Questions on Equilibris mod

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Questions on Equilibris mod

Unread postby Romanov77 » 26 Nov 2010, 15:34

After looking at the revolting H6 art style, (still manages to be better than H5) I have been feeling nostalgic for Heroes4.

I have the game plus both xpacks, but I have played it quite some time ago.

Now I have some questions:

1) I remember the original game being bloated and full of imbalances...have all these things been fixed in the Equilibris mod?

2) Does the mod affect the existing campaigns?

3) Does the mod feature some new scenarios, campaigns or maps?

4) Does the game works under Windows7 64bit?

5) I have a 16:9 monitor...what will happen?
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Questions on Equilibris mod

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Nov 2010, 17:25

1) That's the whole idea of Equilibris. It's even in the name.

2) The mod doesn't overwrite the executable, so you can switch between it and the usual non-modded game at your convenience.

3) I don't think so.

4) Definitely.

5) You will see black bars to the left and right.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Nov 2010, 17:59

GreatEmerald wrote:1) That's the whole idea of Equilibris. It's even in the name.

2) The mod doesn't overwrite the executable, so you can switch between it and the usual non-modded game at your convenience.

3) I don't think so.

4) Definitely.

5) You will see black bars to the left and right.
:up: Best. Answer. Ever. :applause: :hail:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 27 Nov 2010, 00:25

personally i wouldn't try the campaigns with Equilibris mod. While the mod does a very good job at balancing the game, it also does a lot to make the campaigns seem to be much easier, a lot of the changes are quite drastic (such as the lowering of the cost of Citadels and Castles from $7500 to $3500.

For scenarios though the mod does a good job. The great thing is the ability to run both versions whenever you want, unlike Heroes 3 Wake of Gods which permanently codes over your engine.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 27 Nov 2010, 07:59

Thank you guys.

By the way, I also remember that the AI was really bad. REALLY bad.

Does it put a decent challenge with Equilibris?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Nov 2010, 15:12

Spin wrote:The great thing is the ability to run both versions whenever you want, unlike Heroes 3 Wake of Gods which permanently codes over your engine.
No, it does not. What it does is manipulate the resource files for no reason at all (personally, I've 'dewogified' my resource files and I have H3 Complete and WOG working side by side just fine).
Romanov77 wrote:By the way, I also remember that the AI was really bad. REALLY bad.

Does it put a decent challenge with Equilibris?
I never had any problems with it. I guess it depends on your strategy skills or something. But IIRC some of the AI problems were fixed in an official patch.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 28 Nov 2010, 00:59

GreatEmerald wrote:
Spin wrote:The great thing is the ability to run both versions whenever you want, unlike Heroes 3 Wake of Gods which permanently codes over your engine.
No, it does not. What it does is manipulate the resource files for no reason at all (personally, I've 'dewogified' my resource files and I have H3 Complete and WOG working side by side just fine).
How do you get both versions working side by side?? I have Shadow of Death Installed on 1 computer and Wake of Gods on another just so i can play Heroes 3 without WoG once in a while, not to mention WoG Installs over the Shadow of Death Campaigns which are the best campaigns.

Do i just copy some resource files from my SoD computer to the one with WoG on it??

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 28 Nov 2010, 02:57

WoG objects and creatures install in same LOD as the regular ones, but Heroes.exe is not overwritten, so you can at any time play Heroes or WoG from same folder. Same for campaigns, playing from Heroes.exe will change nothing for regular campaigns, playing from WoG.exe will show the WoG campaign instead of SOD one.

Definitely both can coexist in the same folder without harm. Some icons are replaced still, but only graphics.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Nov 2010, 09:27

Just run Heroes3.exe and not H3WOG.exe. Duh. And if you want to get rid of the changed graphics, you'll have to dive into LOD territory. My modified LODs are only for H3Complete.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 29 Nov 2010, 22:52

So, you guys confirm me that playing the single player scenarios with the equilibris mod is an enjoyable and reasonably challenging thing?

Also, I heard about this Homm4 Complete package...does it feature an integrated interface for all the expansions like H3 complete did? Is this version compatible with equilibris?

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 30 Nov 2010, 13:56

Romanov77 wrote: Also, I heard about this Homm4 Complete package...does it feature an integrated interface for all the expansions like H3 complete did? Is this version compatible with equilibris?
The version of HoMM4 complete I got works fine with Equilibrus. I got the version From MAD publishing, which has all of HoMM3 and HoMM4 complete on one DVD.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

SoRHunter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SoRHunter » 03 Dec 2010, 09:49

Romanov77 wrote:5) I have a 16:9 monitor...what will happen?
GreatEmerald wrote:5) You will see black bars to the left and right.
Actually, it depends on the settings of your graphic card. It may keep the resolution (and these black bars on either side of the screen) or it can stretch the image (it fills completely the screen, but the images will be pulled/stretched). ;)

Do get the Equilibris mod, as it makes the creatures worth their money (it's a tough choice now between Cyclops and Ogre Mage - what will you choose: a heavy long distance hitter or the physical resistance and spells?) and, overall, makes the game better.

I had trouble in the first scenario of Chaos campaign either with and without Equilibris... In the end, I had greater fun with it than without. ;)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”