how does a leprechuan kill a megadragon?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

how does a leprechuan kill a megadragon?

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Jul 2010, 13:17

I was looking for something on Crusard's campaign Champions, and chanced across an old post by Cherko (posted in 2006).

Cherko apparently managed to get a level 70 hero and use one leprechuan to kill a megadragon.

How can he do that? A megadragon can deal 55-110 base damage. Even with grandmaster tactics, a megadragon should be able to kill at least one leprechuan per attack.

I have two solutions, and would like to hear what others think:

Solution 1, a hotseat scenario. Cherko plays an archmage with grandmaster order magic with a leprechuan, versus a totally dumb level 70 hero with a Megadragon. The level 70 casts Heavenly Shield, giving himself lots of HP. Then the archmage steals the enchantment and puts it on the leprechuan. The archmage adds whatever other buffs he can. The level 70 is content to sit around doing nothing while the leprechuan goes to war against the megadragon.

Solution 2, also hotseat. Cherko plays a grandmaster-of-all-spells superarchmage versus a megadragon content to sit at the end of the battlefield. The superarchmage has plenty of time to add pretty much all buffs in the game before the fight begins, so it isn't a realistic scenario either.

csarmi says he created a 26-hp Leprechuan. I'm puzzled. Since prayer doesn't work on leprechuans, am I right in saying that the only way to increase a creature's hit points is to cast dragon strength?

Without any mods plus equilibris, we can't stack hydra health on dragon strength on giant strength. But even if all three were stacked, shouln't that mean 8hp x 2 x 1.25 x 1.25 =25 hp?

----

I also remember Chris Tiahrt's maps from Heroes 3. They were very difficult for an unexceptional player like me.

I never managed to finish that map where you have only one peasant and set out to conquer the universe.

Would like to hear what everyone thinks.

Here's the original post:

viewtopic.php?t=1074&highlight=champions

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

I believe it can be done only with tactics

Unread postby TheUnknown » 20 Jul 2010, 07:25

I did a test, if you have warden and field marshal on the side of the leprechaun and you cast every possible blessing spell (no reviving spells) on him and also you cast every possible curse on the Mega Dragon (no damaging spells) and I also used ghosts to cast aging on the dragon. With all this stuff and using the defend command on your leprechaun when the Mega Dragon attacks he only does 16 damage which is 4 less then the max 20 hp.

P.S. You may even use mantises to decrease the damage from the Mega Dragon.

With normal GM tactics and all the spells, no ghosts or other creatures, the Mega Dragon does 22 damage to a defensive leprechaun which means he kills it.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 20 Jul 2010, 15:41

Thanks a lot, theUnknown!

But that still leaves open the question. How did CSarmi get his 26hp Lep? By cheating?

Also, how do you use mantises to reduce damage? If I am not mistaken, the arc breath affects everyone equally. Anchoring the Megadragon a short distance from the Leprechuan shoulnd't make a dif.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Jul 2010, 18:05

Afaik I never seen csarmi cheating. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: how does a leprechuan kill a megadragon?

Unread postby Pitsu » 22 Jul 2010, 18:21

cjlee wrote: Without any mods plus equilibris, we can't stack hydra health on dragon strength on giant strength. But even if all three were stacked, shouln't that mean 8hp x 2 x 1.25 x 1.25 =25 hp?
It is 26 HP. Because when casting in order 8hp x 1.25 = 10hp, 10hp x 1.25 = 12.5 rounded to 13hp and 13hp x 2 = 26 hp. Even if you cast the spells in "worse" order 8->16->20->25, the system recalculates it, giving you 26hp. Did a fresh install of H4+equilibris and so it works.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 21 Mar 2013, 07:45

I apologize for this act of necromancy, but I just find this too amusing.

So I'm browsing this forum (which apparently doesn't have a search feature?) for the first time in years trying to find any hints as to how to beat the first map of the WoW Might campaign, and I stumble upon a 2010 thread discussing something insignificant I said in 2006...

Clearly, this is my legacy. And for anyone who's wondering, solution 1 is exactly how I did it.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 22 Mar 2013, 18:27

Wouldn't it work to use martyr?
Assuming there is 1 megadragon, and you have 1 lep with an archmage with order, nature, death, life, tactics.
Cast Hypnotize, slow, quicksand, teleport etc. to keep the dragon occupied at the beginning, then buffs on the lep, martyr, aura of fear, etc. Curses etc. on the megadragon. Dragon strength & Giant strength on your hero to increase hp, heavenly shield, etc.
Cover battlefield in quicksand, then terrain walk on the lep before finally sending him in.
This is just my thoughts, never actually tried this.

For the WoW might campaign first map, what I do is right off the bat go directly down and take the first life town on like day 3 or 4 with Mongo & the gnashers. The hero & strong army will usually be away. The computer will take it back, but you can take gold & production away from him for a turn or two, then while the comp takes that town back you sneak over and take his other town. Buy any monks and move them out of the castle, the comp. will take back town again, but you continue to harass him until you get enough monks etc. to move them into one of the town so he can't take it back. Then after you got the purple controlled you are set and can take your time.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”