The Eye of Osiris

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The Eye of Osiris

Unread postby Koni » 23 May 2010, 08:24

Thanks to ByteBandit there is a new H4-WoW map available since today.

Map description:

"For a long time, all had lived a quiet life in this world. But now the eternal struggle between Good and Evil has rekindled. Once again, an unknown menace out of the darkness starts to threaten the upper worlds with chaos and disharmony and tries to tear all lifekind apart with his claws. Now the time has come, when the world needs new heroes, who can put Evil in its place. A Barbarian named Falkhor is destined to summon a party of brave fellow campaigners and to dare the impossible. Will he succeed in saving the world?"

It is a campaign-like RP-map with a huge story. You will not regret playing, if you try it first on normal difficulty. Playing with Equilibris is possible, but more challenging, because you can't collect so many vampires.

Thanks to ByteBandit for his immense efforts in improving the English texts.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 23 May 2010, 13:24

I saw on Kartenarchiv that it got some pretty impressive reviews.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 25 May 2010, 16:40

Nice guy, who just voted a 1 for the map without playing. :??

edit: The map earns the vote 1 - it's unplayable!!! Sorry! (See next post!)

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 02 Jun 2010, 14:01

Renaud, a player in maps4heroes, comments that he can't attack the dark garrison in the volcano behind the long bridge in the far west.

I repeat my answer to him here:

"Big bug, I apologize!
Omg, renaud, you have found a big bug, what happened when the German version (which hasn't this bug) was converted to the English version: all "Dark Garrisons" (kwown from Equilibris) where replaced by normal black ones. Since these garrisons need minor basic room, a mountain now blocks the garrison entrance behind the long bridge to the volcano.

My fault, that I didn't playtest the English version properly enough before sending it for upload. I'll work like a berserker to eliminate this annoying bug and can only apologize to all players who have started this map and now have to stop. I hope you all will restart the map as soon as the unbugged version is ready. I'll inform you at once. Sorry, sorry."

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Jun 2010, 15:28

As soon as the map is available I will put it up and let everyone know that it's up. Who could've forseen a problem between the German and English versions? Don't beat yourself over the head, Koni. Anyone could have missed it because it's something you just don't expect. :D

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Jun 2010, 20:04

Downloadet it days ago and can't wait to play it! Unfortunately, I have all these exams to finish first :mad:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 03 Jun 2010, 12:26

@Steve, bug fixed, the updated map is on the way to you.

@Milla: You can feel lucky, that you haven't started yet. And I would be lucky, if you would finish your exams soon! :-D

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 03 Jun 2010, 13:26

The updated version has been uploaded now. For those of you who have the older version, you may want to download it again as of this date. Thanks for doing it quickly, Koni. :D

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 17 Jul 2010, 07:07

A comment of a player in maps4heroes:

Author: Scout, 17-07-2010 03:41
Good job!
A gorgeously done map! I can tell you put lots and lots of effort into it. The story was excellent, though quite heavy at times - so much to read! On a few occasions I had some difficulty getting what you meant because the language wasn't a 100% perfect but really that's fine. I suppose a lot of people are asking all these questions here because they've not read the story thoroughly. I had no difficulty whatsoever fulfilling all the tasks and getting through the obstacles and obtaining the various items required - all one needs to do is actually read the story.

:-D :D

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

I'm sorry but map is still buggy

Unread postby cjlee » 21 Jul 2010, 13:17

Hello!

I must thank you all for kindly creating and maintaining this wonderful site for Heroes fans.

That said, your map Eye of Osiris still has bugs.

I suspect that the translation into English has changed some names which in turn affected the scripting.

Here are a few bugs. These represent only the bugs in the first 1/4 of the surface map, which is only 1/8 the entire map:

Three Thunderbird minor quest sometimes fails. You have to wait a few days, buy one more thunderbird, and miraculously they recognize your new bird.

Elven forest minor quest gives you +251 morale and +251 luck instead.

Elven Bow sometimes not recognized.

Olfish doesn't always recognize you killing the slavedriver knight.

I've been able to pass all quests so far because I have a habit of making many savegames. I reload an earlier one, do the quest, and if it doesn't activate I wait a day and try again.

But it's obvious that map remains buggy. Sorry to have to tell you the bad news.
Last edited by cjlee on 21 Jul 2010, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Jul 2010, 15:23

The translation does not affect the scripting. If it dtd, the map simply would'nt play.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 21 Jul 2010, 17:01

I can only "agree" to the moral bug, it is "in the game", although the script is written correct with + 1 morale bonus.

All other "bugs" how you call them have never ever appeared in all my 4 test runs and in tests of a neutral player, neither in the German original nor in the translated version.

