Heroes Chronicles added on Good Old Games.com!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
blueskirt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes Chronicles added on Good Old Games.com!

Unread postby blueskirt » 23 Jun 2011, 12:55

Good news guys, Heroes Chronicles was finally added on Good Old Games, all eight chapters for 9.99$. Over are the days we had to hunt each chapters at ludicrous prices on eBay or sites of dubious morality, over are the days we had to juggle with five CDs whenever we had to install it.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_ ... l_chapters

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jun 2011, 13:20

People have been looking for this for years. Now I guess they'll start bitching about how those games are easy and missing features. :D
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 23 Jun 2011, 13:34

Awesome. Now if only Heroes3HD would work on these. I tried, but couldn't get it working.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jun 2011, 16:27

Woo, awesome! :D

And no, they're not easy. At least not the second game. *shudder* Also there are no missing features, in fact, I think there are new ones. Is adding troops to a town already in HoMM3? Or custom messages on picking up resources?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jun 2011, 18:56

They were certainly easier than some of the AB/SoD campaigns.

And I remember people complained about each game having 3-4 factions each, no multiplayer, etc. But since they were single-player scenarios, I didn't mind.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jun 2011, 19:10

Yes, but then those campaigns are sadistic to begin with :disagree:

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 Jun 2011, 21:38

Meh. The H3C campaigns can be downloaded for free from a chinese website anyway.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 24 Jun 2011, 11:16

Just bought the whole package for 7.30 €. Not a bad deal at all! Yay.
And, legally too you know. :D

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 24 Jun 2011, 13:45

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Meh. The H3C campaigns can be downloaded for free from a chinese website anyway.
Congratulations, you've discovered that pirating software is cheaper than paying for it! :rolleyes:
It's also illegal. :slap:
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 25 Jun 2011, 08:22

A nice gog related boxart is already out:

http://i.cubeupload.com/asRRiO.jpg

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 25 Jun 2011, 12:18

fancy :o
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 28 Jun 2011, 12:36

Whole chronicle series should have that price tag from the start to represent its worth. Sure it had tons of text, but that was pretty much only redeeming quality of those games. Asking for couple campaigns price of full game was unethical to put it mildly (then again game really go downhill with dlc's nowadays, and if games like fallout at least have decent campaigns for dlc, then things like extra npc in DA2 or ME is just lame )with considering there is no mplayer or custom maps.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 28 Jun 2011, 12:49

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:It's also illegal. :slap:
In Texas it is also illegal to carry wire cutters in your pocket or to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. :devious:

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Jun 2011, 13:27

hatsforclowns wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:It's also illegal. :slap:
In Texas it is also illegal to carry wire cutters in your pocket or to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. :devious:
:lol: :lol:

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 28 Jun 2011, 15:06

The main goal of Heroes Chronicles series of games has been the narrative history of the world of HoMM3, the addition of the connecting elements with subsequent games of the series and the creation of a bridge to HoMM4. For these reasons they are worth the money.
I don't like the idea of electronic distribution of this series because in this case the authors of such distribution would have to use third party No-CD cracks for these games (at least protected ones - WotW, CotU, MotE, CotD, tFC: RotB & tSoF). This is not approved by 3DO in any form and (for me personally) is also illegal.
Final note about poster: Ubisoft has no relation to the publication of this series of games (no published printed version which can be bought) so in the poster (see Ya5MieL message) Ubisoft must be replaced with 3DO.

Sorry for my bad english...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 28 Jun 2011, 15:45

Not bad English but bad logic ;) Ubisoft own the publishing rights and are therefore the publishers.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jun 2011, 19:35

Bersaglio wrote:This is not approved by 3DO in any form and (for me personally) is also illegal.
But it's approved by Ubisoft, therefore legal :D

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 28 Jun 2011, 20:47

Yes i forgot to add that the boxart itself is unofficial :P.
Gog did not make it and it is just a fan contribution.
It is a nice one however, and supplements the download well.

But,

The GAME ITSELF is a perfectly legal distribution of it and did not use "3rd party no-cd executables". Gog actually has permission to remove DRM from the game they distribute. In this particular case, that permission was given by Ubisoft, current holder of publishing rights for all Might and Magic games, and part of the profit from the game goes directly to them.

3DO is long dead, and Ubisoft can sell the game by any means they want, be it physical or digital distribution.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Jun 2011, 21:04

I don't thnk anyone who knows what GoG is would think it's a cracked version for sale...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 29 Jun 2011, 07:20

Ya5MieL wrote:The GAME ITSELF is a perfectly legal distribution of it and did not use "3rd party no-cd executables". Gog actually has permission to remove DRM from the game they distribute. In this particular case, that permission was given by Ubisoft, current holder of publishing rights for all Might and Magic games, and part of the profit from the game goes directly to them.
Again: Ubisoft have no relation to these series of games. Ubisoft did not released these games! There is no way for these games can be copy-protected by UbiDRM! These games was released in 2000-2001 by 3DO (Developed by New World Computing) and have simple Safedisc copy protection (v1.50.020 - v2.30.031). Ubisoft definitely not have the original unprotected game executables because Ubisoft isn't a developer of these series of games. Only New World Computing (and maybe 3DO) may have the original (unprotected) executables. The original protected executables are called 'Warlords.icd', 'Underworld.icd', 'Elements.icd', 'Dragons.icd' and will not start without the original CDs.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”