H3: What Are the Best First Level Troops?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What Are Your Favorite 1st LvL Troops?

Pikemen and Halberdiers
13%
Troglodyte and their Infernal Kin
2%
Gnolls and Gnoll Marauders
2%
Imps and Familiars
2%
Imps and Familiars
2%
Skeletons and Skeleton Warriors
12%
Centaurs and their Captains
38%
Goblins and Hobgoblins
2%
Gremlins and Master Gremlins
15%
Pixies and Sprites
7%
Halflings
7%

Total votes: 60

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

H3: What Are the Best First Level Troops?

Unread postby Nucleon » 01 Mar 2006, 16:08

Salutations, H3 enthusiasts.

First lvl monsters: The little guys. The gleefully die for us at the first encountered mines, to be most often forgotten as soon as the first month is over. They're grease for the wheels, unsung heroes and forgotten sacrifices on the altar of victory.

Many of them got a new life with WoG's troop experience system.

Which ones are the most efficient, the most durable towards the end of a game, or the more conveniently useful? Please give a vote of confidence for your favorite grunts.

(Nucleon voluntarly omitted the Peasants, althought they surely are useful for necromancers... Aren't they a 0 lvl troop anyway?)

Vote!
(Translated from Silent Speak)

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 01 Mar 2006, 16:42

Halfings only because I love their ranged attack and numbers.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 01 Mar 2006, 16:59

I was very close to saying halflings.... or master gremlins. Due mostly to their ranged ability. But then I decided skellies because of Necromancy. You can just get a whole lot of them. But now that I think of it I am thinking maybe the ranged troops are better after all.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Mar 2006, 17:19

Gremlins! Because i really hate how Halflings look in H3. Still, I almost picked Pixie/Sprite coz the Gremlins took the place of the Halflings in the Wizard town for no good reason. :( :disagree:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Mar 2006, 18:02

I liked them all, no voting was done. :hoo:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Mar 2006, 18:14

Vote Gnolls. Probably one of the most underestimated units out there.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Mar 2006, 19:39

I voted gemlins/master gremlins.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Mar 2006, 20:35

I go for the centaurs, they are the most expensive but they are worth the gold, sturdy and fast ;)

LordScimitar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordScimitar » 02 Mar 2006, 01:09

I would have picked Master Gremlins if it was just upgraded troops. But unupgraded Gremlins are just so awful its painful.

Thus, Skeletons. The sheer number you can get makes them the only first level unit that still poses a legitimate threat by end game. Command with Animate Dead (especially if you have a commander with the Magic Power) and they become unstoppable. No other unit 1 can claim this.
Gunnar>all.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 02 Mar 2006, 03:27

The most efficient - this has to be Centaur Captains, who deal damage like no other level 1 creature in equal numbers.

The most durable at the end of the game - this goes to Skeleton Warriors, since they'd be in the greatest numbers and thus the most durable.

The most conveniently useful - close one between Sprites and Centaur Captains. The Sprites are most useful clearing mines and all, but later they can't be used to absorb retaliation. Still, they're fast and are terribly useful earlier in the game.

Conclusion: I don't know what to vote for. :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Mar 2006, 06:48

Voted skellies,although I like pixies as well.Pikemen and centaurs are also excelent to have,but they die out quicklier than these two.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 02 Mar 2006, 08:41

Conlux is the only town where I can jump from lvl1 units to lvl7 units, so my vote for most useful unit goes to sprites.

Could have voted centaurs as well though. Centaurs alone can take you a long way at the start (but elves are just too good to pass). But centaurs also seem the most efficient backup creatures. Their speed and damage allows them to get in decent hits in about every fight; even in later stages of the game.

I don't understand all the gremlin votes...
Though ranged is surely overpowered in this game, master gremlins are the exception to the rule imo. They do incredibly low damage and are too slow to be useful; especially after the gremlin-rush-fix.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 02 Mar 2006, 08:49

A Gremlin-rush existed? :| I've never found them threatening.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Mar 2006, 08:54

Yes, back when RoE was released, Tower heroes came with about 80 gremlins. Coupled with the fact that troops and movement points were reset when the hero fled, amassing huge amounts of gremlins became easy if you had some luck with what you had near your castle.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 02 Mar 2006, 08:56

Banedon wrote:A Gremlin-rush existed? :| I've never found them threatening.
In the original game, new tower heroes started with like 60 gremlins. In small maps, tower could buy an additional hero, upgrade the workshop and start off towards an opponent with about 150 master gremlins. There's little any side could do about that.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Mar 2006, 09:27

I just noticed something- the thread topic asks for best Level 1 creature, but the question above the poll asks about favourite. Since these aren't the same (I clearly wouldn't have voted Gnolls if it were for "best" creature), I would like to know which one is intended?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Mar 2006, 11:49

Orfinn wrote:I go for the centaurs, they are the most expensive but they are worth the gold, sturdy and fast ;)
I concur. They are one of the rare level 1 units I actually appreciate having in my army.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 02 Mar 2006, 13:05

I'm all for the centaurs too. I think they are the most useful later on, they're among the toughest (can't remember if pikemen/halberdiers have the same HP). Unfortunately, I have yet to play an H3 game with necromancy, so I can't attest to skeletons. However, in a one-on-one battle, I think the centaurs would come out on top.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 Mar 2006, 14:47

Had to vote for Centaurs as the best. Nobody comes close to their speed and overall combat ability on the level one tier.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 02 Mar 2006, 18:11

Oh yeah...

I want to change my vote. I voted for Master Gremlins but as the "best" in my gameplay.

They are far from my favorite.

I have to go with the Centaurs (my favorite from HOMM 1-2 also).

Centaurs are cool. Gremlins are silly and should never have replaced the halflings. But Master Gremlins can help you clear way too much in early game not to be considered as best.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”