The Thunderbird quest has a placed event, which is triggered when you visit the dwelling and buy the 3 birds. You have to buy them, because I didn't want to solve the quest with 3 birds bought in the home town. :)

Maybe the Elven Bow isn't recognized yet if you don't own the Rossfeste stronghold.

The Olfish script says Gerard has to be killed only, not imprisoned. Maybe I should have better added this condition. That's right.

Please report about other detected "bugs". Thanks!

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 21 Jul 2010, 19:06

um... it's been astonishingly easy so far. Am playing on normal difficulty as recommended.

Really doesn't seem to be a Championship map. More like novice. It may be the easiest map I've ever played in Heroes 4.

I've been following the story because it's quite interesting, but it's way too easy and I'll probably give up in boredom.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 22 Jul 2010, 09:31

I never had assumed that the map was for everybody's "gusto" and skills. Why don't you play on Championship if you feel like a real Champion?
But do what you want to do. :)

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 22 Jul 2010, 14:56

I rarely play on Champion difficulty as I've never thought that I am of 'Champion' caliber. My experience with other mapmakers, especially the sadistic Ururuam Turuam, have taught me that when most mapmakers say 'Champion' they mean just that.

I remember one map where your level 2 hero plus a few weak units have to fight a mantis, and another one (adventures of wren) where your very first battle is an incredible pain. Even playing on Novice is tough. That's what a Champion map should be like.

This map is obviously wrongly rated and should be re-rated to Novice or at most Normal. That way people know what they are getting. I appreciate the maker's very extensive storytelling, but his map is not as difficult as anything Jeff, Sarvi or Wimfrits makes, and should not be given the same rating.

Not even 1/8 into the map and my main hero already can kill 20 level 4s per shot. I haven't done anything special; just picked up all possible artifacts and visited all possible stat boosts along the way (at least 100 points can be added!). It's a mechanical thing, not like Psychobabble's My Brother's Keeper map where you need creativity to keep your hero alive. Eye of Osiris is even less balanced than Mike Johnson's Alexandra the Great.

I gave up in boredom after getting Mephala or whatever that Elven heroine's name is. The computer gave her a Pandora's box with another Robe of the Guardian inside and told me to buy four Scrolls of Hypnosis for all my future heroes. It's kind of obvious how the rest of the map will turn out. At every quarter of the map, your hero will pick up another hero, then you will have to all revisit all stat boosts previously visited to bring the new hero up to speed. Eventually you will get a bunch of ultra powerful level 70s with Robe of Guardian and Hypnotize... yawn. Alexandra the Great several times over!

Your heroes will always survive the first assault, they will cast hypnotize, and the rest of the battle is preordained...

Psychobabble suggested 'Less is More' for Alexandra the Great, and I agree for this map as well. I appreciate Koni's 1) creativity in creating interesting worlds 2) effort 3) story building, but it's way too big and way too much. A tiny map like what Chris Tiahrt (Plan B) or Thunder (Trapped inside the Beast) made could be extremely enjoyable to players without requiring so much work on the mapmaker's part. Check out Charley Watkins' maps for good overall storyline plus challenge.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 22 Jul 2010, 16:20

Thanks, cjlee! Now I understand your point of view. This map cannot (and never wanted) compete with the great work of the mapmakers, mentioned by you. My main intention was interesting storytelling combined with quests and elements in RPG style, not with weight on challenging combats and fighting. I can agree so far to your critical statement.

Nevertheless my hope is that many players enjoy the map, and there are more positive comments like Scout's one. ;)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 22 Jul 2010, 16:54

There are certainly worse maps out there than this one, I can tell you that much. :D

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 24 Jul 2010, 18:12

Another positive comment I got today via pm from the USA:

Just wanted to let you know that we finished the map and really enjoyed it.
For what it's worth, we played at champion level and our final score was:
1150 (Megadragon).

Sincerely,
Donald and Linda Bryant

Thanks a lot!

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 23 Sep 2010, 21:35

A mighty fine map you've made there sirs. It's up there with Draconic no doubt. Just one silly bug that happened to me, when you need to bring those 3 thunderbirds from a nest near by to that quest tower in the land of chaos it seemed to ignore me even though i had them in my army. Luckly you can work around it and just split the 3 thunderbirds and send them alone to the quest tower and you lose only 2 and complete the quest ;D

zoetropo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zoetropo » 08 Feb 2014, 07:49

Major bug near end: slew the Djinni Queen (outside her castle) and the Djinni King (once inside the castle, and on replay running away from me). Took Djinni Royal family's Adamantine Armour and Shield (the only ones I have) to the gate that needs them. Gate refuses to recognise who I got them from and won't let me through.

Times like this I wish for Dimension Door!

Geoffrey Tobin

Return to “Heroes I-IV”