Hero stuck in an endless loop?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Moderator: Moderators

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Hero stuck in an endless loop?

Postby Metathron » Oct 25 2009, 10:30

I cannot continue Heroes Chronicles: Masters of the Elements because an enemy hero coming out of one of those two-way portals is stuck in what seems an endless loop - going in, coming out,..., but not actually using up his movement. Has anyone else witnessed something like this in any of the HoMM III games?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

JackintheMox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby JackintheMox » Oct 25 2009, 12:06

Yes, this used to happen to me semi-regularly. There has been a few times that the AI finally decided to do something else after starting one of the loops but I have elected to just quit and load on others. Are you playing a campaign or scenario? I don't recall this happening during a campaign, just scenarios or randomly generated maps. Also, I noticed the behavior happened much less often after SoD for some reason.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Hero stuck in an endless loop?

Postby klaymen » Oct 25 2009, 12:27

Metathron wrote:Has anyone else witnessed something like this in any of the HoMM III games?

Sure, this is IMO well known bug.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Postby GreatEmerald » Oct 25 2009, 14:59

Yeap, happened to me once in a random map. Workaround: go eat a snack. After that the AI usually finally realises that it's an endless loop and goes do something else.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Metathron » Oct 25 2009, 19:16

The game it happened in was Heroes Chronicles, so it was in a campaign.

Are you serious about just leaving things be and they'll resolve themselves? Because it didn't seem to me like the AI would ever complete its turn and it surely had used its movement long ago.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Postby GreatEmerald » Oct 25 2009, 19:52

Yeap, I'm serious. I even pressed Replay Turn after that happened (to see if anyone else moved), and it got stuck in the loop again. Good thing you can cancel Replay Turn...

Yurian Stonebow
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Yurian Stonebow » Oct 26 2009, 22:40

I've seen this annoying bug taking place many times in Heroes III, especially in the Restoration of Erathia. Also, map makers should take notice to avoid placing multiple two-way portals on a map (if it's not required by the very nature of the map in question). Just my two €uro cents.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”