Favorite 4th level troops; Heart of the mid levels

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Your favorite 4th lvl troops are...

... Crusaders
11%
Medusa Queens
2%
Greater Basiliks
2%
Horned Demons
No votes
Horned Demons
No votes
Vampire Lords
39%
Silver Pegasi
3%
Ogre Magi
3%
Archmagi
8%
Energy Elementals
6%
Sharpshooters
26%

Total votes: 62

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Favorite 4th level troops; Heart of the mid levels

Unread postby Nucleon » 08 Mar 2006, 17:52

The mid-level troops; Now that's getting interesting. These troops are supposed to a boost at the start of the games, and it is expected that they last up until the very end.

There are some similitudes between these troops; There exists no horde buildings for any of them, all of them producing 4 units (but for two exeptions), all of theirs attacks and Defense ratings orbit at around 9-12, Damages 6-9, and health 30-40.

Here are the candidates:

Crusaders; A serious one. Devastating in damage, solid in defense, not so costly, they're going to be tough to ignore.

Medusa Queens; A ranged attack, but is that a plus? Nucleon always thought that they would better without, because of their petrifying melee attack. Not much shots neither, althought with the Ammo Cart... Capped at 8, their damage is also marginal, as is their speed. Their skills are relatively low/average, but their cost is okay for it.

Greater Basiliks; Another under-rated grunt unit from Forteress. Same special effect than M-Queens, but with more skill, resilience, speed and damage. All this for only 70 golds more. There there allright.

Horned Demons. There really should have been a horde buildings for these, instead of the Cerberi one. They're cheap (the cheapest, in fact), self-sustained with Pit Lords, and appreciably though and rugged. a bit on the slow side, however.

Vampire Lords; We all have learned to fear and admire at the same time these self-sustaining monsters, from whom non-living have a lot less to care. Because, they have their flaws; They have average skills and below average damage. However their speed, mobility, resilience are up there. Another serious one.

Silver Pegasi; They stick out of the lot by their sheer speed and mobility. And they're cheap. And easy on the eyes. Below average skills and health however remind you that this is not an assault unit.

Ogre Magi (many plurals in latin form "i" or "ae" in this level, isn't it?); A health powerhouse. They can take much, and give even more, if they weren't so desperatly slow. Their special hability is also great; If you can't get there, cast the spell!

Archmagi; Splendid ranged attackers, with no real weaknesses, and strangely enough, able to do as much damage in melee. The spellcasting support is also great. A most fine unit, by all means, well worth the slightly higher cost.

Energy Elementals; Mediocre troops, albeit reasonnably fast and flying. They deal a miserable damage, that's the problem. Ennemies are ignoring them, now that's insulting.

Sharpshooters; Here is a unit that will get many votes, because it is a ranged attack with excellent damage. And they negate ranged penalties, too, althought they also have half the health... Dang, it infuriates Nucleon when the ennemy kills his precious Sharpshooters!

Werewolves; A WoG creature, ugly but damn effective. Cheap at 300g, skilled with 10/12, Fast with 7, with low/average damage range (6-9) and health (35). However, these little buggers have a 20% chance (doubled during full moons!) of turning their ennemies into werewolves themselves -forever-, which make them great versus big levels and as single-creature armies. They're quite entertaining to play, Nucleon must say.

So by all means vote, and argue!

[Edit] The poll "does not want" to display the last option, Werewolves. Fans of the beast, please restrain to vote from something else and express your choice with a comment in its stead!
Last edited by Nucleon on 08 Mar 2006, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.
(Translated from Silent Speak)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Mar 2006, 17:54

The thread title and poll title refer to different creature levels.

But of the creatures you have listed, Vampire Lords by a mile. Sharpshooters are great, but too hard to get in large numbers.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 08 Mar 2006, 17:57

Corribus wrote:The thread title and poll title refer to different creature levels.
Brrbrrmmm...

Fixed!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Mar 2006, 18:38

Crusaders... love the double attack... love the way they look.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Mar 2006, 18:53

Vampire Lords. If they only would go "Blah!", they'd be perfect...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 08 Mar 2006, 19:02

Gaidal Cain wrote:Vampire Lords. If they only would go "Blah!", they'd be perfect...
My words ...

