Stopping HoMM3 crashes on Win7

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Stopping HoMM3 crashes on Win7

Unread postby BMJedi » 22 Jan 2011, 23:31

Hello, I was having a problem running HoMM3 on Win7 where the game would sometimes crash when a hero would enter a town.

I've read where others have had this problem.

Based on a tip from another website, I tried updating/reinstalling my sound drivers. I just played for about four hours without any crashes.

My hypothesis about why this may work, is that newer games may reconfigure the sound settings when they start, and that HoMM3 is unable to do so. Thus, reinstalling sound drivers resets the settings to default. That may be why it seems to work, or it may be a crazy idea.

Anyway, it's worth a shot for anyone who's having trouble with Homm3 crashes.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jan 2011, 09:13

I highly doubt that. For example, I use an SB soundcard, and its drivers are pretty different from the standard ones. Besides, the usual HoMM3, without WoG, does not crash in that manner. Plus it crashes only mostly in the town screen, but not always there.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 23 Jan 2011, 16:26

Oh well, even if my wild guess about why it might work is probably incorrect, the thing is that it worked. I'm pretty sure the crashes on Win7 with RealTek integrated sound definitely have to do with sound, because the crashes in my case always occur upon entering a town, when the program attempts to switch from terrain soundtrack to the town soundtrack.

I only share it here because it's an idea to try for anyone reading who still hasn't solved the issue.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Jan 2011, 19:23

That's true, when I think about it, most crashes outsite town screens that I've encountered were while switching between heroes and exiting battles, where music changes as well.

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 24 Jan 2011, 09:05

also changing to 256 colour helps...
not sure what it has to do with sound, but for me it does stop crashes =)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”