Heroes II Remake

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
themasterthiever
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes II Remake

Unread postby themasterthiever » 07 Mar 2006, 16:29

I, and several others I think, are interested in seeing Heroes II refurbished, similar to how Equilibris refurbished Heroes IV. We would like to see added features, such as shared vision for allies and trading resources amongst players. We would also like to see perhaps a new town and the correction of some balance issues. Heroes II is my favorite game of all time, and I would really like to see it updated.

Is there anyone out there who agrees?
Pax tecum

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Mar 2006, 16:33

That would be fantastic!
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 07 Mar 2006, 17:15

That would be greate!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Mar 2006, 17:17

That would be... difficult to do! ;)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 07 Mar 2006, 17:19

I have been thinking about reworked H2 with high resolution graphics, some changes in balance and additional features. Unfortunately i lack the skills and time to do it.

themasterthiever
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby themasterthiever » 07 Mar 2006, 18:55

Yes, I certainly don't know how to do it- but I wish someone would give it a try :D
Pax tecum

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Heroes II Remake

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Mar 2006, 21:46

themasterthiever wrote:I, and several others I think, are interested in seeing Heroes II refurbished, similar to how Equilibris refurbished Heroes IV. We would like to see added features, such as shared vision for allies and trading resources amongst players.
Agreed. It's particularly annoying to only see enemy movement in the last player's field of view when playing cooperative hotseat.
themasterthiever wrote:We would also like to see perhaps a new town and the correction of some balance issues.
Heroes II has a balance problem? Where? The only problem I can think of is Ghosts. They should revert to being unhirable. Also, what sort of town would you like to see added? The Forge, maybe?

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 07 Mar 2006, 22:40

The project group should go by the name...

The Forge Township!

Seriously though. I would love for someone to look at the source code and see what could done to either tweak the game so that it easily runs on XP w/o the CD and all sorts of other stuff. To improve the speed and limit the crashes... Also, the addition of a wait/defend button - although I'm not sure how that would work.

What we really need are some avid codec heads who like to fool around with old game code just for the heck of it! Anyone fit that bill?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Mar 2006, 22:47

Me, i'd be happy with H2 with a higher resolution.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

rhomboidspace
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rhomboidspace » 08 Mar 2006, 02:48

themasterthiever wrote:I, and several others I think, are interested in seeing Heroes II refurbished, similar to how Equilibris refurbished Heroes IV. We would like to see added features, such as shared vision for allies and trading resources amongst players. We would also like to see perhaps a new town and the correction of some balance issues. Heroes II is my favorite game of all time, and I would really like to see it updated.

have you looked at heroes 3, heroes 1, 2, and 3, all use the same base game engine with each one upgrading and altering slightly the one before it, but deep down they're preaty much the same, also if heroes 2 works on your system you might be able to get it to run in windowed mode and get it too what ever size you'd like. you have to edit a few values in your registry, but it's been awhile so i couldn't tell you off hand but do web search for 'Heroes 2 windowed' and you should find it eventually, that's how i found it.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 08 Mar 2006, 02:55

Press F4 while the game is running to run in windowed mode. From there you can select three different resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. Unfortunately, things get choppy for me if I go above 640x480.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 08 Mar 2006, 02:58

gravyluvr wrote:Seriously though. I would love for someone to look at the source code and see what could done to either tweak the game so that it easily runs on XP w/o the CD and all sorts of other stuff. To improve the speed and limit the crashes... Also, the addition of a wait/defend button - although I'm not sure how that would work.

What we really need are some avid codec heads who like to fool around with old game code just for the heck of it! Anyone fit that bill?
The problem with that is that we don't have the source code to look at. The best we can do is look at the disassembled executable in a debugger, which is unintelligible at best. The work done by the WoG and Equilibris teams is nothing short of amazing.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Mar 2006, 13:15

I think it would be an interesting idea to execute, but doubt there are enough people out there with the necessary interest and skills to invest in such a project.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 08 Mar 2006, 15:26

Kristo wrote:The problem with that is that we don't have the source code to look at. The best we can do is look at the disassembled executable in a debugger, which is unintelligible at best. The work done by the WoG and Equilibris teams is nothing short of amazing.
I was kind of hoping that some of those guys were also classic HOMM2 fans.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 08 Mar 2006, 15:32

themasterthiever wrote:I, and several others I think, are interested in seeing Heroes II refurbished, similar to how Equilibris refurbished Heroes IV. We would like to see added features, such as shared vision for allies and trading resources amongst players. We would also like to see perhaps a new town and the correction of some balance issues. Heroes II is my favorite game of all time, and I would really like to see it updated.

Shared vision, player ressource trading, new towns, balance, all of that you wished for exists; It is called heroes III.

That being said, Nucleon surely hopes that you'll get your H2's Equlibris or WoG; it seems there are enough fans left to support such a venture, but the result should still be H3, with more childish graphics and less options still.

As a mapmaker, there very few things that endear H2 to Nucleon.
(Translated from Silent Speak)

WFW-PREDATOR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WFW-PREDATOR » 08 Mar 2006, 19:56

How about calling it:
Heroes 2: Reloaded
I Reject Your Reality, And Substitute My Own!

Guns, Booze, Women, What More Can You Ask For?

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 12 Feb 2007, 08:47

I was planning to mod Heroes II, and I will, but I just want instructions of which programs to use???

PS. I think we should call it: Heroes of Might and Magic II: Restoration of Enroth :D

Return to “Heroes I-IV”