alone RPG maps are the way to go - no point thrashing the living daylights out of the poor AI time and time again. If I'm playing against a human opponent(s), then any map aside from RPG maps are fine.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 25 Mar 2006, 03:42

Psychobabble wrote:Does nucleon always talk about his excellency in the third person? :)
Indeed He is.

Nucleon's favorite maps are "Bunker Brawls". He likes mixing armies and having many heroes at many fronts.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Mar 2006, 03:59

Nucleon wrote:
Psychobabble wrote:Does nucleon always talk about his excellency in the third person? :)
Indeed He is.
That answer didn't make the slightest bit of sense :). And even Caesar sounded pretty silly when he did it...

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Mar 2006, 07:19

Come now, this is the Heroes forum. You've got to get used to at least half the people not making the slightest bit of sense. Which half varies from person to person, though.

I tend to like small, early conflict maps.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 25 Mar 2006, 07:40

I mostly enjoy roleplaying maps, so I voted for that.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Mar 2006, 08:48

Banedon wrote:Pol - Manifest Destiny, yes?
Yup !. That it was :D

Maybe that I should change my vote to I don't believe in such "map types". It's hard to pick any of the offered solutions as you can see that my favourites maps, templates, purely do not fit to any of these. And maybe that is mixture of all them... who put in the essence of theirs lives?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 25 Mar 2006, 12:32

Psychobabble wrote: That answer didn't make the slightest bit of sense :). And even Caesar sounded pretty silly when he did it...
Did He?

:devious:

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 25 Mar 2006, 16:51

Nucleon wrote:having many heroes at many fronts.
Ooh, I certainly am not fond of that. I'm one of those old-fashioned types that like to develop a single super hero at any cost. :proud:

difool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby difool » 26 Mar 2006, 01:45

I am definitely in the strategy camp-I dislike drawn out boring stories, esp.
those which are very linear, prefer 8 player XL with severely beefed up AI
factions and tons of strategic options with lots to explore.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Mar 2006, 03:07

Voted: Role-Playing

Like Lost Crusade or Draconic or Taming the Brew or the Wind of Thorns or the Gambler or On a Necromancer's Trail or the Depierrelles campaigns to name just a few.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 26 Mar 2006, 17:17

Metathron wrote: Ooh, I certainly am not fond of that. I'm one of those old-fashioned types that like to develop a single super hero at any cost. :proud:
Nucleon definitely like having many fronts, many heroes and many armies. He likes one "superhero" as well, but on longer, more open maps, the defenders usually receive their fair share of experience just by being there. It give Nucleon the occasion to try different strategies, base on different hero classes, skills, and creature combinations all in the same game.

He likes that, the "administrating" aspect of the game. In many cases on the maps Nucleon likes to play, most of the work is done in the Meat Dimension with a pen, a paper and a good one.

But He can understand those who like a faster-paced, simpler, more competitive one, thought.

;)

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 26 Mar 2006, 20:29

I like THe roleplaying ones... I can sit for agaes trying to get past that insane hero just to get the next piece of story... Especially stories likr the THUNK campaign are good ;)

Else Justice agrees with Nucleon.

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 27 Mar 2006, 16:20

Ow please stop with that 3rd person talk it's really annoying to read your posts. Voted for role playing games, a few heroes killing everything in sight is my favurite kind of map.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 27 Mar 2006, 18:30

Vote 2, 3, and 5
I'm going with anything that can be long and drawn out. I don't move fast.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”