Favorite terrain type in Heroes games

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Favorite adventure map terrain

Grass/Forestlands
50%
Dirt plains
7%
Snow
21%
Rough wastelands
14%
Sand
No votes
Underground caverns
No votes
Lava
No votes
Water
7%

Total votes: 14

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Favorite terrain type in Heroes games

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Sep 2009, 23:43

Note that Heroes 2 had effectively two "sand" terrains.. Beach and Desert. But since they got merged in H3 I did so here too.

I vote for rough wastelands, I especially liked the bright orange color it had in Heroes 2, along with its bleak music theme.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 16 Sep 2009, 06:02

Voted grass/forest lands. Coming from the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. it only made sense. :D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Sep 2009, 17:54

This is tough, but I doubt that thinking about it will make the choice easier, so I'll go with...swamp. The one from HoMM II, along with its music. Had quite a magical feel to it.

The only ones I would never pick are lava (burnt rocks and trees make me feel depressed), and especially underground - hate it!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 16 Sep 2009, 17:57

I just need to finish up some work on Heroes 1, 4 and 5 terrain music and I'll eventually put up a music evolution for each ^_^
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 16 Sep 2009, 18:16

Metathron and Shyranis:

Yeah, the terrain music evolution is a good idea.

Personally I always thought Heroes 3's terrain music ALL STINK except for maybe Water.

You wanna know what is the BEST substitute game for terrain music MP3 aside from those from HOMM1 & HOMM2 & HOMM4?

Might and Magic 6 !

Yes, by far the best themes to use. Don't even try to argue with me! :D

Grass: Either of the first two "grass" themes work best. The songs you hear in New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist, among many other grassy areas. Music tracks 01 and 02 on the MM6 CD

Dirt: - The third "grass" theme from MM6 fits best for Dirt. Music track 03 on the MM6 CD.

Rough: Free Haven theme sounds best for some reason. Sounds bleak and desolate, yet peaceful. (Track 15)

Snow: The snow theme from MM6, obviously. (Track 11)

Swamp: The swamp/night theme from MM6, of course! (Track 12)

Desert: The dragonsand theme, of course! (Track 05)

Lava: The devils' HQ area theme, of course! (Track 04)

Underground: You have five absolutely evil, foreboding, marvelous, DARK dungeon themes to choose from in MM6. Tracks: 06, 07, 08, 13, and 14. With 08 being my personal favorite.

Nothing really fits water, though, but oh well, but HOMM3's isn't too bad, like I said.

Tracks 09 and 10 from MM6 CD are left unused. 09 is the Arena/Character Creation theme, and 10 is the Futuristic theme. None of them would work in a Heroes game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Sep 2009, 18:51

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Tracks 09 and 10 from MM6 CD are left unused. 09 is the Arena/Character Creation theme, and 10 is the Futuristic theme. None of them would work in a Heroes game.
Hey, what do you mean the futuristic theme wouldn't fit? What about the Forge? :P

And IMO the Snow theme of HoMM3 is awesome. It even fits better than Sunlit/Moonlit Snow Journey from MM6 with its wind and the minor sound (it's winter there, you know).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Sep 2009, 20:25

Hmm... I like swamps from H1-2 (but not for next games) and also lava terrian (but not from HV :P) but my the most liked terrian will be Badlands from H2 (wizard lands).
BTW - I wonder what new :p terrian Forge could have?

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 17 Sep 2009, 00:19

I voted for Snow. It consistently had the best terrain musical themes throughout the series, except for HV, which had no theme.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 17 Sep 2009, 03:33

Favorite terrain music? Hmm... I really don't know on this one. All of the terrains have at least one good theme associated with them (mostly Heroes II and III, but V is decent as well.)
Back from the dead? Maybe.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 17 Sep 2009, 05:09

Deadguy118 wrote:Favorite terrain music? Hmm... I really don't know on this one. All of the terrains have at least one good theme associated with them (mostly Heroes II and III, but V is decent as well.)
This poll isn't necessary about only the music, but about the graphics as well, the decorating objects usually associated with each terrain.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Sep 2009, 15:41

Love the Dirt music themes in H2 and 3. Snow comes in second for its H3 theme, which was beautiful.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 17 Sep 2009, 21:16

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
Deadguy118 wrote:Favorite terrain music? Hmm... I really don't know on this one. All of the terrains have at least one good theme associated with them (mostly Heroes II and III, but V is decent as well.)
This poll isn't necessary about only the music, but about the graphics as well, the decorating objects usually associated with each terrain.
Yes, I'll do the music threads for terrain when I finally get everything made semi-satisfactorily =D
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”