H2 Broken/bugged Maps

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
gandam
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H2 Broken/bugged Maps

Unread postby gandam » 29 May 2010, 14:13

Hello,

I like making h2 maps from time to time, but the crappy error prone editor and immense effort of coming up with a nice layout usually discourage me from getting down to it. Making a good unique map is really hard and takes a lot of time and creativity. After 2 weeks, I finally managed to come up with as really good design, but to my dismay, I found out -rather later- that the map was bugged.

Whenever I place an object in an invalid placement, the map will inevitably crash if I try saving or loading another map, turning any continuation past this point fruitless. The same happens sometimes when I edit events, signs, rumors, etc, and this has been really ticking me off. Completing the map now would take me at least twice the amount of time, and I see but a stressing journey ahead, am I to finish this map.

So, is there any way to fix broken/bugged maps? I'm confident more ppl have fallen into this pit, so maybe I could get some help.

I've already tried renaming the file, renaming the map in any case, but apparently the problem lies in its data. I do not recall of any erratic action while developing this map that could induce this bizarre bug. I did what I always do when making maps. Other maps work fine.

Remaking the map is unfortunately not much of an option, as it would take far too long and I don't have the patience of taking that path. It's this sort of bad luck that makes me want to give up on h2 for good, but I love it so much, it's the best of all heroes series for me. :(

One solution I thought of, would be to copy the code section that defines the terrain layout into a new clean map file (that'd work assuming the faulty part is not within the terrain section), as I haven't really added that many objects to the map yet. But the problem is I don't know how to rule out this section or of any tools that could assist me on doing that.

Patashu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Patashu » 07 Oct 2010, 00:33

Have you tried opening the map in a hex editor and seeing if there are large swaths of same-values in a pattern resembling the minimap?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”