The Minimap Rating Test : Volunteers needed !

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The Minimap Rating Test : Volunteers needed !

Unread postby Veldrynus » 27 Feb 2006, 20:28

I am doing some statistical research here on map downloads and popularity. Everybody who is member of this forum, qualifies to participate in it.

If anybody is interrested in helping me, please send me a PM.

The file is here :
https://www.celestialheavens.com/admin/ ... Rating.zip

The results should be sent to my email address:
veldrynus@yahoo.com

[Thread moved from from the Mapmaking Guild.]
Last edited by Veldrynus on 02 Mar 2006, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 28 Feb 2006, 13:18

What do you want us to do??

The mind boggles at the possiblities.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 28 Feb 2006, 15:16

Ok, I give some more info on this project. As some of you might remember Psychobabble did a statistical analysis on map popularity :
http://www.forumplanet.com/strategyplan ... 368389&p=1
He was using variables like, alphabetical position,size, version, ratings and such. I am doing basicaly the same thing but I will include other variables too. The "minimap attractivenes" is one of them.
People who will participate in this research, will receive a file including several minimaps and they have to rate them on a scale 1 to 5. It is a very simple task. I need many people as possible to make the results even more precise. I will use the average rating for each map do determine the final score.

I NEED MORE PEOPLE !!!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Feb 2006, 15:22

I can rate minimaps -- I just don't have time for number crunching. So count me in.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 28 Feb 2006, 17:31

If all I have to do is rate minimaps, sure, count me in.
I'm back!!!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 28 Feb 2006, 18:12

Bring on the minimaps.
Grah!

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 28 Feb 2006, 22:09

Just a notice to minimap raters, if you don't rate all picture maps with a 5 your input won't be taken into account.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 28 Feb 2006, 22:29

Wildbear wrote:Just a notice to minimap raters, if you don't rate all picture maps with a 5 your input won't be taken into account.
Yeah ! And, if you don't rate all my maps with 5, your ratings will be instantly deleted. ;)

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 28 Feb 2006, 22:33

Oh and all S maps must get 1 ! :rofl:
Image Spiritu Insanum

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 01 Mar 2006, 03:19

I can do that! I just don't have time to PLAY a lot of maps. And, honestly, I've downloaded more maps than I ever got around to playing. Plus, I've got a lot of maps that I play tested and then never got the completed version. So, I was kind of leary of what you wanted us to do... like answer questions about the maps that we downloaded or something.

But rating Mini Maps? No Sweat! Just post the pics here and we can all just PM you with our answers. - But no fair discussing them on the forums! That would skew the vote.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 01 Mar 2006, 03:51

There are 188 minimaps, that's about 4.3MB of data, I think the forum is not the right place to do that ;)
Image Spiritu Insanum

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 01 Mar 2006, 07:08

I've downloaded the file but it is corrupted and I can't unpack it. Is it just me...? Should I simply try again? (It's not fun with 56k)

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 01 Mar 2006, 07:28

@ Vlaad

The file is NOT corrupted. It would be nice if you try it again. I have a looong experience with 56K modems, and I know the pains involved in this business. Unfortunately, I need many answers as possible, so your input is usefull here.

@ Everybody

Just, ignore WB's advice on giving only 1 ratings to minimaps. He only tries to be destructive. :tongue:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Mar 2006, 07:55

Veldrynus wrote:@ Vlaad

The file is NOT corrupted.
Yes,dont you have faith in Veldrynus?He would never send you a corrupted file or a virus.It is just a coincidence that I never oppened that file from my home computer :devious: :devil:

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 01 Mar 2006, 08:13

I am willing to join the project as well:)

My e-mail address is: logan@heroesportal.net
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 01 Mar 2006, 12:56

At least now that I know you're sending LOTS of mini maps, I know why you didn't just post them.

You know, some of the maps are duplicated. Can I give Draco more than one score? Do you use the highest one? Or add them together? *giggle*

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 01 Mar 2006, 13:09

There are a few maps wich are used twice. This is because they represent different map versions. It makes the management of results easier for me. Try to give the same ratings if you meet such maps.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 01 Mar 2006, 13:59

Ok, I just sent my 'gut reaction' scores. Most are VERY low. I found myself wishing this were a scale from 1-10 because I kept catching myself thinking "This does not deserve to be in the same rating as THOSE!" Either in a good way or a bad way. I think I ended up giveing some of the better, non-picture maps a lower number than they actually deserved. But this is a VERY interesting project. I can't wait to get home from work to go back to arranging from best to worst (IMHO) and see if I actually give the same rankings twice. I honestly think on some of the scores, I was influenced by what was NEXT to the maps. As in "This is better that THAT... but not as good as that one over there." :D

Fun fun fun!

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 01 Mar 2006, 17:07

You don't need to post your email adresses here.

I've uploaded the zip file to our server. Once Vel acknowledges your participation, he'll send you the link.

(@Vel - If it's easier for you Vel, just post the link here and let anyone send you their answers.)

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 01 Mar 2006, 17:37

Good idea!

The file is here :
https://www.celestialheavens.com/admin/ ... Rating.zip

The results should be sent to my email address:
veldrynus@yahoo.com

Return to “Heroes I-IV”