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 08 Mar 2006, 19:37

vote Blah!
I mean Vampire Lords.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Mar 2006, 19:59

Vote ogres

Those green fellas have saved my neck plenty of times after the rest of the tropps have been killed.
Sharpshooters arent bad either and if I only could install WOG properly the werewolves would replace my ogre choice at once, have played those lycans only at my friends pc and they are really good units.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Mar 2006, 20:15

Orfinn wrote:Vote ogres
Oh, quit sucking up to AS. We all know that nobody really likes ogres.. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 09 Mar 2006, 03:41

An error...Sharpshooters are level 5 creatures (at least, according to the editor).

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Mar 2006, 05:12

Banedon wrote:An error...Sharpshooters are level 5 creatures (at least, according to the editor).
Their price and production of four per week suggest otherwise.

Let Nucleon guess; You kinda like them, do you?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Mar 2006, 06:58

I love sharpshooters,but I went with vampires.They are always my number 1!

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 09 Mar 2006, 08:46

A weekly production of 4 indicates a level 6 creature.

And yes, I like them. It'd be difficult not to like them, considering their great power. But they're not level 4. So I can't vote them.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Mar 2006, 08:56

Banedon wrote:An error...Sharpshooters are level 5 creatures (at least, according to the editor).
Nope,they are level 4.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Mar 2006, 13:58

Banedon wrote:A weekly production of 4 indicates a level 6 creature.
With a castle, yes. However external dwellings (there are no in-town Sharpshooter dwellings) does not benefit from castles.

Looks like you just lose your vote, my friend. Who did you vote for instead of Sharpshooters?

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 09 Mar 2006, 14:35

I voted Silver Pegasi.

When I first started playing H3, I'd often go with Aeris as my main hero just to pump them. Vampire Lords are more powerful and versatile on the whole, but I just like Pegasi better. The spell point increase can really annoy enemy heroes, as well.

As for Sharpshooters, my main objection is that you either have to have Gelu (whom I hate -- why they ever made him a main character is beyond me) or get an external dwelling to buy them. External dwellings are rabidly inefficient.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Mar 2006, 15:13

Bandobras Took wrote:I voted Silver Pegasi.

When I first started playing H3, I'd often go with Aeris as my main hero just to pump them. Vampire Lords are more powerful and versatile on the whole, but I just like Pegasi better. The spell point increase can really annoy enemy heroes, as well.
Silver Pegasi (and furthermore Aeris) are great for messenger/transporter heroes; You get them a couple, and they can enter deep into ennemy terrory without much chances of getting caught.

The problem with S-Pegs, is that too often their players are tempted to use them as an assault unit, often with disastrous results.
As for Sharpshooters, my main objection is that you either have to have Gelu (whom I hate -- why they ever made him a main character is beyond me) or get an external dwelling to buy them. External dwellings are rabidly inefficient.
Nucleon can empathize with that; He too does not like much most of the extension heroes, that are munchkingly made without an imaginative concept, These, and Mullich, are proof that the later you designed them, the bigger the chance that they will be overblown.

And Sharpshooters are way too fragile...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Mar 2006, 21:31

Bandobras Took wrote: As for Sharpshooters, my main objection is that you either have to have Gelu (whom I hate -- why they ever made him a main character is beyond me)
That or play Tarnum in the Clash of the Dragons chronicles.
:creative:

As for the poll, the most obvious and popular choices, the vampires and the sharpshooters, are among my favourites as well, but I will vote for another of my favourites - the basilisk - just to even out the odds a little, and in the interest of being more original. ;) I like them because they are sturdy walkers with a cool special.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Mar 2006, 22:20

From the list, I have to choose Sharpshooter because they are ranged & have no obstacle-range penalty. And I reall like them a lot. If anyone plays with the WoG mod, there are also Snow Sharpshooters & Lava Sharpshooters & I think they get two shots. Hooray for Sharpshooters! :applause:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

SventheCrusader
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SventheCrusader » 09 Mar 2006, 22:48

I voted for Sharpshooters. Words can't describe how good they are! They're the best of all ranged troops!
Sven Svensson, the Crusader:

One man who really needs to stay committed to this "sticking around" thing.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”